What's new

Asus Merlin Router with Zabbix Agent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@dbqandersons I'm glad it is working for you.
Zabbix 6.4 was released about a week ago and I haven't updated the template for that version yet.

Since you have a new installation of Zabbix 6.4 and it is unable to find the OOTB templates, I guess the new version have different templates names.

My template works out-of-the-box for Zabbix 6.2, so you can try downloading the previous Linux modules template.
Save it as a yaml file and import it to your Zabbix, then import my Asus template.

✋ if it works.

Hello! Tell me, please, if it is possible to install the zabbix-server and zabbix-agentd together on a ASUS RT-AX86U with latest Merlin firmware?

Welcome to the forums @lomax.

Did you read the first post of this thread?

So, you got your answer.

So, you got your answer.
Thank you, only here on the forum it is not said about installing the server on the router. I understood about the remote linux server. Let me rephrase my original question. Is it possible to install both sides - server and agent on the ax86u router?

No, not possible.

Let me rephrase my original question. Is it possible to install both sides - server and agent on the ax86u router?
I don't see why not. As post #1 shows, there is a zabbix-server package available in Entware and you would normally also install the agent on the same machine as the server.

It doesn't make sense to me to install the server on the machine you're monitoring. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Why not? As a rule, you always want to monitor the machine on which the Zabbix server is running.
I have a similar question. There are also two packages for a zabbix proxy. I was hoping that it was the sqlite version of the proxy. When I look at the log, it looks more like the psql version to me. Can someone perhaps confirm this?

Code:
16203:20230907:232908.107 database is down: reconnecting in 10 seconds
 16203:20230907:232918.109 [Z3001] connection to database '/tmp/zabbix_proxy.db' failed: [0] connection to server at "localhost" (127.0.0.1), port 5432 failed: Connection refused
        Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections?

config:
Code:
#DBName=zabbix_proxy
DBName=/tmp/zabbix_proxy.db

Last edited:
Why not? As a rule, you always want to monitor the machine on which the Zabbix server is running.
I would not recommend installing Zabbix on the router since it does not meet the minimum requirements.
Latest Zabbix Server only support MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and derived DBMSs.
Also, usually Asus routers do not have an unprivileged user.

Guys, do you find it interesting to actively monitor some NVRAM values? Which ones?

I've updated Zabbix template for Asus Merlin. It now fully supports Zabbix 6.4.
Due to OOTB template inconsistencies between Zabbix versions, templates links for generic Linux modules have been removed.
Now, the template will contain only specific Asus Merlin Router items.
For generic Linux items, it is recommended to link the standard Linux template which offers multiple items for monitoring, including CPU, memory, disk and bandwidth information.

It is available at Github.

Any feedback is welcome.
Thanks.

It doesn't make sense to me to install the server on the machine you're monitoring. Maybe I'm missing something here?
In Zabbix, the server monitors itself as an agent as well. Although I don't know about running the server on the router as I've only ran the server using RHEL.

So, it makes even less sense to run it on the machine you're monitoring/saving the log files to. Yes?

So, it makes even less sense to run it on the machine you're monitoring/saving the log files to. Yes?
I mean I wouldn't run it on a router but Zabbix is more about real time alerting and monitoring as opposed to logging and then taking action on resolution.

Who/why would anyone monitor this in real time? Sounds like an expensive (labor) project.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!