What's new

ASUS-Merlin isolated guest router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shbek1

New Around Here
TLDR: I'd like a dedicated guest router, behind another router, that is unable to access the intranet of the router in front of it. So I need to keep a wired device off my local intranet, but it still needs to have internet access.

In more detail:
I have two routers, an AC3200 and an N66U behind it for guests, both running ASUS-Merlin. I occasionally have idiot, teenage house guests, that need a dedicated network that is forced through a VPN and maybe speed throttled, and does not have access to my main router's intranet.

On the N66U: Enabling isolated AP keeps guests from contacting each other, but they can still access the intranet of the router in front of them, same of course with a guest AP with intranet off, the intranet of the router in front is still accessible. This is of course totally understandable.

So I assume that I need to find some sort of solution on the main AC3200 to block the N66U's IP/MAC/Ethernet port on the AC3200 from accessing the AC3200's intranet. Perhaps I need to relook at VLAN on Merlin. Suggestions?

Just to be clear, the N66 is also in router mode correct? Edit: never mind, you mention Guest Networks so this should be the case

I have a similar setup but my second router is running OpenWRT. Just block off intranet on N66 using iptables, should be simple as that, don’t need to mess with VLANs.

Just use the Firewall > Network Services Filter on the N66U to block access to the AC3200's subnet. Simple.

Reactions: kfp

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!