What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I bought Asus ac5300 yesterday and 5ghz-2 is not working. Sometimes it appears, but once I change some settings or router restarts 5ghz-2 disappears. I tried beta firmware, playing with different settings, resets. Nothing helps. Does everybody have this issue? Could anyone solve it or get a working replacement?
A few of us have found this....
If asus-5-2 is on auto channel it take 5 to 10 mins to show up so leave the config alone till it shows
If you hardcode the channel to say.... 116 it will take 2 to 5 mins to show
Some one stated in other 5300 threads...it is because it has to chech this upper band for non WiFi devices like radar
I think it fw bug but it's useable if you hard code it

1. Latest auto-updated fw from Asus
2. Manually updated to the same fw
3. Beta fw 9.x

Settings:
1. Auto channel or manual channel, tried 100, 116, 140
2. Disabled 5ghz 1 and 2.4 GHz,
3. All other settings at defaults - no QoS, no Antivirus
4. No USB disks
5. Tried 20 40 80 MHz channels and auto
6. Tried auto, n only, a/ac modes

Tired reset, reset with button

1. Latest auto-updated fw from Asus
2. Manually updated to the same fw
3. Beta fw 9.x

Tired reset, reset with button

1, 2 and 3 don't tell us anything. Be specific (auto update works randomly if at all and still doesn't tell us the firmware version).

After resetting the router, how did you configure it again? Manually? Or with a backup config file?

1. Latest auto-updated update 3.0.0.4.380.1355
2. Manually updated 3.0.0.4.380.1355
3. Beta update 9.0.0.4.380.2697

Every configuration was manual

I do not see how 20 minutes delay after reboot is usable. I cannot wait for 20 min each time I revoot it. Why you do not return this device if it is not working?

I received mine yesterday.
I set up my new AC5300, loaded merlins latest 59 alpha2 firmware
-I had a 2.4 hiccup when I first turned on smart connect, so I turned off smart connect, applied manual settings, then turned smart connect back on, been working great so far.
-I had a NVR issue, fixed by-- "NAT Loopback" ,was on Merlin, I switched it to "Asus"
-My tested 2.4GHz is the best of any router I owned to date, I get coverage in my weakest spot of my yard, (this is what I always wanted a router to do, finally, besides the rest below) (router in the same placement as all the rest).
-My 5GHz , no dead spots found yet, wifi to lan device control is great so far in all areas tested.
-No wifi drops seen at all!
-WIFI is switching perfectly/seamlessly so far also, from band to band!! (this is linksys weak spot, would not work at all going from 5 to 2.4 on linksys).
-QOS- I turned on Adaptive QOS, I have no idea if working, I choose Game for it.
-PS4 lag --- none found yet, all my other tests for this (that are meaningless for this router) is testing bad, BUT I see no more lag than my linksys (that was best for no lag).
-I am not seeing UPNP for my PS4 in system log, port forwarding?? I do see it in the connections list though.

All great so far, and seems to be worth the money. This AC5300 is doing what I always wanted a router to do, finally. (I hope I did not write this to soon)
I do take back all my bad comments about Asus Except that POS 87r. I personally think Asus should have given us 87 owners great discounts on this one.
Thanks to all
Thanks to Merlin!!

What Firmware are you using now and is it stable?
Also Is there any issues / feedback since you are using this router since April 15th?

Hello SNB

I am long time SNB reader but finally i registered today.

I am longtime Asus router user since Linksys started getting bad. My current AC66u started giving me lots of problem since last one month with 2.4 band disconnection/ disappear more then few times a day and very spotty 5 GHz coverage.
So After reading about AC5300 here on forum, i finally ordered it two days ago. And it was delivered at home today.

So I am going to be setting this router up tonight when i get home but i have a few questions for AC5300 users here on forum.

1.) What firmware is most stable right now? Asus 3.0.0.4.380.1355 OR Asus Beta Version 9.0.0.4.380.2697 OR Merlin RT-AC5300_380.59_beta2-gda78c52 ??

2.) Does the smart-connect works as it suppose to work? Is there any problem with it? ( I want to keep one SSID for all bands if possible for my non tech-savvy BH.)

3.) Should i keep channels for all 3 bands to Auto or to a fix manually assigned channel?

4.) I really hope i don't have problem like above where 5 GHz- 2 does not come up for 10 to 20 minutes after reboot.

5.) Any other helpful advise is welcome.

