1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS Makes AiMesh Official

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by thiggins, Jan 3, 2018.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

aimesh_routers.jpg
    ASUS today quietly rolled out its AiMesh feature that has been in beta since last August.

AiMesh is a free firmware upgrade for select ASUS routers that adds the ability to form multi-node networks. So you can start with an existing AC class router and add other copies of that router, or any other AiMesh-enabled router to your mesh.

Which routers are supported you ask? Well, the situation is fluid. The EdgeUp ASUS blog post dated today says
    If you’re using the ASUS RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC88U, the RT-AC1900, the RT-AC1900P, and the RT-AC3100, RT-AC5300, or the ROG Rapture GT-AC5300, you can get started with AiMesh today. Click here to download the beta.

But if you go to the AiMesh page as directed, there are only the download links shown above for the RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U and RT-AC1900. The best thing to do is hit the support page for your router and check for a firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.1xxxx .

Be advised that, in typical ASUS fashion, AiMesh is a work in progress. So don't expect smooth sailing.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. leewilko

leewilko New Around Here

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...us-aimesh-mesh-network-router-firmware-update

Wow wasnt expecting this:

Asus has a good solution with its new AiMesh system, which lets you repurpose your existing Asus routers as part of a mesh network.

For now, the mesh support is coming to a few routers today in beta, including the ASUS RT-AC68U, RT-AC1900P, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, and the ROG Rapture GT-AC5300. with additional support planned for the RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 later this year.

Be interesting to see how this affects the Merlin project, is this something that could be integrated and improved upon?

avtella likes this.
  4. bandit8623

bandit8623 Regular Contributor

exciting news! now if i ever upgrade my main router i can use my 68u to mesh

5. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

Makaveli likes this.
  6. SystemF

SystemF Regular Contributor

I hope in future for AC-66U_B1 also, there is no info on offical RT-AC66U_B1 support page for AiMesh yet

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. thiggins

I've opened an thread for discussion of the Official AiMesh release 3.0.0.4.384.10007.

SystemF likes this.
  8. bbunge

bbunge Very Senior Member

SystemF and scjr like this.
  9. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

Will it offer any roaming features, or will it be like some extenders where you walk from 1 part of a house to another, and it takes like 30 seconds for the device to realize it, and then another 10 seconds to disconnect and reconnect to the stronger AP that is using the same SSID?

10. PaperFriend

PaperFriend Occasional Visitor

Can you use it similarly as an AP? I have ethernet cables everywhere and I am unsure if it uses an wired ethernet backhaul or not.

11. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Regular Contributor

It does support wired backhaul. I use it that way.

Marc Aronson likes this.
  12. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Around Here

That is good to hear, as I have wired backhaul throughout my house. How is your setup working for roaming/handoff between points?

I'm debating 2 RT-68u's setup are AiMesh with wired backhaul, versus 3 UAP-AC Lites setup as AP's. Thanks.

13. PaperFriend

PaperFriend Occasional Visitor

I am debating a similar situation.

14. thiggins

As you folks are pondering making networks from multiple three and four-stream routers, keep in mind too much power (in the form of more MIMO streams) is not always a good thing.

If there is too much overlap among APs, devices will be confused and roaming will be very bad. Then you'll be back here complaining about that...

OzarkEdge likes this.
  15. Eric Lieb

Eric Lieb Regular Contributor

Looks like they removed AC66 from the listed devices with future support (even if limited)... That sucks

16. mactenchi

mactenchi Occasional Visitor

You can set reduced power settings to solve this, right?

17. thiggins

Reducing power might help. But you'll need to do it manually and the allowed settings may not reduce power enough.

18. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

You cannot reduce power output when using a US-sold router.

Vexira likes this.
  19. thiggins

Adjusting transmit power is one of the tools used to properly balance AP systems. The control was available on many of the recently reviewed AC1200 APs.

20. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

I know. But for some reason, Asus's legal department took the FCC requirements to the letter, and removed ANY form of power output adjustment from the webui if the router is in the US region. Pretty sure the FCC's intention was only specific to power boosting, not reduction, but lawyers being what they are...

21. thiggins

Ah, I thought you meant all routers. Thanks for clarifying.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!