What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 and Dual Wan load balancing configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarlockP4

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I recently added a secondary wan connection (USB 4G LTE Dongle) to my ASUS RC-AC5300; I configured it as load balancing with 9:1 ration but many devices are facing connection issue and I had to create static route to force them to a specific one.

Is there anything I need to do to make the load balancing configuration work without create static routes?

Regards

There are numerous post on how horrible Asus handles Dual WAN, especially Load Balancing.

You may be able to get by with Failover mode if you run Merlin firmware and utilize @Ranger802004 Dual WAN script.

There are numerous post on how horrible Asus handles Dual WAN, especially Load Balancing.

You may be able to get by with Failover mode if you run Merlin firmware and utilize @Ranger802004 Dual WAN script.

Thanks for your reply, do you know what are the best settings using the regular firmware?

To be honest, there are none. If you really need Dual WAN load balancing get the TP-Link ER605 v2.

It supports using a USB modem and it actually handles failover and load balancing very well.

It’s the reason I use one. :)

If you go that route, be sure to get the newer version 2 with the USB port.

I will perform some test with this router before to invest more money in other hardware. I wondering if Asus is aware of the issue with this feature and it will try to address it

Asus is perhaps aware, but no sings of addressing it for years. If you really need reliable multi-WAN - get a business router. TP-Link ER605 is an entry-level model for about $60. Similar under $100 are Ubiquiti ER-X and MikroTik hEX. TP-Link ER605 has the most user-friendly GUI though.

ER605 emulator here:

Asus is perhaps aware, but no sings of addressing it for years. If you really need reliable multi-WAN - get a business router. TP-Link ER605 is an entry-level model for about $60. Similar under $100 are Ubiquiti ER-X and MikroTik hEX. TP-Link ER605 has the most user-friendly GUI though.

ER605 emulator here:
how shoud I configure my Asus RT-ac5300 to work with one of these routers?

I would suggest the cheap business router for multi-WAN duties only and your Asus in double NAT behind it. I believe @Smokey613 runs it in this configuration and he can help you with exact screenshots from ER605 if needed. It's pretty simple setup and works well.

To be honest, there are none. If you really need Dual WAN load balancing get the TP-Link ER605 v2.

It supports using a USB modem and it actually handles failover and load balancing very well.

It’s the reason I use one. :)

If you go that route, be sure to get the newer version 2 with the USB port.

Hi Smokey613,

since I discovered that my asus rt-ac5300 is EOL, I decided to buy the TP-Link ER605 v2.

can you please tell me how you have configured it? @Tech9 wrote above you use it in this configuration

Regards

Last edited:
@Smokey613

This is my network home schema

Network_Schema.png

I'm sure @Smokey613 will help you, but there is nothing much to configure. See the GUI Emulator above. I can't save settings there, but it's easy like home router configuration:

In WAN you define interfaces:

1685364010832.png

Then the properties of each:

1685364047588.png

Then you select Load Balancing or Link Backup:

1685364132069.png

You also have DDNS options:

1685364610249.png

You have to experiment with DDNS on the router if you need DDNS. I use updater software on a client on my dual WAN networks (different routers though) for faster reaction and current WAN IP detection. My routers are in Link Backup mode.

You can use your AC5300 in Router or AP Mode just like before.

@Tech9 , thanks for the reply, I need to have:

1) Primary Wan, my TIM Technicolor Modem / Router
2) Secondary Wan, my Alcatel IK41 4G LTE USB Dongle

and continue to use AC5300 as main router

In this case you do this:

1685367233815.png

...and pray your Alcatel IK41 4G LTE USB Dongle is recognized and works on ER605.

Sorry I am late to the “party” :)

First thing, make sure you are running the latest firmware.

The major drawback to this little router is the 3-4 minute boot time.

Be patient as it will seem like an eternity and you will think it is not working.

But then again, it rarely needs rebooting and usually only during firmware upgrades and when adding the USB mode as that will trigger a reboot.

Another note on the USB modem, it may take the router a little while to recognize it and populate the information. You may have to select the carrier information manually.

Of course, I am going on experience from a US side of things, not other countries. :)

Another note on the USB modem, it may take the router a little while to recognize it and populate the information. You may have to select the carrier information manually.

Of course, I am going on experience from a US side of things, not other countries. :)

I will keep you posted.

With Asus I did nothing, all was recognized automatically

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!