What's new

ASUS QOS Doesn't Work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TikiG

Occasional Visitor
I have read numerous postings saying that the Asus QOS doesn't work in a meaningful way. I currently have a RT 66U_B1.

For general use, router is fine with good range, but my issue is I use voip and can also have multiple cloud backups going at anytime. Regardless of any settings I make in the QOS, adaptive or traditional, anytime one of the cloud backups kick in, voip goes down the toilet. Incoming voip traffic fine, Outgoing voip is spotty to bad. Limiting the voip upstream in the cloud apps doesn't seem to make any significant difference, any outgoing cloud transmission causes voip studdering on outbound. If I stop the cloud program, voip is then great again.

Question is this, has anyone gotten the asus or merlin firmware to work for this scenario.

Ready to toss this as I need both voip and cloud to work simultaneously in harmony. ;-)

If it's pointless to try anything further, what router handles QOS out of the box.

Thanks,

TikiG

I have read numerous postings saying that the Asus QOS doesn't work in a meaningful way. I currently have a RT 66U_B1.

For general use, router is fine with good range, but my issue is I use voip and can also have multiple cloud backups going at anytime. Regardless of any settings I make in the QOS, adaptive or traditional, anytime one of the cloud backups kick in, voip goes down the toilet. Incoming voip traffic fine, Outgoing voip is spotty to bad. Limiting the voip upstream in the cloud apps doesn't seem to make any significant difference, any outgoing cloud transmission causes voip studdering on outbound. If I stop the cloud program, voip is then great again.

Question is this, has anyone gotten the asus or merlin firmware to work for this scenario.

Ready to toss this as I need both voip and cloud to work simultaneously in harmony. ;-)

If it's pointless to try anything further, what router handles QOS out of the box.

Thanks,

TikiG
This script is awesome and will help or out right cure your problem once it is setup properly. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

The RT 66u_B1 does have adaptive QOS standard.

To use your script do you have to use Merlin or will the Asus firmware work fine.

compatible
FreshJR_QOS_compat
Legacy Users: Compatible Version supports ALL firmware

I stand corrected.

From memory I remembered the RT- N66u not having it.

ASUS naming could be better. Let's leave it at that.

--

It is recommended to use RMerlin. There is a version that can run on stock firmware, but I haven't released it yet since I haven't had the time to edit the first couple posts in that thread.

--

As it stands the scripts built in VOIP rules work well for iOS wifi calling, but not android.

If you change it into

tc ... br0 ... sport 4500
tc ... eth0 ... dport 4500

It should work on both iOS, android, and embedded systems. That change will be implemented in next update as this deficiency has only recently came to my attention. (I did not have an android device for testing)

Last edited:
Thank you. I will give it a try over the weekend. I will give preference by IP to the voip devices. Anything else I need to tweak?

Voip is top priority. It uses very little bandwidth so I've always been surprised that it just doesn't work.

I have 140Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up. Bandwidth limiting doesn't appear to be the root cause of the problem. It appears to be packet interference or delay during transit. A 100KB/s cloud upload is enough to cause issues. A 300KB/s cloud upload causes major problems. One wouldn't think that a 30KB/s voip stream would be getting stepped on.

My understanding is that QOS for voip involves bandwidth protection but also some prioritization of packets during sort, white glove treatment for lack of a better term. With voip (udp) transmission bandwidth and cohesiveness need to go together to maintain quality.

Does the script deal with voip in this manner?

Correct, and the RT-AC66U doesn't either. The RT-AC66U_B1 is a model based on the RT-AC68U hardware, but in a form factor similar to the RT-AC66U, and a friendlier price. Marketing has apparently found that the visual look was more important than the internals when it came the time to name the model, despite Asus's development internally referring to it as the more accurate RT-AC68U V2 model name...

What is your actual up and down speeds and what do you have set in on your router ?
What is your VOIP and Cloud traffic being identified as in the QoS Statistics screen (you should be able to work it out by running one at a time with nothing else running) ?

>I have 140Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up.

I initially QOS manually on the router at 15% less, then 25% less, and then later set the router to 80/4 just for testing. Would never leave it at that indefinitely.

The cloud is all HTTP Protocol over TLS SSL.

Re: VOIP, Not sure 100% sure, on the statistics page the sip devices are not top 5 and viewable. But on the Bandwidth Monitor (QOS) these devices show about 98% General traffic, & maybe 2% Sip when in actual use.

>I have 140Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up.

I initially QOS manually on the router at 15% less, then 25% less, and then later set the router to 80/4 just for testing. Would never leave it at that indefinitely.

