What's new

ASUS Makes AiMesh Official

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I simply updated both, restored to factory defaults ran the setup on my RT-AC5300 and connected the RT-AC68U using the AiMesh feature and changed from AiMesh Router mode to AiMesh Access Point mode and placed the RT-AC68U in my bathroom using LAN not wireless and started testing.

To add a node, ensure that it is in factory default reset condition after installing AiMesh firmware on it, and then simply add it from the router GUI.

Its really hard to tell if the AC68 is using LAN or wireless. Even with the Ethernet cable connected its still showing wireless bars in the Web-UI so I guess its just ignoring the Ethernet cable?

AiMesh auto senses the backhaul type. Some LAN switches defeat this, so set it manually under 'more config' when viewing the node pop-up details.

OE

I think you misunderstood. I added the second node (RT-AC68) like you described, but I manually changed my primary from being AiMesh Router (NAT) to AiMesh Access Point (No-NAT) afterwards.

Even after going into more config and selecting Ethernet instead of Auto its still reporting connection type: wireless... This is with the RT-AC68U connected directly into the LAN-port on my RT-AC5300U. Rebooting doesn't do anything either.

I think you misunderstood. I added the second node (RT-AC68) like you described, but I manually changed my primary from being AiMesh Router (NAT) to AiMesh Access Point (No-NAT) afterwards.

Yep, sorry, my oversight.

OE

Even after going into more config and selecting Ethernet instead of Auto its still reporting connection type: wireless... This is with the RT-AC68U connected directly into the LAN-port on my RT-AC5300U. Rebooting doesn't do anything either.

I presume it's wired Wan to LAN. I wonder if the 'auto sensing' can also be defeated by an upstream router... I don't know. When I tried wired backhauls here, it just worked.

OE

Okay. So after much trouble it seems like one of my switches needed to be rebooted. Now I'm seeing much more sensible performance numbers and for some reason I'm finally able to get my RT-AC68U using wired backhaul instead of wireless. The steering between 2.4GHz an 5.0GHz doesn't seem to be all that great. It seems like its bouncing my mobile clients from 5.0GHz to 2.4GHz without any real benefit to it and thus reducing wireless throughput from 300-400 mbit down to 90-110 mbit. Its no biggie, but still annoying.

Steering between the primary and secondary node seems to be working, but it often comes at a slight loss of connection in-between. When running speed tests it will drop the connection for a split second while Google WiFi on the other hands is fully capable of doing the switching without any drop.

My biggest complaint has to be throughput going through the secondary node. I can verify the change from my AC5300 to the AC68 on my MacBook by looking at the BSSID and even with great 802.11ac 1300mbps TX-rate in the bathroom I'm still only getting 90-100 mbps. If I reset the AC68 and use it as a regular access point I'm getting the same 300-400 mbps as in the living room. But as soon as I enable AiMesh the performance drop to around 90-100 mbps even when using wired as backhaul.

Okay. So after much trouble it seems like one of my switches needed to be rebooted. Now I'm seeing much more sensible performance numbers and for some reason I'm finally able to get my RT-AC68U using wired backhaul instead of wireless. The steering between 2.4GHz an 5.0GHz doesn't seem to be all that great. It seems like its bouncing my mobile clients from 5.0GHz to 2.4GHz without any real benefit to it and thus reducing wireless throughput from 300-400 mbit down to 90-110 mbit. Its no biggie, but still annoying.

Steering between the primary and secondary node seems to be working, but it often comes at a slight loss of connection in-between. When running speed tests it will drop the connection for a split second while Google WiFi on the other hands is fully capable of doing the switching without any drop.

My biggest complaint has to be throughput going through the secondary node. I can verify the change from my AC5300 to the AC68 on my MacBook by looking at the BSSID and even with great 802.11ac 1300mbps TX-rate in the bathroom I'm still only getting 90-100 mbps. If I reset the AC68 and use it as a regular access point I'm getting the same 300-400 mbps as in the living room. But as soon as I enable AiMesh the performance drop to around 90-100 mbps even when using wired as backhaul.

