What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi guys this Router is a beast, I love it. I have done the optimal settings on it. However I having trouble with the USB on it.

I want to share movies from the USB by deleting and adding to it. I can access the USB content from my laptop, TV etc but I am not able to delete or add content without taking the USB out of the router.

Please can someone tell me how I can remote into the USB on the router and add and delete stuff of it, I have been on the GUI and all i can see is Airdisk but dnt knw if that will allow me to do it.

Someone please help me.

Cheers

Anyone facing 5G-2 able to connect to iphone 6s+, but slow or intermittent wifi ??? Only able to solve if i check xbox compability

Anyone facing 5G-2 able to connect to iphone 6s+, but slow or intermittent wifi ??? Only able to solve if i check xbox compability
I have not noticed but I am on merlin .59 firmware, if you are on any very recent Asus firmware that may be the issue, way too many problems on very recent firmware, some seem to have good luck but others ...........

My 2 iPhones and 1 iPad are always on either 5-1 or 5-2 ( I do not have optimized for xbox" checked), if I see any problem with usually my 6 plus I need to reboot my 6 plus to fix it, so far. I have been up 50 days now on merlins .59 and so has my friend. I don't plan on switching to anything newer until I read lots of positive feedback on a few newer firmwares. As we will not be able to go back, you may be able to with the asus recovery tool, if you are on a very new firmware as I would if you were.

What firmware are you on?

Currently on latest firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3341............

I have not noticed but I am on merlin .59 firmware, if you are on any very recent Asus firmware that may be the issue, way too many problems on very recent firmware, some seem to have good luck but others ...........

My 2 iPhones and 1 iPad are always on either 5-1 or 5-2 ( I do not have optimized for xbox" checked), if I see any problem with usually my 6 plus I need to reboot my 6 plus to fix it, so far. I have been up 50 days now on merlins .59 and so has my friend. I don't plan on switching to anything newer until I read lots of positive feedback on a few newer firmwares. As we will not be able to go back, you may be able to with the asus recovery tool, if you are on a very new firmware as I would if you were.

What firmware are you on?

ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3341

Release note:

ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

Security Fixed
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2110 (Man in the middle attacks possible with NTLMSSP)
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2111 (NETLOGON Spoofing Vulnerability)
- ASUS firmware did not enable Samba LDAP, and not affected by CVE-2016-2112 (LDAP client and server don't enforce integrity) issue.
- The Samba version in ASUS firmware was not affected by
CVE-2016-2118 (SAMR and LSA man in the middle attacks possible)
- The Samba version in ASUS firmware was not affected by
CVE-2015-5370 (Multiple errors in DCE-RPC code)
- Fixed command injection issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.
- Fixed XSS issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.

Bug Fixed
- Fixed Windows Radius server compatibility issues.
- Fixed 5G performance issue when using bandwidth monitor.
- Fixed bandwidth monitor incorrect number problem.
- Fixed setup wizard redirect issue when router automatically changed LAN IP in IP conflict case.
- Modified setup wizard process when router detected DHCP and PPPoE at the same time.
- Fixed bandwidth limiter bug when there are multiple clients in rule list.
- Fixed NTP automatically sync issue when router rebooted
- Fixed Safari slow response issue.
- Enhance AiCloud dynamic stream port mechanism (please also keep AiCloud app up to date)
- Fixed AiCloud share link related issues.

MD5:1f62a1216ed90348a5f375c2c4731556

New Firmware released..

ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3941

Security Fixed
- Fixed XSS issue in WDS page. Special thanks for Jamie's contribution.
- Fixed LPR buffer overflow issue. Special thanks for GeekPwn contribution.
- Remoted DHCP information disclosure.

Bug Fixed
- Fixed smart sync GUI issue.
- Fixed reboot issue when using repeater mode.

Modifications
- Added bluetooth coexistence option in wireless--> professional.
Bluetooth audio transmission(A2DP) near router would interfere 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, enabling bluetooth coexistence can reduce the speed drop.
Known issue: Enabling this option would also reduce 2.4G maximum throughput a little, so the default value is disable.
- Modified failback behavior when only turn on dual wan failover.
- Modified the firmware upgrade page.

