What's new

Asus Router app, Account Binding.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AStaUK

Occasional Visitor
I’ve been taking a look at the Asus Router app for iOS and one of things it allows you to do is to bind your Google account (in my case) to my router, but I can’t seem to find any explanation as to what it does, does anyone have any info?

I’ve been taking a look at the Asus Router app for iOS and one of things it allows you to do is to bind your Google account (in my case) to my router, but I can’t seem to find any explanation as to what it does, does anyone have any info?
Some weeks back, I was curious so I played with it. From my observation, basically,
Benefit:
  • it allows you to managed multiple Routers / AiMesh Network (I managed my 2 daughters Family Networks)
Risks: I observed Binding arrangement, by default, automatically turns on WAN Access to the bonded Routers. That was not acceptable to me!
  • I manually, TURNOFF WAN Access via the respective Router's GUI
Nett: with that, I can benefit from using the Asus App to manage multiple AiMesh Router sites, but, only on Premise or over VPN (WireGuard, OpenVPN, IPSec, or Instant Guard)

Yes, I also noticed that WAN access was enabled along with the app, I also turned it off. Otherwise I’m still to work out the benefit of it, it doesn’t replace the standard router logIn or link It to a cloud account, so why have it.

Risks: I observed Binding arrangement, by default, automatically turns on WAN Access to the bonded Routers. That was not acceptable to me!
  • I manually, TURNOFF WAN Access via the respective Router's GUI
snip

I recently tried this App out again after a shortish hiatus but did not experience the automatic turning ON of the WAN Access (it does however ask if you want to do this to which I replied NO).

Has anyone else had the same (recent) experience, just want to make sure the behaviour has indeed changed.

Reason to use the App is to try out Alexa integration.

k.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!