Roaming Assistant 'performs' node steering within the AiMesh.

Smart Connect 'performs' node band steering within a node. The 68U does not support Smart Connect, so no band steering within that node.

Ultimately, the wireless client decides its connection , subject to the above guidance.

I tried AiMesh with 2xRT-AC68Us and have concluded that without Smart Connect, I must use unique SSIDs to band steer manually.

I upgraded to 2x86Us and have concluded that Smart Connect at least conceptually completes AiMesh as I am using identical SSIDs with good results... I say conceptually and good because I only have so many wireless clients to test with here.

Maybe your connection drop/delay is the client trying to choose between two node bands with no help from the router.

For fun, disable Airtime Fairness to see if it affects throughput.

OE

Strange, My main router is an AC3100, I have 2 nodes, an AC1900P and a T-Mobile converted to an AC68U. When I search for nodes only the AC68U shows up on the list. I can't get it to see the 1900P even if I set it right next to the 3100. Both the 3100 and the 1900P are on the most current firmware. Any ideas why it won't it won't see the 1900P.

Strange, My main router is an AC3100, I have 2 nodes, an AC1900P and a T-Mobile converted to an AC68U. When I search for nodes only the AC68U shows up on the list. I can't get it to see the 1900P even if I set it right next to the 3100. Both the 3100 and the 1900P are on the most current firmware. Any ideas why it won't it won't see the 1900P.
I did just notice that on the AC1900P the 2.4 radio light isn't on.

Sent from the Delta Quadrant using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did just notice that on the AC1900P the 2.4 radio light isn't on.

Sent from the Delta Quadrant using Tapatalk

Looks like a bad router. I bought it used and what I found was the 2.4 was broadcasting but the 5 wasn't. The lights were backwards.

Thanks to everyone here I decided to go and try AiMesh after trying all the mesh systems out, Velop, Orbi, Google WiFi and Lyra. I know I left some out but after trying those I quit wasting my time. I never really had a problem with my WiFi, although I had one spot in my bedroom which was patchy. I needed coverage in my garage (man cave) for my PS4 and Roku to enjoy it back there. I originally tried the netgear X4 extender which created one network name but sucked when it came to speed and coverage. After trying all the mesh systems and having to return each one due to me losing speed and coverage not as good when it came to seamless roaming. I said screw it and spent about $700 and got an AC-5300 and 2 86u’s. Spent about 1 hr setting them up in AiMesh and honestly I can say I love it. Not as good looking as the mesh systems but it works pretty flawless. My speed from my ISP is 300mbps and I’m getting 250 and up pretty much everywhere in my house and 175 and up in my garage where I never could get higher than 20. My old ASUS router only got me about 115 or lower. My property is 10,000 Sq ft and at The farthest point I can get around 30-65. Not sure if I just got lucky or the equipment really helps but it’s worth trying if you really want a good WiFi system at home.

Oh and when I wired my PS4 to the node (86u) in the garage I pretty much got top speed. All are set up wireless. Plus the ASUS router app isn’t too bad, you can handle your network from it very similar to the Lyra App I had when I tried that system.

Oh and when I wired my PS4 to the node (86u) in the garage I pretty much got top speed. All are set up wireless. Plus the ASUS router app isn’t too bad, you can handle your network from it very similar to the Lyra App I had when I tried that system.

The app has since been fixed(?), but make sure it has not setup a DDNS client and enabled Web access on your router.

OE

Good to hear that its working well. The AiMesh capability isn't really even out of beta yet (although they are promoting it as if), so I'm sure it will continue to improve with future updates.

Good to hear that its working well. The AiMesh capability isn't really even out of beta yet (although they are promoting it as if), so I'm sure it will continue to improve with future updates.

Indeed! I have a box full of old routers... all I ever did was plug 'em in, set 'em up, and use 'em. This AiMesh roll-out and my current site requirements has been, shall we say, a lot more educational! :)

If it were not for the pending firmware updates, I'd call it done and move on to the next project.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!