1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS RT-AC5300

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by madhatter01, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

Not to mention the 3100 just flat out works great !! :)

2. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

No, not really...

Might be a time for Vendors to review their architectures, and get away from hacks like Broadcom's CTF/FA due to SW and HW limitations...

Marvell designs, as an example, don't do any kind of haxxies there... but at a big BOM cost compared to Broadcom's solutions, and with Broadcom, starting to see their HW and SW limitations starting to pop up with higher bandwidth WAN connections...

3. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

But when you are talking about 3rd fw surviving are you inserting the Merlin's one?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

4. kvic

kvic Part of the Furniture

CTF/FA shall have no problem handling gigabit WAN and wireless. They're clever tricks delivering performance at lower cost. Unfortunately it has bugs. So my personal feeling is love+hate. On my AC56U, I have to turn it off.

I very much want to agree with you. Implement "real" hardware acceleration will be much preferred. Without broadloom's agreement though, it's no use. The current path will probably continue for a few years. Until they sense loosing a competitive edge, unlikely to see an abrupt change. Bump up CPU clock or adding a FPU alone will probably keep them going stronger.

Hence, 3rd party FW without CTF/FA can't survive much longer. More and more homes are going to see slowdown without such acceleration.

5. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

Asus support page for 5300 is live

Latest Fw avaiable there is 3.0.0.4.380.838

Is there any FW newer than this one? Even betas?

Thanks

6. doeboy

doeboy Occasional Visitor

Not that I'm aware of. I've been running the .838 update since last Tuesday night when I received my router and so far it has been doing great!

wsarahan likes this.
  7. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

Thanks, my router will departure USA tomorrow to Brazil, i think more 15 days more or less i`ll have it in hands, wish me lucky in this travel process, customs.... post offices...

L&LD likes this.
  8. Puppa

Puppa Senior Member

Well, I bit the bullet and bought one of these when it came up at $399.99 this morning on Amazon for a couple of minutes (just long enough for the scalpers to buy them all up and jack up the price again). I'm in the middle of a signal battle with my hacked-up next door neighbor's wifi: I'm right at the edge of surviving with my RT-AC3200, but my devices still get knocked off regularly and randomly (his signals on both bands are frequently stronger in my house than my own are!) I'm getting really tired of rebooting my thermostats! The past month has been an especially challenging one in that regard--way too much time fiddling with the router vs. doing other important stuff, so it was a lucky break when I clicked through to see it in stock.

Depending on how strong the signal is, I'll either leave it where it is or put it dead center of my house. I'm rooting for the lazy leave-it-where-it-is option. I'll post back with my anecdotal impressions later, as Amazon said it won't arrive until Friday. Take that, neighbor!

Blind_Bandit likes this.
  9. hackintoshsr

hackintoshsr Regular Contributor

Any chance they are working on being able to change the channels when smart connect is on?

wsarahan likes this.
  10. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

I asked Merlin about this once and he said that is impossible, at least for now, I don't think that it will change really

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

11. Bheleu

Bheleu New Around Here

Splurged $399 on Amazon for the RT-AC5300. The features I want to utilize are the 3G/4G USB Modem connection (TetherMe so either my wife's or my AT&T iPad Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan can act as ISP - kicking cable to the curb and help pay for this router update), VPN - Private Internet Access.Com and some form of DDNS - so I can still access my cameras due to the rotating IP address. I am still trying to read and find the safe TetherMe configuration so my iPad plan stays safe. I had ran across one article where one user uses his Apple USB Modem in this manner, and was hoping to duplicate the results. We also have some HDTV Ethernet boxes (SiliconDust HD Homerun & Homerun Prime) that did not work very well on our ancient routers, so hoping the increased bandwidth reduces the interference and increases the effective wireless range to my wireless tablets.

Additionally if I can get the above working effectively, I want to get a cheaper Asus router setup for the car, and hookup a network security camera system on it as well (front, rear, side, cab views) - so I can plug my tablet in my car when on the road (eventually my wife's too), and then drop it into the router at home when I arrive.

