What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My 5300 is still going strong on firmware 753. Not a single problem. Even dhcp on my media extender is still working 12 days in. This thing is a beast. Never ever have I had a home router of any brand behave so well, and I've been searching for this since I first got broadband back in 2001. My Mikrotik isnt even this stable! Forget MU-MIMO...stability with throughput are all I ever wanted, and this thing just works.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
It feels weird doesn't it? Having a router that actually is delivering on what its advertising? A router that's not in beta retail mode? I haven't been able to shake what my perception of beta routers has become from past few years. It's just downright unnerving not looking forward, not waiting for the next firmware hoping it will magically make it work like it should.

The single best feature of this router is it turned off all the complaining from the family as in 'wifi isn't working, can you fix it?' I'm not stupid, of course I wish it was cheaper but damn it's been worth the money. at that price, I truly am getting the best performance, noticablely so, out of any ac router I've ever used. For the money, you are getting a router that's going to go farther with more throughout and stability out of any router you've probably tried before with a smart connect feature that actually works. Does the smart connect work perfectly? Nope, of course not but it also is something that you don't have to turn off either like with the ac3200.

It feels weird doesn't it? Having a router that actually is delivering on what its advertising? A router that's not in beta retail mode? I haven't been able to shake what my perception of beta routers has become from past few years. It's just downright unnerving not looking forward, not waiting for the next firmware hoping it will magically make it work like it should.

The single best feature of this router is it turned off all the complaining from the family as in 'wifi isn't working, can you fix it?' I'm not stupid, of course I wish it was cheaper but damn it's been worth the money. at that price, I truly am getting the best performance, noticablely so, out of any ac router I've ever used. For the money, you are getting a router that's going to go farther with more throughout and stability out of any router you've probably tried before with a smart connect feature that actually works. Does the smart connect work perfectly? Nope, of course not but it also is something that you don't have to turn off either like with the ac3200.

Hi, just wanted to say I can echo the sentiment. I had a bad experience with the 3200 but the 5300 has been rock solid. I was very skeptical about Smart Connect feature but it has been working surprising well, each device seem to connect at this best possible seed all the way upto 1300/1300. The 5300 combined with a zyxel managed web switch with LAG works great. Finally a good SOHO solution.

So, I thought I knew a little bit about Wi-Fi, turns out, my knowledge has been outdated since N was released :)

I have >100 mbit fiber in my appartment, and used to have a 300N router (new at that time). As performance wasn't good enough, I added 500mbit powerline adapters to the mix, and to my surprise got 100mbit actual throughput between the two outlets farthest from eachother. The electricity company replaced part of the system in my apartment recently, and now powerline speeds have been decimated. I already wanted something faster, but now I'm forced to get it done ASAP.

I can't put ethernet in this appartment without violating a lot of housing rules or putting cable in visible areas (ugh) so I'm looking into this AC5300 unit. In fact, two of them, or a combo with AC88U. The second unit would be in media bridge mode in my home office, approximately 35 feet from the main unit connected to the fiber modem (two single-brick walls and one window in between). In case you are wondering why I would use a second AC5300 instead of an AC88U, the latter is not yet available in my country, while the former is, and the price difference isn't big enough for me to care.

(1) My TV/media room is even further than the main router from my office, but tends to stream everything from my main office desktop. Others have tested my media player to be able to reach 300mbit actual throughput on AC, but for my needs 100mbit would easily be enough. Is it realistic to expect with such a setup? (desktop->gbitEth->bridge->5ghz(35ft)->main->5ghz(15ft)->player). FWIW, I did use the player with the 300N router (before powerline) and got about 35mbit actual throughput.

(2) If I understand correctly, the bridge unit would simply connect on a single band, and not link both 5ghz bands simultaneously for even more speed? So this means 2167mbps link speed is the theoretical max?

(3) In one of the manuals I was able to download, I found a note saying that in bridge mode, the main router only connects wirelessly and bridge only connects wired. While I'm a bit miffed that the bridge can't also be an AP at the same time (seems the AC5300 would have enough bands for that?), I can live with that. What really strikes me is that statement that the main router only connects wirelessly, as I am considering hooking up my NAS to the main router instead of the bridge. I suspect this is just a faulty/ambiguous statement and you can still connect to the main router through ethernet as well, but it would be great if someone could confirm this!

I hope someone has some answers for me, thanks in advance. Any tips on improving the setup are of course always welcome.

@acnoob A 68U in bridge mode paired with the 5300 is working great for me, but don't expect to get more than a 1300/1300 connection.

@acnoob A 68U in bridge mode paired with the 5300 is working great for me, but don't expect to get more than a 1300/1300 connection.

I have a new AC5300 setup in AccessPoint mode. Can't seem to get more than 9.4mbs throughput. My AC3200 gets me 170mbs throughput, setup in same way. No idea why.

UPDATE: Asus is sending me a replacement AC5300. They suspect mine is bad.

Last edited:
I just upgraded today from a RT-N16 to the AC5300 after more than 5 yrs , wow what a diff. this thing is huge compared to my old one as you can see in the pic.
i upgraded to merlin firmware 380.57 (my first time messin with firmware updates) . my 5 ghz works great but my two old laptops on 2.4ghz are not able to connect anymore.
did i screw up something? any help appreciated.

my old one had tomato firmware which my buddy installed for me and i never had any issues all these years.