Thank you

1. The only one I would be interested in testing is the RMerlin 380.59 final. ;)

2. Depends on the clients you have.

3. Fixed channels are superior in every way.

4. Don't use DFS channels and you shouldn't have an issue.

5. The above is my opinion based off experience and reading all posts on this forum. Corrections will be gladly accepted on any of my points above. :)

1. The only one I would be interested in testing is the RMerlin 380.59 final. ;)

2. Depends on the clients you have.

3. Fixed channels are superior in every way.

4. Don't use DFS channels and you shouldn't have an issue.

5. The above is my opinion based off experience and reading all posts on this forum. Corrections will be gladly accepted on any of my points above. :)

Which channels are DFS channels to avoid?
Thanks.

Which channels are DFS channels to avoid?
Thanks.

All of them. As they can be used for radar and be a safety issue when WiFi and radar (airplane) signals cross.

All of them. As they can be used for radar and be a safety issue when WiFi and radar (airplane) signals cross.

That's where those tri-band routers are a bad investment if you live in EU - one of the two 5 GHz radio will be stuck using DFS channels. Which means if you have a nearby radar, I would expect it to be unusable a lot of time.

What Firmware are you using now and is it stable?
Also Is there any issues / feedback since you are using this router since April 15th?
My5300 has been running perfectly, Nothing at all bad about my 5300.

I am now testing the final merlin release .59 ( I was on the alpha 2 6016-04-05 that was just perfect)
So far on this final, I have been having a hard time getting my 2.4GHz to go to channel 11 with smart connect, I got it once but did a bunch of config restores, 2 different ways and so far no channel 11 with smart connect.
So I went into manual mode and am testing manual for now.
I wish we could change the channels in smart connect, that is the only option I want, does anyone know if this is possible??

So it is no really clear

1. Do any of you have the problem where 5ghz-2 is missing.
2. Could anybody solve it?
3. Is it country-dependant? Can country region settings be changed?
4. Is there anybody who has channel 5ghz-2 working right away after restart/configuration change?
5. If yes, what is your region?

So it is no really clear

4. Is there anybody who has channel 5ghz-2 working right away after restart/configuration change?

You have been answered but seem to be ignoring those posts? At the very least you're not answering them directly and/or not trying the advice already given.

If anyone could answer the above questions for you directly, they would have by now. ;)

Except for the post 686 I see now answers. 686 does not help

I think your first post was #679? I don't see you making any effort to help yourself since then?

You might want to review the posts from a week or so before yours to the end here again and try some of the suggestions before you ask the same question which, as we've seen so far, nobody can answer for you.

So it is no really clear

1= I do not have any problems with any of the 3 bands 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2
2= I don't have missing bands after restart
3= I think your problem might be, see post 692, From what I read you can not country change settings (verification on this please??).
4= Yes mine works right away after restart / configuration change
5= USA

Does this help?

I might have found out why in UK I was getting 2-20 mins wait for ASUS_5-2 (DFS)

QUOTE FROM PDF ...

"on the channels in the 5.6GHz to 5.65GHz range, the device (i.e. Access Point) must wait 10 minutes before commencing RF transmissions! The table below (taken from Annex D of the EN 301 893 standard) details this requirement:
Unlicensed 5GHz Wi-Fi Spectrum in the UK

Due to this very lengthy 10 minute wait period, it seems that many manufacturers have simply chosen to withdraw support for the channels affected (120, 124 and 128).
This is a very significant limitation for those of us in Europe. With the anticipated sharp uptake in 5GHz usage around the globe, particularly as new 802.11ac equipment starts to roll out; the loss of 3 channels is quite a chunk of spectrum to lose"

END QUOTE

so by me hardcoding the router to use 100 it is not auto testing 120,124,128 with all the time penalty they create)

hardcoding to 100 or 116 I get ASUS_5-2 come up in 1-4 mins instead :¬)

Dang nabbit (but I'm a nooob I don't realy know nuffing me :¬)

I am now on merlins 59 final. (great job Merlin!)
I have turned off smart connect.
all 3 bands to same SSID and password
I live in USA
on the 2.4 side
WM to auto with b/g protection
CB to 40MHz
CC 11

WM to N/AC
CB to 80 MHz
CC to 48

WM to N/AC
CB to 80 MHz
CC to 161

In my testing over the past days, I find a really good performance / distance gain, setting the two 5GHz channels to their highest channels. (note: there are NO other 5GHz neighbors around me at all)
I also find IOS devices will switch from bands (mostly 2.4 and 5) smoothly on their own. Android not so much.

This 5300 is a smooth perfect router with stunning wifi performance.