What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300 : Crashing on PowerLine network data use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shane Troughton

New Around Here
Hi

Hoping someone might be able to perhaps identify or help identify what is causing this issue.
Pretty certain it's router related and mostly seems to happen since upgrading to the latest release version.

Operation Mode:Wireless router
Firmware Version: 384.6

Essentially basic network structure is that I have my router connected to a PowerLine socket (By TP-Link) which delivers LAN-based network to my media server sitting in another room via the apartments power cabling.

I've noticed that when I download something, e.g. most recent was a Windows image from the Microsoft site, and when I did so my router started becoming wildly unpredictable and unresponsive. As soon as the download stopped it worked fine.

Anyone got any ideas what might be the cause?
I downloaded the same from a PC connected via WiFi and it worked fine without taking down the network.

Thanks in advance

I had an odd issue the day.
I have an AC-88U (which is the same architecture as the 5300 minus a radio) and it crashed completed 3 times in a day.
I also have it connected to a network of 4 TP-Link TL-PA8030 powerline devices.
What ‘appeared’ to fix it was rebooting all of the powerlines!
I’ve had this setup for some years and this is the first instance, so if it is the cause I would agree it must have been introduced in a recent f/w on the router.

The powerline adaptors do use some proprietary signalling (aside from the standard AV2) to talk to each other and the app on you PC/Mac that can configure them, so maybe one of those signals borks the router?

Only other thing is there is a setting on them to enable IF you have VDSL interference when using them. I don’t have this and so have it disabled, but might be worth you trying it? It sounds more like that issue in your case than what I experienced. Just download the TP PLC app on your computer and it should find the adaptors and you can configure them (can update their firmware while you are at it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Hoping someone might be able to perhaps identify or help identify what is causing this issue.
Pretty certain it's router related and mostly seems to happen since upgrading to the latest release version.

Operation Mode:Wireless router
Firmware Version: 384.6

Essentially basic network structure is that I have my router connected to a PowerLine socket (By TP-Link) which delivers LAN-based network to my media server sitting in another room via the apartments power cabling.

I've noticed that when I download something, e.g. most recent was a Windows image from the Microsoft site, and when I did so my router started becoming wildly unpredictable and unresponsive. As soon as the download stopped it worked fine.

Anyone got any ideas what might be the cause?
I downloaded the same from a PC connected via WiFi and it worked fine without taking down the network.

Thanks in advance

Wow.. I’ve finally found someone having the same problem as me!
I have an RTAC5300 in the lounge, and a network of around 6 TP link power line adapters around my place. I live in a farm, so cat5 is a no go and Wi-fi is poor.
Since updating to the latest firmware my network is having a meltdown with the power lines.
The router keeps crashing, cants be accessed, won’t allow Wi-fi access with the correct password and when you can get in it via data cable it’s slow and glitchy. The powelines keep shutting down and having problems also .

Any advice? I was suspicious of the power lines, and now you’ve mentioned this I’m convinced!

Be sure to turn-off the Power Saving Mode in each adapter's Advanced Settings. Maybe the latest ASUS firmware doesn't play nice when the nodes or clients keep disappearing. I haven't noticed any problems recently (using ASUS, not Merlin) but a few months ago I when I was getting disconnections I set up a ping back to the router to make sure there was always traffic between the adapters.

I had an odd issue the day.
I have an AC-88U (which is the same architecture as the 5300 minus a radio) and it crashed completed 3 times in a day.
I also have it connected to a network of 4 TP-Link TL-PA8030 powerline devices.
What ‘appeared’ to fix it was rebooting all of the powerlines!
I’ve had this setup for some years and this is the first instance, so if it is the cause I would agree it must have been introduced in a recent f/w on the router.

The powerline adaptors do use some proprietary signalling (aside from the standard AV2) to talk to each other and the app on you PC/Mac that can configure them, so maybe one of those signals borks the router?

Only other thing is there is a setting on them to enable IF you have VDSL interference when using them. I don’t have this and so have it disabled, but might be worth you trying it? It sounds more like that issue in your case than what I experienced. Just download the TP PLC app on your computer and it should find the adaptors and you can configure them (can update their firmware while you are at it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slight correction they are the TrendNet PowerLine adapaters, specifically the 406E model which has apparently been discontinued.
I've been trying to configure using the Utility it's a pain in the rear though, only ever seems to detect one of them and it doesn't appear to have an update function.

Will definitely try your recommendations though, see if that helps!

My GT-5300 has started crashing randomly over the last two weeks I am wondering if this is a bugged firmware.

Ok so apologies about the delay.

I updated Merlin to the latest Firmware (384.7_2).
I've also replaced the TrendNet PowerLine adapters with a set of TPLink Av2000s.

Unfortunately neither has fixed the issue...although I have to admit the firmware update seemed to stop the entire network from crashing altogether.

The core issue still remains though, whenever I kick off a download on the machine to which the PowerLine is connected, the network stalls/crashes.
I am remoted onto it and as soon as the download starts the remote desktop session becomes unresponsive and the internet goes down.

Since I have replaced everything on the other end of the spectrum the only other piece of hardware I have is the Router with Merlin...it could be terrible wiring I guess but that wouldn't explain what is causing Merlin to crash out.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks
Shane