What's new

Asus-Merlin 384.15: amtm won't run, just hangs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ronbo

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC86U
To-date, I have loved Asus-Merlin. It is everything I've wanted to fully protect my network. I really appreciate the work that must go into creating and improving this firmware. This is the first time I've ever had a problem. I run AMTM, Diversion, Skynet, DNSCrypt, Entware, Pixelserv-tls, ya-malware. Prior to and after the upgrade, I saved my config settings & JFFS partition.

At this point, I have manually upgraded my firmware to 384.15 3 times and rebooted many times (Manually because it would never upgrade using Check Update button).

From the first time I upgraded, Amtm stopped working and I've had to reinstall diversion twice. I have been unable to get Amtm to run at all. When I type in amtm, it just hangs. If I wait several minutes it will finally error out with a segmentation error. I've run disk checks. Q: Is there a parameter to run amtm in debug mode with output I can look at? (amtm debug for example). I've looked at the actually scripting code but could not discern where it might be getting to before hanging.

I have a USB 3.0 8GB USB in the 3.0 usb port
I have a USB 2.0 16GB USB in the 2.0 usb port
2 Mount points: /tmp/mnt/EMTEC & /tmp/mnt/EntWare
/tmp/mnt/EMTEC/myswap.swp = 2gb in size

I'm using SSH/Putty terminal to login.

I run IPVanish. I have 39+ devices defined in my DHCP (18 active). I'm reluctant to do a reset (not sure at what point I would even do a reset and the impact to my configuration setup). I have extensive devices/setup configuration.

I think if I can get AMTM to work, then I will be able to get everything working. After 23 minutes, amtm still hasn't done anything but hang. No ouput to the screen at all.

Try this:
  • in PuTTY or your terminal of choice, type the following commands.
  • unalias amtm
  • amtm
  • exit completely from the terminal program you're using.
  • connect again and see if amtm works now.
  • If it doesn't:
  • unalias amtm
  • amtm
  • r
  • exit completely from the terminal program you're using.
  • connect again and see if amtm comes up.
  • If it doesn't,
  • enter this:
  • curl -Os https://diversion.ch/amtm/amtm && sh amtm

This should now be fixed for you.

Thanks for the reply.

"unalias amtm" yields:
unalias: amtm not found

"set" yields:
PATH='/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/admin:/mmc/sbin:/mmc/bin:/mmc/usr/sbin:/mmc/usr/bin:/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/sbin:/opt/usr/bin'

"which amtm" yields: /usr/sbin/amtm

I didn't think reinstalling AMTM would work because it is built into 384.15? Willing to try.

@Ronbo, re-installing amtm has worked for me. :)

ran: wget https://diversion.ch/amtm/amtm in home directory to view installation script.

I'm wondering if it is not the swap file? How would I reformat that USB stick and create a new EMTEC with a 2GB swap file? A search on google didn't yield the method to use. What steps to take & would i need to reboot router to reestablish new swap file?

I'm just guessing here, but having two USB drives and using both for amtm + scripts and Entware on a different drive (it seems) isn't supported?

From what previous firmware version did you upgrade to 384.15_0 from? When was the last time you did a full M&M Config install?

I would be tempted to remove both USB drives, Format the JFFS partition on the next reboot and start fresh with a single USB drive (see my signature for a link to the amtm Step-by-Step guide for formatting recommendations).

I encountered this problem a few hours ago on an 86u I had just initialised after upgrading to 384.15. Minimal config. No reason there should have been issues. Connected flash drive was clean formatted FAT.

I was running 384.13_4. I've been using 2 USB drives since I purchased the RT-AC86U and have been using them without issue until this release. The swap file is on the USB 2.0 drive & everything else is on the USB 3.0 drive. Only the swap file is on the 2.0 USB stick. I've been running MTM, Diversion, Skynet, DNSCrypt, Entware, Pixelserv-tls since several releases back without issue. Only 384.15 has caused me problems.

MTM is actually AMTM in the reply above.

AMT hangs immediately. There is nothing going to the screen at all. Is there a log file I can send you from amtm? If so, where is it located?

ps command yields (I submitted amtm as /usr/sbin/amtm &):
4241 admin 3368 S {amtm} /bin/sh /usr/sbin/amtm
4270 admin 4676 S /usr/sbin/curl -fsNL --retry 2 --connect-timeout 3 -m 8 https://fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net/amtm_fw/amtm.mod -o /jffs/addons/amtm/a_fw/amtm.mod.new

Changed USB and formatted it as EXT4. Setup new swapfile, modified post-mount in /jffs/scripts, rebooted router and ran "free" in ensure new swapfile online.

Once I created the new swapfile and made sure it worked, I ran amtm again. Same result. Never yields any output to the screen, just hangs (or appears to hang). Is there an amtm logfile somewhere I can check? or a debug option?

