What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is the 68U available in your country? I am using that as media bridge and its connection has been solid for a month straight. I suspect, however, that your signal conditions may be more challenging (farther away plus brick walls).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There's no issue with the connection itself. I can still get 100s of mbits throughput. This is clearly some software layer on the router misbehaving.

@acnoob I see from other thread you are using fw. 753 on your 5300. That version behaves well. You may want to try updating your 88 as a test.

On 5300, what features have you changed since factory reset? Have you installed newer firmware on it at some point, then went back to fw 753?

Last edited:
I wanted to compare 753 with what I am running now, but the links provided in the other thread (Merlin's file store) appears empty to me? Can others still download 753 ?

I have reported to Asus that the Smart Connect feature is not choosing full bandwidth channels for Europe on 5GHz-2. They have now logged it as a bug.

Firmware 1355 is live again at Asus support page

Do we need a factory reset after the upgrade?

Tks

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Guys I sent this to Astro support but as you are the genius about wifi and routers I decided to post here as well, Merlin do you have a light for me, take a look

Hi guys how are you?

Is it impossible to use teh A50 Gen 2 with routers that have smart connect? 3 bands

since i bought the headset i`m having issues, well i thought it could be my router but i changed the router and finally found the issue

if the receiver is on the wifi speed is a crap, when i turn it off it stays good like a charm, it is interfering in my 5ghz-2 that have the high channels, so what sould i do? need the smart connect

Should i sell the A50 and buy the new A40 TR?

-------------------------------------

Now I really need help, don't wanna buy another headset and don't wanna loose 5Ghz-2 as well

Edit: The Astro uses channels 149 to 161

Is there a way even with code to force the 5ghz-2 uses another channel instead this range at smart connect?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

@wsarahan Today, my 5GHz band 2 also hit the dreaded "Control channel undefined" bug. The only way I can work around it is to turn off Auto channel on the 2nd band. Seems like a failure to pick best channel or choosing an illegal channel (for my region) and bailing on it. Curious part is that devices actually still connect to it--horribly--but they still connect. Was your headset the only thing causing this? I noticed that my next door neighbor has messed with his access point (with way too high power levels) again, which could be the reason I am suddenly hitting this after 6 weeks of stable router bliss. Did manual channel setup solve your problem, or did you just have to get rid of the offending headset?

@wsarahan Today, my 5GHz band 2 also hit the dreaded "Control channel undefined" bug. The only way I can work around it is to turn off Auto channel on the 2nd band. Seems like a failure to pick best channel or choosing an illegal channel (for my region) and bailing on it. Curious part is that devices actually still connect to it--horribly--but they still connect. Was your headset the only thing causing this? I noticed that my next door neighbor has messed with his access point (with way too high power levels) again, which could be the reason I am suddenly hitting this after 6 weeks of stable router bliss. Did manual channel setup solve your problem, or did you just have to get rid of the offending headset?

So bad man :(

No, in my case what solved was selling the headset and getting a wired one, with the wireless headset everything was a mess and there was no way to solve

Having excellent luck with manual channel setting. Most of my clients seem to prefer that band now, at near 1GB up/down link rates. It must have been bouncing around on auto.

I tried Smart Connect but had to back it out. In the UK the only 80MHz capable channels for the higher numbers are 100,104,108,112. For some reason it locks 5GHz-2 to AC only connections, but then chooses channel 140 which doesn't support the full bandwidth!! Once you go to smart connect it seems impossible to choose the WiFi channels used.....

Even on CH 140, you're still 80Mhz channels for 11ac - the channel referenced is for 802.11a/802.11n(20MHz)...

No worries... Ch140 is actually kinda nice, as you're in the DFS clean zone...

Even on CH 140, you're still 80Mhz channels for 11ac - the channel referenced is for 802.11a/802.11n(20MHz)...

No worries... Ch140 is actually kinda nice, as you're in the DFS clean zone...

Manually, on my UK model, I cannot choose 80MHz for channel 140 in the menus and if I partner an AC68U with it as a media bridge, I cannot get a 1300 connect even with the 68U right next to it. I am convinced, whether its right or not, that on my AC5300 the only channels letting me select 80MHz are the low ones around 36 etc....and 100,112. Above 112, the menus are locked out for 80MHz under manual control, and as I said, with the AC68U in media bridge mode, it shows no 80MHz is available. In the US this restriction doesn't exist. I believe even channels 100-112 are for AC only.

Last edited:
To try and escape the undefined 5G-2 channel, I moved from stock 753 to firmware 1355, as manual channel setting was still unstable after a few hours. I'll be posting feedback in the official 1355 fw thread for the 5300.

This morning, I logged into the GUI to find a notification that a new firmware was available. I was redirected to the Administration > Firmware Upgrade page, but the download failed and a popup indicated it couldn't connect to ASUS' servers. Upon checking the support page, I see no new firmware updates. I'm running the latest alpha firmware, version 9.0.0.4.380_1680. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Well, someone in my household thought it would be a smart idea to get hammered late at night and screw around with my RT-AC5300. It was dropped on the floor and now I have a broken antenna and a damaged/loose SMA connector on the board. Is this something I can have ASUS fix if I send it in? If so, does anyone have any idea about how much it will cost (USD)?

Well, someone in my household thought it would be a smart idea to get hammered late at night and screw around with my RT-AC5300. It was dropped on the floor and now I have a broken antenna and a damaged/loose SMA connector on the board. Is this something I can have ASUS fix if I send it in? If so, does anyone have any idea about how much it will cost (USD)?

I'm sure Asus knows. Just contact and ask them. ;)

I wouldn't pursue this path though. I would (try) to give the broken router to your not so smart hammered acquaintance and get him/her to buy you a new router instead. :)

I'm sure Asus knows. Just contact and ask them. ;)

I wouldn't pursue this path though. I would (try) to give the broken router to your not so smart hammered acquaintance and get him/her to buy you a new router instead. :)

Just contacted ASUS and filed an RMA with them. I'm sending it in and giving it a shot.

Unfortunately, the drunkard that damaged it doesn't have $450 USD to shell out for a new one. They're willing to pay for damages though if I send it in, so I guess this is my best and only option. Sigh...

Just a quick follow up. I fixed the SMA connector on the board of the router. It was only a loose nut on the thread. ASUS would've charged me an arm and a leg for something I did for free in under 5 minutes. Only problem is that I still have a non-repairable, detachable dual band antenna. Anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've searched ASUS' website and googled around but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Only problem is that I still have a non-repairable, detachable dual band antenna. Anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've searched ASUS' website and googled around but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Email support and see if they have a part number to order a replacement - you really want a direct OEM replacement antenna considering how all the antennas work together on this device...