What's new

Beta ASUS Instant Guard iOS/Android public beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm still unable to connect to Instant Guard outside my LAN without enabling remote management. Is everyone else finding this to be a necessity too?

I'm still unable to connect to Instant Guard outside my LAN without enabling remote management. Is everyone else finding this to be a necessity too?
Nope, works perfectly for me. Enabling remote management opens you up to an attack, you should disable it immediately.

Nope, works perfectly for me. Enabling remote management opens you up to an attack, you should disable it immediately.
Trust me, I'm aware of that. It's why I have to rule out using Instant Guard (which I really want to use) until it's no longer dependent on remote access being enabled. I just have to determine why it's a requirement for me and not for others.

Trust me, I'm aware of that. It's why I have to rule out using Instant Guard (which I really want to use) until it's no longer dependent on remote access being enabled. I just have to determine why it's a requirement for me and not for others.

Seems odd.. When your on your home network did you you the Asus app to enable InstantGuard, or did you just download the InstantGuard app? I found the only way it works is to be on your home network wifi and enable InstantGuard through the Asus app. Then test by turning off the wifi on your phone and try connecting.

Good luck

Seems odd.. When your on your home network did you you the Asus app to enable InstantGuard, or did you just download the InstantGuard app? I found the only way it works is to be on your home network wifi and enable InstantGuard through the Asus app. Then test by turning off the wifi on your phone and try connecting.
That's what I've been doing. No dice. I wonder if it's because I'm using manual DNS entries (Cloudflare's as opposed to those provided by my ISP)? It works fine on my home network, but as soon as I'm off my LAN I get connection errors unless WAN remote access is enabled. I'm also using No-IP for my dynamic DNS.

That's what I've been doing. No dice. I wonder if it's because I'm using manual DNS entries (Cloudflare's as opposed to those provided by my ISP)? It works fine on my home network, but as soon as I'm off my LAN I get connection errors unless WAN remote access is enabled. I'm also using No-IP for my dynamic DNS.
NSNE,
May I make a suggestion, basically to restart setting up Instant Guard:
  1. To allow Instant Guard setup on iOS and Router to take place afresh
    • On iOS Remove Instant GuardOn
    • On Asus Router, turn OFF Instant Guard
  2. Re-install and setup Instant Guard (AppStore version, do not use test flight version) inside your Home Wifi Network
    • Setup and use of Instant Guard the first time round should work. If not you would have to look at your Router setup (with minimum configuration)
    • Turn Off Instant Guard on iOS
  3. Re-install iOS ASUS Router (AppStore version, do not use test flight version)
    • setup in your Home Wifi Network, and do not Enable WAN access
  4. Test Instant Guard and Asus Router App outside of your Home Wifi Network via (a) Turn OFF Wifi to use Cellular or (b) Wifi Network outside Home Wifi Network or (c) use your own Guest WiFi Network with no Intranet access
    • Start Instant Guard, to establish VPN connection
    • Start iOS Asus Router
Mine has been working since TestFlight ... I did on some occasions get VPN connection error, my work around is delete iOS Instant Guard. Reinstall it inside Home Wifi Network for the Instant Guard VPN to be setup / establish. After that start Instant Guard remotely followed by iOS Asus Router App. Hope it helps for your situation.

Edit: PS, I use CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 for my DNS

Good luck
That's what I did, it works flawless

I'm using manual DNS too (cloudflares) not problem at all, the NO-IP it may be your problem, check onto that

I'm using manual DNS too (cloudflares) not problem at all, the NO-IP it may be your problem, check onto that
NSNE,
May I make a suggestion, basically to restart setting up Instant Guard:
  1. To allow Instant Guard setup on iOS and Router to take place afresh
  2. Re-install and setup Instant Guard (AppStore version, do not use test flight version) inside your Home Wifi Network
  3. Re-install iOS ASUS Router (AppStore version, do not use test flight version)
  4. Test Instant Guard and Asus Router App outside of your Home Wifi Network via (a) Turn OFF Wifi to use Cellular or (b) Wifi Network outside Home Wifi Network or (c) use your own Guest WiFi Network with no Intranet access
Success! Looks like I had to disable DDNS on the router and then allow the Instant Guard app to re-enable it. Still using No-IP. Thanks, everyone.

