What's new

ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless-AC5300 Tri-Band Gaming Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm curious how the extra CPU and RAM would benefit (if at all) in my situation (since I'm frequently connecting multiple devices, some of which are streaming video).

I also read that Merlin isn't planning on providing a firmware option for the GT version (he has one for the RT version). Not that I'm currently using his firmware, but it's an interesting point at least.

I'm not doing anything too crazy with my network, but being able to manage bandwidth limitations by each device (not just assigning them a priority group) is something that I'm interested in. My main concern is maintaining connection with a high throughput while connected at long distances from the router while multiple devices are connected.
Thanks!

I couldn't say it better than @RMerlin. The CPU on the GT did allow my brother (who has a 1gb/s internet connection) to see full ISP speeds for the first time. The CPU on other routers he had tried, really had problems routing traffic at that speed.

I'm disappointed his AsusWRT-Merlin work will not apply to the GT-AC5300 and do hope that something changes about this in the future, because this could address the biggest weakness in the device.

Like you, I do have a single device on my network (amongst about 25) that is most important to me. It is an Xbox 1s, and used to stream Netflix and Amazon videos in 4k. Since this content can consume up to 25mb/s and I only have 100mb of total internet bandwidth, I put it on it's own 5gHz channel. I haven't used the per device bandwidth limiter, but from the iOS app, I can select a device, turn on bandwidth limiter and set an upload and download bandwidth limit (or put into a category). Turning on bandwidth limiter will preempt any QoS setting.

As I'm sure you've read, the router firmware still needs work. The "gamer" skin isn't necessary, although I understand the marketing focus. And while a lot of the inconsistencies of the Web UI have been fixed in the most recent firmware update, there is still work to do. For example, people can't tell that the link aggregation is working (because it doesn't show traffic in Traffic Analyzer > Traffic Monitor). But the power and flexibility of the device is amazing. I just wish the firmware was much better.

I just purchased a RT-AC5300, as I was experiencing issues using a mesh setup (Netgear Orbi 3 Pack from Costco). My ISP provides 350Mbps, which I could get when connected to the main router, but was only pulling 70Mbps at best when connected to each satellite. I was also experiencing a large number of disconnection issues and having to restart my router 3-4 times a week.

Mesh is always interesting - did a fair amount of work around early dev back in the day - sometimes it works, but it's really dependent on the RF and basic physics - the nodes do have some dependency on where they are located relative to each other, and to the client stations - that being said - Netgear's approach with Orbi has been good...

I just installed the RT-AC5300 yesterday and found that at my furthest point away (125-130 feet away) I was still getting ~325Mbps (that's through multiple walls, lathe and plaster at that...). Quite impressive if you ask me.

To be honest, and I'm not trying to be negative here, I don't see 5GHz at that range to be honest - esp if trying to push bits through plaster/laths walls... 2.4GHz, should expect around 30Mbps or so at that range.

I could be wrong - put up some real numbers...

I can hit (320 Mbps) 40 MB/s at my basement with my router 2 floors above, on the floor ~30ft. But with the outer walls being brick/thick wood siding, outside the home my 5Ghz completely stops working by around 70-80ft out from the router. 320 Mbps at 125-135ft however doesn't even seem plausible as sfx2000 said.

Last edited:
I couldn't say it better than @RMerlin. The CPU on the GT did allow my brother (who has a 1gb/s internet connection) to see full ISP speeds for the first time. The CPU on other routers he had tried, really had problems routing traffic at that speed.

I'm disappointed his AsusWRT-Merlin work will not apply to the GT-AC5300 and do hope that something changes about this in the future, because this could address the biggest weakness in the device.

Like you, I do have a single device on my network (amongst about 25) that is most important to me. It is an Xbox 1s, and used to stream Netflix and Amazon videos in 4k. Since this content can consume up to 25mb/s and I only have 100mb of total internet bandwidth, I put it on it's own 5gHz channel. I haven't used the per device bandwidth limiter, but from the iOS app, I can select a device, turn on bandwidth limiter and set an upload and download bandwidth limit (or put into a category). Turning on bandwidth limiter will preempt any QoS setting.

As I'm sure you've read, the router firmware still needs work. The "gamer" skin isn't necessary, although I understand the marketing focus. And while a lot of the inconsistencies of the Web UI have been fixed in the most recent firmware update, there is still work to do. For example, people can't tell that the link aggregation is working (because it doesn't show traffic in Traffic Analyzer > Traffic Monitor). But the power and flexibility of the device is amazing. I just wish the firmware was much better.

I second that about Merlin not supporting this router. To be frank here the routers firmware is shirt and he could make a bigger name for himself by being the “savior” of the Gt. I called up Asus for an RMA and they said they are all out of stock wow that ether means a lot of people are replacing these routers or maybe they have a hardware fix on the way. I personally feel like it’s a firmware issue.