Has anyone else done anything similar (either home or car), and what precautions did you use to keep from losing your GF Unlimited Data plan?

----

Update: Seems PDANet is the way to go instead of TetherMe:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2bpqgm/using_tetherme_got_the_txt_from_att_im_on/

May have to also Spoof my iPad mac address to the router:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/pdanet-foxfi-and-att-clues-as-how-its-detected.803595/

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  12. sfx2000

I fail to see why folks would spend $400 USD on something that doesn't offer much more than other solutions...

sm00thpapa likes this.
  13. sfx2000

I'll again reiterate that most folks will be fine with an RT-AC3100 if wanting to explore something beyond what is capable with the tried and true RT-AC68 series (AC1900).

I find no compelling reason to go beyond AC1900 for the first half of 2016 due to the dearth of MU capable clients... and even then, MU doesn't have much to offer, IMHO...

sm00thpapa likes this.
  14. wsarahan

wsarahan Senior Member

I just bought the 5300 because I have serious issues with the 3200 one, just waiting the 5300 to arrive to sell the 3200, hope the new one works better

15. sfx2000

I certainly want to know what car model/color you are driving, so that way I can avoid you as you're distracted because your QoS/OpenVPN/Guest Network isn't working with the netflix while you're bit torrenting from the home router and doing Remote Desktop back to your Windows machine (or Screen Sharing with a Mac, lol)...

nagle3092 and sm00thpapa like this.
  16. sfx2000

Think it's going to work any better?

The AC3200 have more time behind it from Asus and 3rd party developers...

17. Blind_Bandit

Blind_Bandit Occasional Visitor

Wow I would have got in his face.... as well.

18. Blind_Bandit

Blind_Bandit Occasional Visitor

I'm glad. I hate when people try to push something on people without the technical knowledge.

I wish you could have pointed out a good option for them....

19. sfx2000

I agree that it's offensive, but at the same time, the salesguy is working on min wage and spiffs, not even commission... there are times where I would like to step in, but stepped back, shaking head...

Not our place to get in the middle of a guy trying to keep his job (quotas) and folks willingly parting with their money...

NightOwl326 likes this.
  20. Bheleu

Bheleu New Around Here

At $400, it was only $120 more than either the AC3100 or other one I was looking at.

Guess I failed to mention we have MagicJack for VOiP, 2 HDTV Streamers, Nest, iPad 1st Gen, 2-iPad 2nd Gen, iPad 3rd Gen, iPad mini Retina, iPod, iPhone4, 2 Amazon Prime Fire Sticks, a Rokio, MacBook Pro, Desktop (home built), 3 HP Laptops, 58in 21:9 SmartTV, Insight Smartswitch, Wii, WiiU, 3D Blu-Ray, and 9.2 Surround Onkyo receiver tied to the network, oh and almost forgot my Android Tango, and our Apple TV, and security camera system. Pretty sure that is all, but I really hope this helps relieve the bottlenecks on our current network, and removed some of the switches and extra range extenders (2600 sq ft, single story). If I am upgrading, I want something to last a few years. The AC5300 is for the home, as I said a cheaper router will be fine for the car once I figure out the best setup in the house. This replaces very dated hardware, and hopefully allows me to take out a couple network cables that crowd the entertainment space, and maybe reuse them at some point for an HD home camera system.

Netflix in the car, you bet (along with Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc.)! With a large family, rather the kids be entertained on a trip, and rather listen to Pandora than local radio ads. My parents like to check up on us, so all they have to do is press the talk button, etc. Plus I have options to mount wireless HD cameras (just run power), setup hotspot for outings, or stream to an WiFi 4k HD (not that I have one, but it could happen someday) projector on a camping trip (enjoy nature, and still enjoy electronics - cake & eat it too). Technology exists to use, enjoy, etc. you cannot take your $$$ with you so you might as well save and spend it on the things you do enjoy.

As far as the car, it's a 2001 54MPG gas miser, with a 180VDC Hybrid electric power and low miles. I skimp on many things, so I can enjoy the tech.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2015
    thc likes this.