What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I purchased the 5300, after having a 68U for several years and it has been way more than expected. I am glad that there are very smart people here that have all the answers for everyone else, particularly if they have not used the product. Internet forums are amazing and I learn a lot....then there is the downside...........I learn a lot from them , too.

I purchased the 5300, after having a 68U for several years and it has been way more than expected. I am glad that there are very smart people here that have all the answers for everyone else, particularly if they have not used the product. Internet forums are amazing and I learn a lot....then there is the downside...........I learn a lot from them , too.
This is replacing a very dated system, Apple Time Capsule and Airport Express on either end of the home with GigE switches at both ends. Before that it was the original WRT54G's.

I'll again reiterate that most folks will be fine with an RT-AC3100 if wanting to explore something beyond what is capable with the tried and true RT-AC68 series (AC1900).

I find no compelling reason to go beyond AC1900 for the first half of 2016 due to the dearth of MU capable clients... and even then, MU doesn't have much to offer, IMHO...

I find no reason not to go beyond the AC1900. I can afford it and quite frankly I am getting tired of people putting someone down because they bought the latest and greatest. I am very happy with my purchase of the AC-3100 and have no regrets now and will not in the future.

I find no reason not to go beyond the AC1900. I can afford it and quite frankly I am getting tired of people putting someone down because they bought the latest and greatest. I am very happy with my purchase of the AC-3100 and have no regrets now and will not in the future.

Well said. I didn't need anything more than a 68u/p. But I wanted to not have to upgrade for 5 or 6 years. I figure with Comcasts slow speed improvements, the number of wifi/wired clients I have and the slow adoption of faster wireless in phones tabets ecte. I should be good for some time. But I also knew what I bought was overkill. For most of us a RT-AC3100, RTAC-88u / RT-AC5300, should last a long time.

I have over 20 routers and certainly don't need another. I just got the AC88U to tinker with that's all. I'm currently using the 68P and have the WRT1200AC, WRT1900AC, EA9200, RT-N66U and RT-N66W near by for testing. No router is future proof as we all know.

I have over 20 routers and certainly don't need another. I just got the AC88U to tinker with that's all. I'm currently using the 68P and have the WRT1200AC, WRT1900AC, EA9200, RT-N66U and RT-N66W near by for testing. No router is future proof as we all know.

Yard sale / Craigslist? ;)

Yard sale / Craigslist? ;)

I keep getting new ones as I get rid of the old ones. I'm still sitting on a few old G and N300 routers as AP's. I have sold, traded and gave some away to family members and friends. I use the old WRT54G, GL and GS to test DD-WRT and Tomato firmware.

Asus support page for 5300 is live

Latest Fw avaiable there is 3.0.0.4.380.838

Is there any FW newer than this one? Even betas?

Thanks
Anyone know of how to grab older fw? I was older then the .838 before I upgraded yesterday and performance for me has sunk considerably on the .838. My dead spots are back.

The support site only shows .838

Did you change any settings? Maybe try a factory reset and reconfigure in case something got moved.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Did you change any settings? Maybe try a factory reset and reconfigure in case something got moved.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Left everything intact. The bands themselves have their same quality/distance/throughput. It seems like it's the smart connect that got worse. A few other devices failing to connect too.

Contacted Asus, they won't give me the old fw

Oh, you are using Smart Connect...I have low expectations for Smart Connect. 3200 Smart Connect was Alpha-test feature. For 5300, it is probably Beta-test feature, LOL. I had better luck just configuring Roam Assist feature--at least it kept me from lingering on a weak signal!

Oh, you are using Smart Connect...I have low expectations for Smart Connect. 3200 Smart Connect was Alpha-test feature. For 5300, it is probably Beta-test feature, LOL. I had better luck just configuring Roam Assist feature--at least it kept me from lingering on a weak signal!

Smart connect at my 3200 is everything but not smart at all :), I have to agree with you Sir

Let's see when my 5300 arrives if they made some improvements

Smart connect at my 3200 is everything but not smart at all :), I have to agree with you Sir

Let's see when my 5300 arrives if they made some improvements
I had the crap that was the ac3200, worst router experience I ever had since I been buying them.

But the ac5300, out of the box had been the complete opposite, really trouble free. With that fw upgrade, it hasn't been nearly as smooth. The smart connect got dumb again and noticing a few more devices having issues staying/getting connected. A static ip fixed it on one device, although I don't get the logic why. Was hoping someone could explain that to me, was genuinely curious.

Also, for those that use it or was interested in it, got a email from wtfast, free tier being discontinued, have 14 days to upgrade to a paid tier. not sure how this affects Asus wtfast routers. Upon initial signup you get a free account so on the surface, seems like s.o.l. On this one? I didn't play any of the games on their list.

After a firmware upgrade, I recommend going to the Smart Connect settings page, and clicking on the button at the bottom to revert back to the Smart Connect default settings, just in case those defaults might have changed with a new firmware release.

After a firmware upgrade, I recommend going to the Smart Connect settings page, and clicking on the button at the bottom to revert back to the Smart Connect default settings, just in case those defaults might have changed with a new firmware release.
Thanks. I eventually went the restore route. It's behaving better but not quite as well as pre fw upgrade. I'd say it's just slower on switching. It seemed to behave better as time went by as well, as if smart connect needed time to start balancing the load(very uneducated guess). It's still better then any router I've had to date, we will see how smart connect behaves when the family loads up on the router tonight.

Wii u did not like the upgrade though, if I wanted smart connect on, I had to go static ip on the console to get it going.

I am sure this question has been asked and answered before, but if I give all of bands the same SSID (2.4,5-1,5-2) will the router determine which is best and do the necessary switching?

On my rt-ac3200 I get 2mbit down on 2ghz and 50mbit on 5ghz. The netgear x6 I tried gets well over 150. Anyone else see this issue?

Also, for those that use it or was interested in it, got a email from wtfast, free tier being discontinued, have 14 days to upgrade to a paid tier. not sure how this affects Asus wtfast routers. Upon initial signup you get a free account so on the surface, seems like s.o.l. On this one? I didn't play any of the games on their list.

There's another thread where discussion has picked up a bit...

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/wtfast-setup.29013/