What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am looking to get the ac3200 but would like to know the maximum number of manually assigned IP addresses allowed? Can someone confirm this for me? On page 65 of the Manual it shows a screen shot of the UI that says the limit is 64 (I can live with that) but on page 66 the manual says the limit for Manually assigned IP address is 32. What is it, 32 or 64?

Webgui says 64.

the latest firmware has fixed an issue I was having with the router, In the pervious firmware My logs where spammed with
kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
But since upgrading to .4145 firmware I haven't seen this in my logs at all.
And the Wifi seems to be a lot more stable too, I don't experience many dropout in connection anymore

Smart connect on this version is much better with disconnects. I have noticed my Amazon TV fire stick upstairs (farthest away from router) is having many dropouts. It didn't seem to do this with smart connect off on the last firmware. Other than that much better than last at least

Yeah I'll double that Amazon fire stick tv disconnect thing, like every 20 minutes or so on latest fw. I've noticed devices at distance are disconnecting now periodically.

This one is always gonna be a unexact science isn't it.

Yeah I'll double that Amazon fire stick tv disconnect thing, like every 20 minutes or so on latest fw. I've noticed devices at distance are disconnecting now periodically.

This one is always gonna be a unexact science isn't it.
Are you using smart connect ? I have no drops streaming tv 30 feet 3 walls , no smart connect 5 ghz ch 161 .

I can`t see the fw too

4129 is the latest for me at the asus support page
f you choose 64 bit then it only shows you 4129
o.png

Quick question, are the traffic statistic persistent, ie are kept after a reboot of the router, or are they able to be saved on a usb stick. If not, is this doable with the Merlin firmware? I have 7 people in the house trying to stay under a 500gb cap and everyone says they dont use much of the bandwidth. I would really like to monitor this on a monthly basis and want to avaoid losing any data due to a power loss or unplugged router.

f you choose 64 bit then it only shows you 4129
o.png
DELETE YOUR CACHE , you're not getting a fresh page , delete history if it still brings old page after cache dump

Found out why disconnects weren't happening so often on smart connect. It was diverting all of my devices to the 2.4ghz band :p. Max connect speeds on my AC macbook with smart connect on in living room was 217mbps. Turning off smart connect and connecting to the 5ghz band and sitting in the exact location 878mbps or something like that. WTF.

Turned smart connect off, then its an ok router with less range than 87u but at least the 5ghz band works.

The iPad does have trouble on 5GHz on my AC87. I have switched it over to the 2.4GHz band and it seems fine. It also had issues on a Netgear router on 2.4GHz previously. The MacBook seems OK on 5GHz.

I think it is an Apple issue rather than the router. Of course, you can buy their overpriced routers if you're fussy.

Setting the network key rotation setting to 0 for each radio/SSID has been reported in a separate thread as fixing the disconnect issue.

What benefit does having the network key rotation set to anything but zero?

What benefit does having the network key rotation set to anything but zero?
Good question , why has the setting always been 3600 sec by default ? it has a range of 0 to 2492000 sec , so never to 3 days , I don't get what is being rotated .

In a professional situation the preshared key would be rotated. Usually updated by a key server. At the predetermined interval all connections would be dropped to ensure all clients have the updated key. If not they wouldnt be able to reconnect.

Remember we are using wpa2 with a preshared key. For personal use it wouldnt change often so 0 on this setting would be ideal.

I believe this item only shows up under wpa2 professional on my dir-655.

Anyway, I havent had a disconnect in 9 hours now.

Found this:

Understanding Key Refresh
You can enable broadcast and session key rotation intervals on a per virtual access point basis. These parameters only apply to security modes that involve key rotation (dynamic WEP and WPA Enterprise).

The broadcast key refresh rate sets the interval at which the broadcast (group) key is refreshed for clients associated to a particular virtual access point. The session key refresh rate specifies the interval at which the access point refreshes session (unicast) keys for each client associated to a particular virtual access point. Each of these rotations can be disabled by setting the interval to zero. The broadcast key refresh timer is started when the access point is configured. This timer expires after every key refresh interval. A client that associates during this interval will get its first broadcast key refresh the next time this timer expires. From the client’s perspective, this first refresh will most likely occur before the full refresh rate interval.

In a professional situation the preshared key would be rotated. Usually updated by a key server. At the predetermined interval all connections would be dropped to ensure all clients have the updated key. If not they wouldnt be able to reconnect.

Remember we are using wpa2 with a preshared key. For personal use it wouldnt change often so 0 on this setting would be ideal.

I believe this item only shows up under wpa2 professional on my dir-655.

Anyway, I havent had a disconnect in 9 hours now.
I am at "WPA2-Personal" which defaults to 3600. Really should default to 0 seeing I selected "personal".

Last edited:
Found this:

Understanding Key Refresh
You can enable broadcast and session key rotation intervals on a per virtual access point basis. These parameters only apply to security modes that involve key rotation (dynamic WEP and WPA Enterprise).

The broadcast key refresh rate sets the interval at which the broadcast (group) key is refreshed for clients associated to a particular virtual access point. The session key refresh rate specifies the interval at which the access point refreshes session (unicast) keys for each client associated to a particular virtual access point. Each of these rotations can be disabled by setting the interval to zero. The broadcast key refresh timer is started when the access point is configured. This timer expires after every key refresh interval. A client that associates during this interval will get its first broadcast key refresh the next time this timer expires. From the client’s perspective, this first refresh will most likely occur before the full refresh rate interval.
16 hours and no wireless dis-connects , wonder if this was happening with my n-66 and I never noticed , it was set at 3600 sec as well . You would think zero would be the default setting for wpa2 personal as there is no key refresh

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!