What's new

ASUS N66U and OpenVPN woes.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

absolute

New Around Here
Hi there!

I have followed the following guide to connect to my router a VPN Client, OpenVPN (NordVPN):

The connection is successful, and I have tried 6-8 configuration files to rule out an issue with a specific server, & I have the blue tick.

My issue is that all the devices connecting to the router are not protected by the VPN I have configured, both ethernet and wireless.

I have BT Home Fibre FTTP, so I have that white box on the wall connecting to the WAN port of my router.

Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers.

Don't know what your direct VPN issue is but IMO it's definitely time to upgrade that N66 to something fully supported with ongoing updates.

I did consider that it might be time to upgrade, but would be nice to know what the issue might be.

What router would you recommend?

but would be nice to know what the issue might be

This router is End-of-Life with no firmware updates for >2.5 years. The issue is most likely in old OpenVPN version. There are 3rd party firmware available and more recent, but even if this router connects to the VPN Server the single core MIPS CPU can't do >20Mbps throughput on OpenVPN.

What router would you recommend?

For OpenVPN and longer expected support - RT-AX86S or better. More popular model is RT-AX86U. Look for 1.8-2.0GHz CPU models - they have ARMv8 CPU with AES and can do about 200Mbps on OpenVPN. Models with 1.5-1.7GHz CPU have weaker ARMv7. AX-class routers with 388 firmware available have WireGuard in VPN options as well as selective routing in form of VPN Fusion. All available in stock Asuswrt - no 3rd party firmware needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!