I second that about Merlin not supporting this router. To be frank here the routers firmware is shirt and he could make a bigger name for himself by being the “savior” of the Gt.

Even if I wanted to, there's nothing at all I could do about wireless issues.

it’s not wireless issues I’m having it’s problems with the router constantly dropping out even with lan. And no disrespect Merlin I don’t want to seem like that I respect your work a lot I like many others just feel like you have such a power house to mess around with. But I understand the issues you would have as well.

First of all, I'm fully aware that when manufacturers release new routers, you should expect bugs - that's always been the case and will never change. However out of all the router manufacturers, Asus routers seem to be the most buggy when first released. It seems there's simply not enough testing done on them before they are released into the wild. Personally I find Linksys & Netgear the least buggy, good example being the Netgear X10 whilst still being relatively new, has rock solid official firmware. I think the X10 has only had 3-4 fw releases since being released.

Reading this thread it seems the GT-AC5300 is the new RT-AC87U/R...

Reactions: eJC
To be honest, and I'm not trying to be negative here, I don't see 5GHz at that range to be honest - esp if trying to push bits through plaster/laths walls... 2.4GHz, should expect around 30Mbps or so at that range.

I could be wrong - put up some real numbers...

I can do that, what's the preferred method of conducting a test? I don't have IxChariot, but can use another tool and post up some results.

Next time you are streaming 4K content from Netflix start your real time traffic manager and let it run. I think you will see the actual rate is closer to 11 Mbps for streaming 4K video at least that is what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try LANSpeed Test, it's free. Server/client combo is better or you can use your NAS as a target if you have one. Better yet, a file transfer is the simplest way. I don't think you're lying, I just think you are overestimating the distance significantly.

Try LANSpeed Test, it's free. Server/client combo is better or you can use your NAS as a target if you have one. Better yet, a file transfer is the simplest way. I don't think you're lying, I just think you are overestimating the distance significantly.

I don't use a NAS unfortunately. Are there any of the bandwidth testing websites that are more accurate than others? Those are what I was using to measure throughput. I'm not doing a lot of file sharing on my network.

In all honesty I'm not overestimating the distance. I recently measured the distance and line of sight is ~125' to the entrance of the room (122' 3.25" to be exact).

Next time you are streaming 4K content from Netflix start your real time traffic manager and let it run. I think you will see the actual rate is closer to 11 Mbps for streaming 4K video at least that is what I see.

I did say "up to." Yes, when watching Marco Polo or Sens8 (4k content with HDR) the average bandwidth is 15-20 (much less when there are white credits on a black background). But I think it is a general rule of thumb to provision 25mb/s for 4k streaming.

The truth is that no single wifi access point how fat it is, can cover the amount of space.
Especially not if you want fast wifi running on the 5 GHz frequency band.
The higher the frequency is the faster, but shorter range from the antennas.

I did say "up to." Yes, when watching Marco Polo or Sens8 (4k content with HDR) the average bandwidth is 15-20 (much less when there are white credits on a black background). But I think it is a general rule of thumb to provision 25mb/s for 4k streaming.
If you go to the Netflix web site they tell you 4K streaming will use 7 GB per hour for playback.

If you go to the Netflix web site they tell you 4K streaming will use 7 GB per hour for playback.

There's a setting in Preferences on the Netflix website - for full HD, believe it or not, I limit them to 350Mbps... mostly to avoid data caps that my ISP has put into place. I don't need 4K, as I don't have any sets or STB's that support it - and they've done a decent job of codecs recently...

12 feet away, FullHD is pretty good - 720P is more than acceptable.

Correct. CTF is enabled. I tested this a few times.
I'm sorry but I'm really confused. Can anyone please clarify what is happening here?

I have 1Gb/35Mb from my ISP and when the PC is connected directly to the modem I get 933 Mbs / 40Mbs real speed test results.

If my modem can handle that, why this router can't? Does the above test mean that even with $400 router I can't achieve my ISP speeds? Am I misunderstanding what and how is being tested here? Should I get RT instead of GT to actually get to 1Gb wired? Do you think it's some bug in the firmware which will get fixed or it's a HW limitation? I honestly don't understand how cheaper routers with slower chips achieve faster WAN - LAN speed than this router.

Last edited:
So not even your modem can handle 1Gb speed, you get 933 Mbs / 40Mbs real speed test results,.
The throughput is only theoretically not practically proven, very few routers have a 1Gb throughput.

So not even your modem can handle 1Gb speed, you get 933 Mbs / 40Mbs real speed test results,.
The throughput is only theoretically not practically proven, very few routers have a 1Gb throughput.
I believe 940 Mb/s is the limit of 1Gb connections, so it's pretty close. If you look at the carts for throughput they all hit 940. Well most of them:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/179-wan-to-lan-tcp/35
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/179-wan-to-lan-tcp/31

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!