What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Let me ask you something guys

For example I live in Brazil and bought the router at USA this wifi region makes diference? If yes what's the difference selecting your country or region at wifi tab? I always thought that region would not matter in wifi

Thanks friends

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Changing the regions locks or unlocks specific wireless channels

I have to say that the new Asus iPhone App for Ac5300 is just wonderful. In my opinion, one of the best iPhone apps that I have used to manage a router. I am getting very good range with the AC5300 when compared to some of the other newer routers I tested. Just my two cents.

Igor Goldshteyn
Tucson, Arizona

Worth its insane price though?

I don't have this region option with the firmware you posted! Mine was a UK model. I suspect this option isn't meant to appear or only does with the US version.

Ah that might be a point. Got mine delivered from Australia for £250 and even came with the uk original mains

Hello, I just bought ASUS RT-AC5300 router and I love it!
There is one problem tho, USB3 external storage does not work on USB3 port on the router but it works on the USB2 port. I have formatted as FAT32, NTFS and MAC Journaled but no luck. However, USB3 stick does work in the USB3 port. Does anyone else have this problem? The router firmware is: 3.0.0.4.380_1355

Hello, I just bought ASUS RT-AC5300 router and I love it!
There is one problem tho, USB3 external storage does not work on USB3 port on the router but it works on the USB2 port. I have formatted as FAT32, NTFS and MAC Journaled but no luck. However, USB3 stick does work in the USB3 port. Does anyone else have this problem? The router firmware is: 3.0.0.4.380_1355

Disable the option related to USB 3.0 Interference under Wireless -> Professional (2.4 GHz band).

Disable the option related to USB 3.0 Interference under Wireless -> Professional (2.4 GHz band).

Thanks it works!!
But as I did this one of the 5GHz network went out for like 20 minutes, the other day I was experimenting with apple time capsule in ethernet port the same 5GHz network got disabled for few hours, is this normal?
And does this USB3 option interfere with the radio signal ?

Thanks it works!!
But as I did this one of the 5GHz network went out for like 20 minutes, the other day I was experimenting with apple time capsule in ethernet port the same 5GHz network got disabled for few hours, is this normal?

It shouldn't, unless it's automatically switching to a channel that isn't supported by your client.

USB 3.0 devices emit some radio interference on a frequency that's close to what is used by the 2.4 GHz wifi. If everything is properly shielded (the device, the cable, and the router), then it should work fine. If one of these isn't well shielded, the interference can impact 2.4 GHz performance. What this setting does is force the device to run at USB 2.0 speed. However, some devices aren't compatible with that forced downgrade, so they don't work at all if it's enabled.

I have a question about OpenVPN. My understanding is that the AC5300 does not provide OpenVPN access to all clients? Each client has to log in individually. If this is is true, can the the latest version of Asuswrt-Merlin provide universal VPN access to all my clients?

Thanks it works!!

USB3 can interfere with 5GHz especially. Does your external drive's USB cable include a ferrite interference filter (visible as a large nub around the cable, usually close to the 'B' end)?

Also, is your external storage device completely powered by USB, or do you have an external AC adapter plugged in for it? The USB3 spec allows for higher current output compared to USB2, but current draw is another difference that is likely between a stick and a disk. Does time capsule cause 5GHz to go down if you use the stick also?

USB3 can interfere with 5GHz especially. Does your external drive's USB cable include a ferrite interference filter (visible as a large nub around the cable, usually close to the 'B' end)?

USB3 near-field interference is worst at 2.4GHz as a wide-band noise source - should be little to no impact at 5GHz.

I have been experimenting a little.
The router has 3bands, and it is as follows:
2.4GHz > channel 6 > Channel bandwidth 20/40 > b/g Protection
5GHz-1 > channel 48 > Channel bandwidth 20/40/80
5GHz-2> channel 108 > Channel bandwidth 20/40/80

Whenever I make changes to the router, for example add Guest Network or Remove Guest Network my net disconnects for few seconds, all but 5GHz-2 that network often disconnects and disappears from my laptop networks list for 2-20 minutes. Sometimes during the night i turn off the router, when I turn the router on in the morning 5GHz-2 network is the last network to show up in the active network list on my computer, sometimes I have to wait up to 20 minutes for that network to appear.
Is this normal?
p.s. there are no USB devices connected to the router, should I do factory reset?

Hi, I just got this router. What is the best firmware (and version) should I use for this? Is there a Merlin firmware for this unit?

Also, is there anything I should disable in the settings (due to bugs)? I kind of read somewhere that smart connect isn't working and should be disabled? (not sure)

My unit is on its way to me. (so I have no personal experience yet, for this router)
After reading lots of reviews on the web, it seems the latest beta firmware from Asus is very stable as is RMerlin's test alpha, look under test folder (I think its based off the Asus beta) Maybe RMerlin or someone will chime in on that.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin
As for smart connect it seems to be working, some complain, but I found nothing so far stating they don't work on the latest firmware.

Either this router is solid (it certainly seems so), or its way out of the price range of most.

Please post what you find.

What's the difference between the Asus firmware and Merlin firmware? Which one should I get?

Merlin will fix things and add useful sruff
Please read Merlin's change log.
Try both, run one for a week then put the other on. See what works best for you, until the next update.
I personally am going to start with Merlin's, if all is great I'm leaving it.