Last edited:
@Zonkd I would suggest Ext4 with journalling enabled instead.

@Ronbo, things change! :)

Also, you can edit your own posts, no need to post again. :)

Ran command: curl -Os https://diversion.ch/amtm/amtm && sh amtm
11:37 ........ 11:44 mmmmmm, seems to hang on any amtm script.
At what point is amtm hanging?
I need the full output of your ssh terminal to determine what's wrong and where.
Just run /usr/sbin/amtm

Mine hangs just after I select a theme.

I select theme 1 and it just hangs. Leaving it on for a night, I come back and see the amtm process has crashed with a segmentation fault.

I did a reset to factory before. Formatted JFFS and enabled it for scripts and configs. Plugged in an USB stick that was already formatted (but wanted to format again with amtm).

Enabled SSH, logged in and typed amtm. I got to select a color theme, and that was it...

I did not yet downloaded a new amtm version, I have a RT-AC68P.

I don't get anything about installing entware, or formatting a usb drive. Should this be before or after I get to select a theme (a step by step list of the startup actions of amtm would be usefull...)? A quick look at the source code suggest that this should be before I get to select a theme (very much new to bash...).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.15_0 Sat Feb 8 18:38:21 UTC 2020
Router1@RT-AC68P-0730:/tmp/home/root# amtm

Select a theme that works best in your
SSH client. All colors in use are shown.

1. standard standard standard
standard standard standard

etc etc etc.........

The basic and reduced themes use no or fewer
colors, service states may not be visible.

Select amtm theme: [1-11] 1
Segmentation fault
Router1@RT-AC68P-0730:/tmp/home/root#

Last edited:
Mine hangs just after I select a theme.

I select theme 1 and it just hangs. Leaving it on for a night, I come back and see the amtm process has crashed with a segmentation fault.

I did a reset to factory before. Formatted JFFS and enabled it for scripts and configs. Plugged in an USB stick that was already formatted (but wanted to format again with amtm).

Enabled SSH, logged in and typed amtm. I got to select a color theme, and that was it...

I did not yet downloaded a new amtm version, I have a RT-AC68P.

I don't get anything about installing entware, or formatting a usb drive. Should this be before or after I get to select a theme (a step by step list of the startup actions of amtm would be usefull...)? A quick look at the source code suggest that this should be before I get to select a theme (very much new to bash...).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.15_0 Sat Feb 8 18:38:21 UTC 2020

Select a theme that works best in your
SSH client. All colors in use are shown.

1. standard standard standard
standard standard standard

etc etc etc.........

The basic and reduced themes use no or fewer
colors, service states may not be visible.

Segmentation fault
One of the files may be corrupted. Run this in the terminal, then run amtm again:
Code:
rm -rf /jffs/addons/amtm

Did not help.

Amtm hangs again after I press "1" + Enter for select your theme.

If I CTRL-C the process, then I can not restart amtm. (well, it just hangs, does not display the select theme text)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
^C

Did not help.

Amtm hangs again after I press "1" + Enter for select your theme.

If I CTRL-C the process, then I can not restart amtm. (well, it just hangs, does not display the select theme text)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
^C
What SSH client are you using?

Putty on win7
Your /jffs/ partition likely has a hiccup. Set it to format on next boot in the routers WebUI under Administration/System.
Then reboot the router.
Be aware this deletes all data in that partition, use the Save function tab to save a backup if there's anything you want to keep.

Still not working.

I did a
reset to factory
reformat usb drive to ntfs
reformat jffs on reboot and use for scripts and configs (and did a reboot)
enable ssh

Still hangs after I press "1" + ENTER

Only 3% of JFFS is used.

=========================================
Router1@RT-AC68P-0730:/tmp/home/root# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 33408 33408 0 100% /
devtmpfs 127732 0 127732 0% /dev
tmpfs 127836 652 127184 1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 64256 1724 62532 3% /jffs
/dev/sda 15151100 66500 15084600 0% /tmp/mnt/AC68P-USB

Last edited:
Still not working.

I did a
reset to factory
reformat usb drive to ntfs
reformat jffs on reboot and use for scripts and configs (and did a reboot)
enable ssh

Still hangs after I press "1" + ENTER

Only 3% of JFFS is used.

=========================================
Router1@RT-AC68P-0730:/tmp/home/root# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 33408 33408 0 100% /
devtmpfs 127732 0 127732 0% /dev
tmpfs 127836 652 127184 1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 64256 1724 62532 3% /jffs
/dev/sda 15151100 66500 15084600 0% /tmp/mnt/AC68P-USB
Anything is possible, let's see if amtm is corrupted. Enter this, one line by one:
Code:
cd
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/decoderman/amtm/master/amtm_fw/amtm
cmp /home/root/amtm /usr/sbin/amtm
The last command will return nothing if the file is the same as the original.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!