Jaj1Id4.jpg

Could be the old wireless drivers in your laptops are not compatible.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Update the laptops to the latest fw ,drivers , see if that helps

thanks that fixed it, got my drivers updated.
meanwhile decided to get two new intel 7260 ac cards to replace the old 'N' ones. that will help.

now to start tinkering with other stuff...lots of reading to do here.

I'm having a real issue between the RT-AC5300 and two PC's both of which use Intel wireless network cards. the Intel AC 7260 wireless card in my HP laptop and the Intel AC 7265 in an HP desktop PC frequently disconnect. I upgraded to the latest drivers of both but I am still having the problem. I am running the _838 firmware in the AC5300 which I upgraded to as soon as I received the router. No issues with any of the other devices in the house, computers, tablets, phones or Roku.

Is there anything I can do as far as settings with the router that could help this problem?

Last edited:
I'm having a real issue between the RT-AC5300 and two PC's both of which use Intel wireless network cards. the Intel AC 7260 wireless card in my HP laptop and the Intel AC 7265 in an HP desktop PC frequently disconnect. I upgraded to the latest drivers of both but I am still having the problem. I am running the _838 firmware in the AC5300 which I upgraded to as soon as I received the router. No issues with any of the other devices in the house, computers, tablets, phones or Roku.

Is there anything I can do as far as settings with the router that could help this problem?
Are you using Smart Connect or are your 3 bands separated for manual connection?

Are you using Smart Connect or are your 3 bands separated for manual connection?
I was using smart connect for a while but then turned it off. I just did a factory reset and put the laptop on the first 5GHz band and the desktop on the 2nd 5GHz band. I will see what happens.

Last edited:
thanks that fixed it, got my drivers updated.
meanwhile decided to get two new intel 7260 ac cards to replace the old 'N' ones. that will help.

now to start tinkering with other stuff...lots of reading to do here.
Do you get the same range with the 5300 you got with the N-16 ?

Are you sure that the settings on laptop and desktop are not set for computer to control wireless ? If not set to always on the OS could be turning off connection after no activity for x minutes

Hi everyone,
Just bought AC5300. So far so good. Great speed, pretty stable.
Two questions:

1. has anyone set up 802.3ad ? I enabled dynamic LACP on my switch and connected 1st port on AC5300 to it. No connection. I mean it's blinking, but it doesn't work. I was told that AC5300 has first two ports with 802.3ad enabled by default (I didn't find any LACP settings in web interface). Will it work only with 2 connected ports, but not one?

2. seems like my 5-2 band works worse than 5-1. My 2015 Samsung TV connects to 5-2 with no more than 877 Mbps and I see how it jumps sometimes from 877 to 50 and back when I use DLNA and sometimes disconnects. On the other hand my 2013 macbook connects to 5-1 always with 1300 Mbps and works without issues. I use SmartConnect. Haven't tried to disable it yet.

Just got my hands on the latest alpha firmware for the RT-AC5300, which enables MU-MIMO. Link and description below.

Description
Alpha MU-MIMO firmware for RT-AC5300
Wi-Fi Alliance MU-MIMO certification standard is not final and MU-MIMO has compatibility issues between different chipsets in this stage. We will continually release new firmware updates to improve MU-MIMO performance. MU-MIMO can be enabled in Wireless --> Professional. To test MU-MIMO, client card hardware and drivers must also support MU-MIMO. Please contact your client card provider for more details.

Known issues
1. Enable IPv6 might cause system hangup.
2. Enable Multicast routing might cause system hangup.
3. Cannot setup 3G/4G connection with USB dongle in Quick internet setup wizard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi5o55lre41s93d/RT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_380_1657-g12094c8.trx?dl=0

Last edited:
Just got my hands on the latest alpha firmware for the RT-AC5300, which enables MU-MIMO. Link and description below.

Description
Alpha MU-MIMO firmware for RT-AC5300
Wi-Fi Alliance MU-MIMO certification standard is not final and MU-MIMO has compatibility issues between different chipsets in this stage. We will continually release new firmware updates to improve MU-MIMO performance. MU-MIMO can be enabled in Wireless --> Professional. To test MU-MIMO, client card hardware and drivers must also support MU-MIMO. Please contact your client card provider for more details.

Known issues
1. Enable IPv6 might cause system hangup.
2. Enable Multicast routing might cause system hangup.
3. Cannot setup 3G/4G connection with USB dongle in Quick internet setup wizard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi5o55lre41s93d/RT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_380_1657-g12094c8.trx?dl=0

Thanks Joe

Do you think it might a try? i`m rock solid at 838

What`s the benefits of the MU-MIMO since i only use Wi-Fi at mobile devices?

Thanks

Thanks Joe

Do you think it might a try? i`m rock solid at 838

What`s the benefits of the MU-MIMO since i only use Wi-Fi at mobile devices?

Thanks

If you're wanting a rock solid firmware, I wouldn't use this one. ASUS wouldn't even publicly post this version due to it having many instabilities. MU-MIMO is one of the main features of the RT-AC5300. Info on exactly what it is can be found below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-user_MIMO