Has anyone tried

This is the one feature that interests me:

"Added bluetooth coexistence option in wireless--> professional.
Bluetooth audio transmission(A2DP) near router would interfere 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, enabling bluetooth coexistence can reduce the speed drop.
Known issue: Enabling this option would also reduce 2.4G maximum throughput a little, so the default value is disable[d]."

Has anyone tried

This is the one feature that interests me:

"Added bluetooth coexistence option in wireless--> professional.
Known issue: Enabling this option would also reduce 2.4G maximum throughput a little, so the default value is disable[d]."
best firmware till date.

Would you recommend staying with Asus FW or going with Merlin's 380.61 FW that he just released?

My 5GHZ-1 has been disappearing since 3941. Any ideas?

Edit: A factory reset seems to have fixed it for now. Very strange.

Last edited:
So far I am sticking with Merlin's 380.61, I like the port forwarding section in Merlin's, you can edit the rules without deleting them. Also I like the wifi icon on top, and some other features...and it feels much quicker than the stock.

I love the idea of smart connect, BUT it does not work for us.
Meaning we have no control over smart connect and smart connect is actually really dumb thanks to Asus and their lack of thinking, as my router with it on always chooses the wrong channels, same as neighbors and that is not smart at all. Besides all the other stuff we loss control of in the wifi section.
IOS devices have smart connect built in, apparently an apple patent.

I hope Asus uses some smart themselves and fixes all this so we can enable smart connect.

I upgraded my ac87u to ac3200 for the smart connect feature. At the beginning it had all sort of problem and I had to manually configure the rules (lot posts here talked about it) so my Amazon fire tv can connect as the default rule won't connect fire tv. Weird right? I posted everywhere, on amazon, on here, never got any Asus response. But then earlier this year sometime, suddenly one firmware upgrade fixed that problem the problem so I simply went back to default rules.

The reason I'm having my eyes on ac5300 is because the ac3200 has lately loosing connection, I have set it to auto reboot every night, still occasionally during the day the router won't connect.

So yesterday I brought back an open box rt-ac5300 from newegg city of industry office, thought give it a shot. Guess what, this beast won't even deliver signal to a room at the edge of my house, while I used to connect my laptop in my front yard, outside my house. Unless this open box is a defective router, rt-ac5300 so far is a joke.

I've been upgrading Asus router almost every single year for the last 7-8 years. every upgrade the signal slowly improved a bit, 5300 is the first time I see a huge retreat.

So yesterday I brought back an open box rt-ac5300 from newegg city of industry office, thought give it a shot. Guess what, this beast won't even deliver signal to a room at the edge of my house, while I used to connect my laptop in my front yard, outside my house. Unless this open box is a defective router, rt-ac5300 so far is a joke.

I've been upgrading Asus router almost every single year for the last 7-8 years. every upgrade the signal slowly improved a bit, 5300 is the first time I see a huge retreat.

I would believe it was a defective router.
I have a very weak spot in my yard and I do get signal there with this router when it is on a specific channel 11, any deviation and signal at that area goes wonky. So I had my router on manual mode until some neighbor decided to let the cable install its router wifi and it jumped on my channel 11, so I just put the router in smart connect mode and so far its changing and finding channels that neighbors are not using.
As far as signal my friends and mine are just doing outstanding on merlins .59 still, I had over 2 months without a reboot until that cable POS router used channel 11, now I see in the network map 2 neighbors fighting for channel 11.
I think I need to break out my Linksys and use that as an extender (or ??) or buy an asus one to get signal in that weak area all the time instead of fighting with neighbors using that one channel that gets me there.

Anyway this router has been the beast it claims for me and my friend on merlins .59 firmware.
What firmware did you install, out of curiosity?

I would believe it was a defective router.
I have a very weak spot in my yard and I do get signal there with this router when it is on a specific channel 11, any deviation and signal at that area goes wonky. So I had my router on manual mode until some neighbor decided to let the cable install its router wifi and it jumped on my channel 11, so I just put the router in smart connect mode and so far its changing and finding channels that neighbors are not using.
As far as signal my friends and mine are just doing outstanding on merlins .59 still, I had over 2 months without a reboot until that cable POS router used channel 11, now I see in the network map 2 neighbors fighting for channel 11.
I think I need to break out my Linksys and use that as an extender (or ??) or buy an asus one to get signal in that weak area all the time instead of fighting with neighbors using that one channel that gets me there.

