What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you get the same range with the 5300 you got with the N-16 ?

Are you sure that the settings on laptop and desktop are not set for computer to control wireless ? If not set to always on the OS could be turning off connection after no activity for x minutes
I haven't changed any wireless settings in the laptop and I never had a problem with my old router. I was trying to see if it is only happening after the laptop wakes from sleep but it doesn't seem to be the case. Would the latest Merlin build possibly help?

I haven't changed any wireless settings in the laptop and I never had a problem with my old router. I was trying to see if it is only happening after the laptop wakes from sleep but it doesn't seem to be the case. Would the latest Merlin build possibly help?
Not sure , give it a try , worst that can happen is it does not help , then you can return to stock Asus FW

Hi, just wanted to say I can echo the sentiment. I had a bad experience with the 3200 but the 5300 has been rock solid. I was very skeptical about Smart Connect feature but it has been working surprising well, each device seem to connect at this best possible seed all the way upto 1300/1300. The 5300 combined with a zyxel managed web switch with LAG works great. Finally a good SOHO solution.

Hi! How did you you set up LAG? Did it work automatically? Did it work with one cable?

haha, how so? of course, it must work with one cable! what will happen if in your LAG one cable dies? everything will work via second cable. No connection be interrupted.
What I was talking about is that I couldn't make LAG work at all with this AC5300...

Ah, okay. But then what is the point? No performance or reliability benefit is realized?

Did you use the proper ports on the AC5300? If I remember correctly, they are numbered backwards than how the firmware handles them.

Ah, okay. But then what is the point? No performance or reliability benefit is realized?

Did you use the proper ports on the AC5300? If I remember correctly, they are numbered backwards than how the firmware handles them.

well, so I have 802.3ad working with my storage. I disconnect the storage and connect AC5300 to the same ports on the switch. I tried AC5300 ports 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. Nothing worked.
Should anything be specifically activated on AC5300?

well, so I have 802.3ad working with my storage. I disconnect the storage and connect AC5300 to the same ports on the switch. I tried AC5300 ports 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. Nothing worked.
Should anything be specifically activated on AC5300?
make sure in your switch set to LACP and enable it on the router as well, some switch have couple modes, then plug on port 1 and 2 on the router.

Not sure , give it a try , worst that can happen is it does not help , then you can return to stock Asus FW
I may have found a fix playing around with the settings. I went into wireless properties and checked enable Intel connection settings. Then I checked 5.2GHz band. The default was mixed band. Since I've done that I haven't been disconnected for several hours. Hopefully this will have solved the problem but we'll see.

Ahaha! Here is it! I don't use AC5300 in Router mode! Switched directly to AP only. And at least 50% of settings disappeared including Switch Control.
That's hilarious. Why would you ever remove LAN settings in AP mode...

Well, I must say, I stopped back by after pretty much enjoying a refurb Airport Extreme for a month or so, and I am kinda jealous that so many people seem to be enjoying the 5300 after my terrible experience with the 87u. I look forward to continuing to see how the 5300 matures.

I have a new AC5300 setup in AccessPoint mode. Can't seem to get more than 9.4mbs throughput. My AC3200 gets me 170mbs throughput, setup in same way. No idea why.

UPDATE: Asus is sending me a replacement AC5300. They suspect mine is bad.
I haven't tested my 5300's Access Point mode. Is its throughput ok in the default router mode? As an experiment, instead of setting AP mode, turn off DHCP on the LAN of your 5300 and be sure to set your units LAN address manually to some unoccupied address in your network's subnet (like 192.168.1.254 if your LAN is a 192.168.1.xxx subnet). Turn off DNS as well. Also turn off the firewall and any AI protect features. Then connect your LAN network to one of the LAN ports, leaving the WAN port empty. If AP mode is buggy but router mode is Ok, this should give you better throughput

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Do you think it might a try? i`m rock solid at 838

What`s the benefits of the MU-MIMO since i only use Wi-Fi at mobile devices?
Good God, man! Why would you even think of loading alpha firmware you don't need, that ASUS won't even post, onto a perfectly good working router? You have to email them to request it.

Is this router also equipped with wall mounting holes on the bottom of the router ?. I can find nothing about back here in the manual.

[Quote = "thiggins, post: 228.503, lid 1"]. Nee, het is niet [/ QUOTE]
Thanks M8,

Furthermore, if you are the Do-It-Yourself type, it's probably a good idea (if you purchase it) to keep this router on the horizontal plane (such as a small shelf) because the antenna pattern is not all that flexible compared to other router's stock antennas. Even the cooling vents favor horizontal orientation.

And fw753 is working so well for me that, barring some serious security problem, I am not inclined to flash any other firmware, especially not *alpha* firmware (which means guaranteed trouble).

Has anyone with an Apple TV noticed that if you attempt to AirPlay from an iOS device on a different band than the Apple TV that AirPlay completely fails to work until both devices are on the same exact band? I have an Apple TV 3rd gen., iPad Air 1st gen., and an iPhone 6s Plus. My Apple TV goes to 5GHz-1 (designated for N only clients) as does my iPad Air. My iPhone 6s Plus goes to 5GHz-2 (designated for AC clients). AirPlay through the iPad works just fine while the iPhone doesn't work at all and Airplay just crashes altogether. If the iPad is handed down to 2.4GHz, via Smart Connect, then it ceases to work. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and, if so, are there any fixes? I'm not turning Smart Connect off, just as a heads up. It's a feature that comes in quite handy for my multitude of N and AC clients and serves my environment well enough for what I need.