The cloud is all HTTP Protocol over TLS SSL.

Re: VOIP, Not sure 100% sure, on the statistics page the sip devices are not top 5 and viewable. But on the Bandwidth Monitor (QOS) these devices show about 98% General traffic, & maybe 2% Sip when in actual use.

So the clarify what is happening.

Cloud Sync = HTTPS = Asus defines HTTPS as a TOP MOST priority that is actually above the 7 user configurable priorities

Voip Traffic = General traffic = Unidentified = Asus defines Unidentified traffic as a BOTTOM MOST that is actually beneath the 7 user configurable priorities

You can easily deduce why this setup has poor reults.

--

Script puts HTTPS traffic into "Web"
Script puts Unidentified into user adjuatable "Others"
Custom VoIP rules should then get your VoIP traffic away from the bottom most category and into VoIP.
Script also removes snapchat for being classified as VoIP since it is a bandwidth monster and not really VoIP.

Combine all the effects, and you should see a nice bump.

--

Additionally if your cloud provider has a fixed server IP range, it might be worthwhile to list traffic from that range as "File Downloads" or even into the bottom most "Unidentified" category.

--

Enjoy!

I stand corrected.

ASUS naming could be better. Let's leave it at that.

--

It is recommended to use RMerlin. There is a version that can run on stock firmware, but I haven't released it yet since I haven't had the time to edit the first couple posts in that thread.

--

As it stands the scripts built in VOIP rules work well for iOS wifi calling, but not android.

If you change it into

tc ... br0 ... sport 4500
tc ... eth0 ... dport 4500

It should work on both iOS, android, and embedded systems. That change will be implemented in next update as this deficiency has only recently came to my attention. (I did not have an android device for testing)

I use your script on my network and have wifi calling. I have had no problems and have had as many as 4 phones using wifi calling at the same time.
I have found that it works much better then the stock QOS. Now I do have a Fios Gig connection and some would say I don't need it but with my kids and everyone using the electronics these days it does make a difference. Thanks for the great work.

I use your script on my network and have wifi calling.

The rules as currently supplied only redirect iOS wifi calling.
The changes I mentioned in the post you quoted will extend that rule's compatibility to have it work for Android, iOS, and embedding device VoIP calling.

You don't have to make the changes mentioned. They will be preset on next release.

I bought my first Asus RT-AC68x router four years ago, thinking it would get me good QOS to support my VOIP phones. It's been a great router otherwise, but the QOS is pretty much a bust. Given that everyone agrees Traditional QOS is broken, and Adaptive QOS doesn't work well with VOIP (without FreshJR's patch, which I haven't figured out how to install), what's a not-very-sophisticated user to do? Is there any chance ASUS will fix their lousy firmware? (RMerlin says it's not something he can address.) Does it make more sense to go to some other brand of router? (Open to suggestions.)

Thanks!

(I'm using RT-AC68R, RMerlin 384.4_2, in my office and at a remote site. Obi VOIP interface box at both sites.)

I bought my first Asus RT-AC68x router four years ago, thinking it would get me good QOS to support my VOIP phones. It's been a great router otherwise, but the QOS is pretty much a bust. Given that everyone agrees Traditional QOS is broken, and Adaptive QOS doesn't work well with VOIP (without FreshJR's patch, which I haven't figured out how to install), what's a not-very-sophisticated user to do? Is there any chance ASUS will fix their lousy firmware? (RMerlin says it's not something he can address.) Does it make more sense to go to some other brand of router? (Open to suggestions.)

Thanks!

(I'm using RT-AC68R, RMerlin 384.4_2, in my office and at a remote site. Obi VOIP interface box at both sites.)
Would you like me to install it for you?

Installed Merlin, Installed FreshJR_QOS, testing it now. Already appears to have made a big difference. I did add my VOIP IP address to custom section and all VOIP traffic is being identified correctly.

One newbie question, if I nano and make some additional changes to the custom part, how do I restart the script with my changes. Not sure if there is a service restart command to reload changes.

Thanks!

Installed Merlin, Installed FreshJR_QOS, testing it now. Already appears to have made a big difference. I did add my VOIP IP address to custom section and all VOIP traffic is being identified correctly.

One newbie question, if I nano and make some additional changes to the custom part, how do I restart the script with my changes. Not sure if there is a service restart command to reload changes.

Thanks!

Just click apply on the QOS page in WebUI, and any new changes will take effect.

The script just got updated. The first three posts along with install instructions are being edited.

I hope that didn't cause you any trouble or errors.