What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've never used the DDWRT before, how easy are they to use compared to Merlin?

From what I've read? Not very.

And with more chance of totally bricking your hardware too.

The new DDWRT betas seem to be working well. Its unlocked all the wireless frequencies for me (in the UK) which means the 2nd 5GHz is no longer rubbish. Hurrah!

Does DD-WRT for the AC5300 support band steering/Smart Connect, or is that feature completely exclusive to ASUSWRT?

@wsarahan Today, my 5GHz band 2 also hit the dreaded "Control channel undefined" bug. The only way I can work around it is to turn off Auto channel on the 2nd band. Seems like a failure to pick best channel or choosing an illegal channel (for my region) and bailing on it. Curious part is that devices actually still connect to it--horribly--but they still connect. Was your headset the only thing causing this? I noticed that my next door neighbor has messed with his access point (with way too high power levels) again, which could be the reason I am suddenly hitting this after 6 weeks of stable router bliss. Did manual channel setup solve your problem, or did you just have to get rid of the offending headset?
Did upgrading the firmware solve this or did you find another solution?

Did upgrading the firmware solve this or did you find another solution?
Upgrading firmware to 1355 fixed it for me, and it hasn't come back so far. Perhaps not coincidentally, I found that my son had purchased an ASTRO headset also when this happened. He experienced so much trouble with the headset that he returned it and everything was back to normal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Upgrading firmware to 1355 fixed it for me, and it hasn't come back so far. Perhaps not coincidentally, I found that my son had purchased an ASTRO headset also when this happened. He experienced so much trouble with the headset that he returned it and everything was back to normal.

That's why I had to sell my Astro a50 and buy the wired A40 TR one, this issue happens to all routers not only the 5300 one

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

without reading through 32 paqges has anyone done any linkl aggregation testing with this yet as i just got on and have enabled bonding on the router and my synology ds 415+ and am still only seeing 100MB/s speeds max which i get over a single ethernet anyway , i have connected the 2 ethernet ports from the synology to ports 1 and 2 on the router and my test pc via lan 3 for testing

pete

without reading through 32 paqges has anyone done any linkl aggregation testing with this yet as i just got on and have enabled bonding on the router and my synology ds 415+ and am still only seeing 100MB/s speeds max which i get over a single ethernet anyway , i have connected the 2 ethernet ports from the synology to ports 1 and 2 on the router and my test pc via lan 3 for testing

pete

Any single device is limited to 1GbE Ethernet speeds. Multiple devices used concurrently are needed to test link aggregation capabilities.

lol it must have been late , i knew that just worded the post wrong , was wondering about a procedure to do it to give accurate and repeatable results :)

lol it must have been late , i knew that just worded the post wrong , was wondering about a procedure to do it to give accurate and repeatable results :)

I don't see anything wrong with your testing (as stated)?

How repeatable (or not) are your results?

so i just ran through some testing and can pretty much confer with tim's testing in that there is something obviously wrong with the usb 3 esp its write performance

tested on Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_1355

ethernet to ethernet - rt-ac5300 to synology 415+ ( non bonded ) to test comp

read 113 MB/s write 113MB/s

usb 3

usb 3 ( with Reducing USB 3.0 interference disabled )

read 105 MB/s write 38.4 MB/s

usb 3 ( with Reducing USB 3.0 interference enabled )

read 35.6 MB/s write 23.5 MB/s

usb 3 to wifi 5 gig high at 3 feet same room

read 12.5 MB/s write 22.5 MB/s

usb 3 to 2.4 gig ch 1 at 3 feet same room

read 18.5 MB/s write 17.5 MB/s

--------------

im also having issues with the 5 gig low channel and coverage and throughput at distance

rt-ac5300 to synology 415+ with asus pce-ac68 comp

2.4 gig 40 mhz 600M sync ch 1 40mhz

read 22.8 MB/s write 9.34 MB/s rssi -68

5 gig low 20/40/80 mhz 1.3 gig sync ch 44

read 4.3 MB/s write 1 MB/s rssi - 74

5 gig high 20/40/80 mhz 1.3 gig sync ch 153

read 16.2 MB/s write 12.8 MB/s -75

there is still quite a lot that needs to be polished up wirth the 5300 at this stage , im going to send a full set of my results to asus as well and hopefully they can address some of these issues

once i have finished full set of results i will post it online and provide a link

pete

What is the brand and model of the USB 3 drive you are using?

Had nothing but a wonderful, stable experience with the latest MU-MIMO Alpha firmware.

This router is far and away the best out of box experience I've ever had and for the first time in forever I probably won't upgrade for sometime.

Had nothing but a wonderful, stable experience with the latest MU-MIMO Alpha firmware.

This router is far and away the best out of box experience I've ever had and for the first time in forever I probably won't upgrade for sometime.

What's the latest alpha fw version?

Tks

I have to say that the new Asus iPhone App for Ac5300 is just wonderful. In my opinion, one of the best iPhone apps that I have used to manage a router. I am getting very good range with the AC5300 when compared to some of the other newer routers I tested. Just my two cents.

Igor Goldshteyn
Tucson, Arizona

New Asus router user. Really like the AC5300! I have a question about OpenVPN configuration. Once it is set up on the router (using stock firmware) do all devices connecting go through vpn? Or is this only a feature available in Asuswrt-Merlin?

New Alpha firmware out - 2310.

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/5F8743D10A10466F916ABBB0298169C0Y

It finally allows you to change the wifi region under the professional tab

Let me ask you something guys

For example I live in Brazil and bought the router at USA this wifi region makes diference? If yes what's the difference selecting your country or region at wifi tab? I always thought that region would not matter in wifi

Thanks friends

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk