What's new

Asus GT-AC2900 maximize speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darkje

So I was wondering the following. Are there ways to maximize throughput speed on the router.

I have 1gb fiber tagged on vlan.
And two 68u nodes.

I don't use the protection stuff from Asus.

Are there any tweaks to utilize the 1gb fiber. I manage to get 920down/820up.

But with default router I get 960/960

So something is in the way of the whole shabang....

There could be a few reasons, but generally 920 mbps already is a real world gigabit speed...

Login ito your router and check WAN MTU size at the bottom. Is it 1500?

Check via "cmd" prompt in windows your correct WAN MTU size. Follow this guide, it might help...

You don't need to tweak anything. Your router is running fine. Disable all TrendMicro stuff for maximum throughput, not just AiProtection.

So I was wondering the following. Are there ways to maximize throughput speed on the router.

And two 68u nodes.

940Mbps is the maximum wired speed you’ll get with the overheads.

I have Gigabit symmetrical and and get 920-940Mbps consistently up and down with various Trend Micro components running.

There could be a few reasons, but generally 920 mbps already is a real world gigabit speed...

Login ito your router and check WAN MTU size at the bottom. Is it 1500?

Check via "cmd" prompt in windows your correct WAN MTU size. Follow this guide, it might help...

Yes it is. Also tried the mtu check didn't bring more in the bucket

You don't need to tweak anything. Your router is running fine. Disable all TrendMicro stuff for maximum throughput, not just AiProtection.
All is disabled I don't use it. I was thinking like:

Jumbo frames or Spanning Tree etc etc

And two 68u nodes.

What are you using to test - a wired PC? Honestly you're getting good throughput for an older AC router, watch the CPU and see if it is maxing at 100% during the speed test, I suspect it is. You just have to decide if that small amount of extra bandwidth (950 ish is the limit of gig) is worth a new router or not. Even then, just having the router in the path with firewall, NAT, a bit of extra latency, etc will cut your speed a little bit at least. The people suggesting not using any AiProtection stuff - you need to go in and "unenroll" to disable it completely. But you're probably just hitting the limit of the router.

Are you running both routers (double NAT/daisy chain) as that can add a bit of extra bottleneck too.

What are you using to test - a wired PC? Honestly you're getting good throughput for an older AC router, watch the CPU and see if it is maxing at 100% during the speed test, I suspect it is. You just have to decide if that small amount of extra bandwidth (950 ish is the limit of gig) is worth a new router or not. Even then, just having the router in the path with firewall, NAT, a bit of extra latency, etc will cut your speed a little bit at least. The people suggesting not using any AiProtection stuff - you need to go in and "unenroll" to disable it completely. But you're probably just hitting the limit of the router.

Are you running both routers (double NAT/daisy chain) as that can add a bit of extra bottleneck too.
Cpu is not fully 100% not even close actually. I thought is has same cpu as ax86 series.

The provider gives a Zyxel t54 and when that is used i get 960/960.

When swapped for my Asus i get lower speeds max 920... Mostly even 840 down. And up is nearly always 800. On cable or on the router itself.

So the upper tekst defines iam not using double nat. I do have the gt with two 68u nodes.

Cpu is really doing nothing. Men is not fully utilized so that's a putty :)

So no red flags at all

I don't think you're checking the CPU correctly. I guarantee you it is doing plenty during an 800M+ speed test.

Maybe your provider has tweaked their router to work best with their service. They might have jumbo packet support, or any number of other things.

Other than speed tests, when will you actually notice a difference? If it is critical, use their router and put the Asus routers in AP mode only.

Cpu is really doing nothing. Men is not fully utilized so that's a putty :)

So no red flags at all

Another thing to check, is your ISP running PPPoE? If so your MTU should be 1492 at most. In fact some will even use 1452 as that eliminates the need to pad the packets with useless data.

Trying to run 1500 MTU over PPPoE results in packet fragmentation and will impact speed (or in some cases cause intermittent connectivity issues).

I don't think you're checking the CPU correctly. I guarantee you it is doing plenty during an 800M+ speed test.

Maybe your provider has tweaked their router to work best with their service. They might have jumbo packet support, or any number of other things.

Other than speed tests, when will you actually notice a difference? If it is critical, use their router and put the Asus routers in AP mode

Another thing to check, is your ISP running PPPoE? If so your MTU should be 1492 at most. In fact some will even use 1452 as that eliminates the need to pad the packets with useless data.

Trying to run 1500 MTU over PPPoE results in packet fragmentation and will impact speed (or in some cases cause intermittent connectivity issues).
I don't have pppoe.

I did found out that a cli test on my dev box brings more horsepower to the table.

Idle Latency: 2.85 ms (jitter: 0.13ms, low: 2.68ms, high: 3.02ms)
Download: 947.76 Mbps (data used: 938.7 MB)
10.33 ms (jitter: 1.03ms, low: 2.80ms, high: 14.60ms)
Upload: 946.12 Mbps (data used: 427.2 MB)

Although the cpu is nearly touched... (Unless I use the build-in Gui/speedtest. But the cpu load is crap in visuals. Only the Asus app brings a bit of realistic info. And then in pushes to 80% load. So now, the choice ...

I don't have pppoe.

I did found out that a cli test on my dev box brings more horsepower to the table.

Idle Latency: 2.85 ms (jitter: 0.13ms, low: 2.68ms, high: 3.02ms)
Download: 947.76 Mbps (data used: 938.7 MB)
10.33 ms (jitter: 1.03ms, low: 2.80ms, high: 14.60ms)
Upload: 946.12 Mbps (data used: 427.2 MB)

Although the cpu is nearly touched... (Unless I use the build-in Gui/speedtest. But the cpu load is crap in visuals. Only the Asus app brings a bit of realistic info. And then in pushes to 80% load. So now, the choice ...

950/950 is all you can reasonably expect from a 1G port.

950/950 is all you can reasonably expect from a 1G port.
Agree, but the Asus is failing isn't it. So, wonder what to do next. Buying a new one will not bring me much more i guess. Since they still use the same cpu. Or i need to buy real expensive stuff. Like my gt...

Agree, but the Asus is failing isn't it. So, wonder what to do next. Buying a new one will not bring me much more i guess. Since they still use the same cpu. Or i need to buy real expensive stuff. Like my gt...

Not sure I follow, the 950/950 test you just ran, that was not through the Asus?

Don't see how the Asus is failing. you're just potentially exceeding the capability of an older AC router. If that tiny bit of extra bandwidth that you'll probably never use is worth the money, upgrade the router.

Look in the ISP router and see if there is anything obviously that they've tweaked, but it probably doesn't have great visibility. Could be as simple as their router has been optimized for VLAN tagging and yours hasn't (that's not something you can fix).

Just leave the router alone and enjoy your life. Look for a family vacation.

Must.... get.... every..... megabit.....

I mean I get it, it would annoy me a bit too, but not enough to buy a new AX router. If anything I'd just downgrade my internet :D

In fact on one of the code bases I was maxing out my AC1900 at 250 on my 300M internet and it really didn't bother me, disabling aiprotection would have gotten me that extra 50, but it wasn't an issue, though I was glad when a new code resolved it and I can now do 310/350 at only about 60% CPU.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!