What's new

ASUS Makes AiMesh Official

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have been searching for an answer for a few days already, but nothing is clear.

Anyone has real life experience for VOIP on AiMesh and other Wifi Mesh systems?

How well does the AiMesh handle roaming between 2 nodes when I am on a VOIP call? Will I experience a dropped call or a brief interruption?

If AiMesh is not working well for VOIP, which Wifi Mesh can?

Thanks.

I have been searching for an answer for a few days already, but nothing is clear.

Anyone has real life experience for VOIP on AiMesh and other Wifi Mesh systems?

How well does the AiMesh handle roaming between 2 nodes when I am on a VOIP call? Will I experience a dropped call or a brief interruption?

If AiMesh is not working well for VOIP, which Wifi Mesh can?

Thanks.

I tested it once on my AiMesh and it worked fine, but there are so many variables that you will just need to try it. My test:

Zoiper/VoIP.ms on ZTE Maven2 2.4 GHz-only on node calling by extension and by DID to Zoiper/VoIP.ms on Nexus5x 5.0 GHz on router... roaming to/from node did not drop the call nor present a noticeable audio issue. Calling my own DID may not have routed over the PSTN.

The near concern is how well AiMesh connects roaming clients... doing well here, but there are so many variables. Also, I use corded phones so I don't roam around when I'm on the phone at home. The OBi/corded phone in the garage works fine over the node backhaul.

OE

The rule of thumb for VoIP is that the roam time needs to be 50 ms or less to not be noticeable. It can be longer if your main concern is that the call doesn't drop.

Roaming time depends primarily on the client device, which decides when to roam and where to roam to. The new 802.11k,v,r roaming standards can help minimize roam time, but ASUS doesn't support any of them. They say they use proprietary techniques to aid roaming, but decline to provide further details.

Some mesh systems support 802.11k, v either singly or in combination. We show this information in the WiFi System Finder.

But devices must support the same standard(s) for them to work. It is not easy to find that information, since manufacturers generally don't spec it.

Due to FAQ information are making user confusion, it has been removed. Actually, We don't limited how many Node can be added.

Good to know, thanks. The less misinformation from ASUS, the less user confusion.

OE

Is the posted asus aimesh sponsored artiocle the replacement for the asus faq? where do we ask them questions?

now im giving up my 3 routers Asus RT-AX88U.not stable on mesh system,nodes falling out,my kids cant play on the computers,going back to ac86u i think,it was verry stable when i had ac86u,just wanna try something new but not working.,i can only use mesh system here in the house.so please asus is there any new firmware /beta version out the before i send it back?and sometimes the the speed is bad i have 350/350 mbps,if i use cable i have 80mbps but if i take out the cable from lan port and put it back in i have full speed,but the aimesh is verry bad,using this at the same place i had my 3 ac-86u that was working great,just wanna try something new but but thw two i use at nodes keeping dropping out.asus please help

Roaming Assistant 'performs' node steering within the AiMesh.

Smart Connect 'performs' node band steering within a node. The 68U does not support Smart Connect, so no band steering within that node.

Ultimately, the wireless client decides its connection , subject to the above guidance.

I tried AiMesh with 2xRT-AC68Us and have concluded that without Smart Connect, I must use unique SSIDs to band steer manually.

I upgraded to 2x86Us and have concluded that Smart Connect at least conceptually completes AiMesh as I am using identical SSIDs with good results... I say conceptually and good because I only have so many wireless clients to test with here.

Maybe your connection drop/delay is the client trying to choose between two node bands with no help from the router.

For fun, disable Airtime Fairness to see if it affects throughput.

OE
I have a 68u as main router on one side of my house in the office upstairs. Another 68u is downstairs in living room in middle of house. I have a third 68u in gameroom upstairs. My firestick in the media room will connect all the way to the office router when the gameroom router is 10 feet away between them. They need a way to assign a mac address to a node. Roaming block does not work.

I have a 68u as main router on one side of my house in the office upstairs. Another 68u is downstairs in living room in middle of house. I have a third 68u in gameroom upstairs. My firestick in the media room will connect all the way to the office router when the gameroom router is 10 feet away between them. They need a way to assign a mac address to a node. Roaming block does not work.

Using a WiFi Analyzer app, what are the dBm power levels of all of your WiFi signals at the firestick location?

Does it matter that the media stick is using router WiFi, direct to the Internet?

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!