Update 2020/10/30

Put ASUS router Android apk and Instant Guard apk in the same share google driver folder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2020/10/29

Android beta APK is ready
ASUS Router App: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/EEE3CF2E623B49FB8EB98BDD5287204AY
Instant Guard app : https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/4479B9C19965432A83C3801372727E88Y

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instant Guard is an app to help easily set the IPSec VPN server at router and IPSec VPN client at phone.
In the 1st stage, this app is only for administrator and need to update both ASUS router app and Instant Guard app.
The screenshots are as follows.

1. Click the Instant Guard in the router app and the router app would modify the firmware setting and transfer the necessary information to the Instant Guard app.
View attachment 26740

2. Tap the shield icon and build the VPN connection.
View attachment 26736

View attachment 26737

After established the VPN connection successfully, you can just click the Instant Guard app next time for VPN connection.

Currently, only support iOS and android beta will be released in the end of Oct.
Requirement: (1) Routes with IPSec VPN server feature (2) Router must have IPv4 public WAN IP (3) Firmwareequal and greater than 9.0.0.4_386_40322

If you want to join the iOS beta test, please (1) send me your Apple ID in a private message (2) install the test TestFlight app https://apps.apple.com/app/testflight/id899247664
We will start to send the TestFlight invitation by email on Oct 12.

After joined the TestFlight, the ASUS Router and Instant Guard will be in your TestFlight app.

View attachment 26739
replied to join apple test app

replied to join apple test app
WMar,
Test is over, now you can get both iOS Asus Router App and Instant Guard from AppleStore since 18 Dec 2020 :)

I thought this was no longer a requirement?

hZZiNcT.jpg

So it looks like the success I had with using IG over a cellular connection came down to it automatically enabling "Remote Access from WAN" during setup (apparently with no prompt). After reporting success with IG, I was surprised to discover that remote access was enabled during a routine port scan.

Which means I'm still unable to use IG in the scenario where I most need it. Unfortunately, @ASUSWRT_2020 has stopped following up on my issue report, and using the in-app feedback function put me in touch with an Asus engineer who just assumed I was doing something wrong.

In short, IG still isn't working for me via the WAN when remote access—a huge security risk—is disabled. I'd love to troubleshoot this issue, but Asus isn't even requesting logs.

@NSNE, they may be working on what has already been provided? They may be taking vacation time too.

IG wasn't available a few short weeks ago. It isn't necessary today. Be patient and expect good things to come.

Hi Everyone,

I have RT-AX86U Router and Asus Merlin beta3 on it. I setup Skynet Add-on and Instant Guard. For my experience Instant Guard needs WAN Remote access. If I allow WAN remote access, Skynet firewall automatically disable again If Skynet settings Secure Mode enabled. I disabled Secure Mode and I can successfully connect via Instant Guard. But I do not prefer to turn on remote WAN access. Which ports Instant Guard using? If I port forward for Instant Guard can I use it? I do not want to turn on WAN remote access. I already IPSec VPN setup.

Hey!

I just bought an Mac with the M1-chip. The instant guard app is available through the Mac App Store but i cannot get it to recognize that it's on an Asus wifi. So I cannot get the app to work. Is this gonna be possible in the future?

Sorry the text in the screenshot is in Swedish.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2021-01-05 kl. 12.39.40.png
    Skärmavbild 2021-01-05 kl. 12.39.40.png
    288.7 KB · Views: 155
I just bought an Mac with the M1-chip. The instant guard app is available through the Mac App Store but i cannot get it to recognize that it's on an Asus wifi.
I’m stuck on the same screen on a real iOS device (iPhone).

Maybe a bug in the current version?

PS: Does this even work with Asuswrt-Merlin? Or only stock firmware?

For me on android it worked few times and after a restart of the router I get only timeout, i can see in the notification bar that it says something about wrong authentication or something. It's not really too safe to use yet. Better to use other VPN service until it works better.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!