Anyway this router has been the beast it claims for me and my friend on merlins .59 firmware.
What firmware did you install, out of curiosity?
I upgraded ac5300 to the latest firmware from asus site before I even started to configure it. I've convinced there is something wrong with this open box item, it felt the connectivity went back to year of N66U when I had to drop t-mobile switch to at&t because the cell phone wasn't able to connect wifi from the edge of my backyard. my router is always at the center of the house right inside the liveroom.

However, I'm hesitating to try a brand new ac5300, at close to $400 price tag, I'm not finding any leap improvement from everywhere I read. I'm acutally not worried about the router stability problem as usually the firmware would become mature over the course of year following its release. The price trend often reflects the overtime acceptance by the market. rt-ac3200 has seen a big price drop I presume has a lot to do with its initial smart rule malfunction. rt-ac88u and 3100 on the contrary are able to keep and even increase its price after almost year of release, my guess is who ever bought 88u/3100 must have enjoyed its performance.

Honestly speaking, I've used 66u, 68u, 87u (still have 68u as a bridge), there have definitely been improvement both in range and throughput on each upgrade. But what ac3200 sold on me is not its signal improvement though I wish it does, it's the tri-band smart control. What I had wished is ac5300 will bring the kind of improve over 3200 similar to that from 68u to 87u for example.

Has anybody experience 68u/87u upgrading to 88u and felt the improvement in signal/throughput/range? That'd be my justification of the $400 upgrade of ac5300 over ac3200. So far I haven't heard any, and the price of ac5300 stayed high ever after a year is a mystery to me.

Wow..read this entire thread whenever I had time to spare. But forgot what I've read because it was on and off for a week. I recently purchase this router new from Craigslist for $200 which is a steal. I have not installed it yet because I wanted to read first. So far I have downloaded the latest Asus firmware and the latest Merlin firmware. I will be installing this router to replace my RT-N56U. This router is overkill for what I intend to use it for. But for the price..heck yeah why not. Hopefully all goes well on the install.

I'm using 5GHz Smart Connect only with "Hide SSID" option enabled. But I still see my WiFi network as available to connect. When I'm trying to connect to it - it fails, but if I connect to it manually (like choose "Other" and enter SSID and all the info manually), it works.
Can someone verify if the network is still seen in Hide SSID mode with 5GHz SM only?

I'm considering buying this router, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to have it set up.

My current router is a Watchguard router which creates an IPSEC VPN tunnel between my home and my work. I need this tunnel for day to day activity and don't want to use a software VPN option. The AC5300 supports VPN passthrough, but I guess that means you can't create IPSEC VPNs on it? Is that correct?

The other thing I don't want to do is divide my network between two different subnets. There are options to have one router connected to my cable modem, and the other router, but then this leaves some computers and devices on one network and everything else on the other.

What I'm thinking of doing is keeping my Watchguard router connected to the cable modem, plugging the WAN connection from the AC5300 to one of the Ethernet ports on the Watchguard, and then making the Local Network on the AC5300 be the same as the Watchguard Local Network. Obviously I will make sure there aren't any IP conflicts, but I'm not sure if it will allow me to have the External and Local networks be on the same LAN. The Watchguard will not have Wireless or DHCP, I want that all handled by the ASUS.

Any other suggestions people can think of to get both of these routers running on the same network?

I picked this up after radio failures from R8500s. I've read reports of radio failures on this model too but so far it's been holding up and hope it's not a chipset issue since both models share it.

It's not as fast as the R8500 in my environment but the feature set and interface are way better than the tired netgear UI. I also had an RT-AC3100 and RT-AC1900P that I returned because this was a better performer and cheaper overall than having separates like I've been doing for years. This actually replaced two WiFi models (still have another two in operation) since I wanted two 5 GHz radios and one 2 GHz where I was disabling one of the 2 GHz radios on one of the older ones.

I had a Synology RT1900AC and really liked the UI and features better but the performance was lackluster. I'm waiting on an RT2600AC to arrive and if it's at least as fast, I'll return this and be out less cash. I'd also be short a 5 GHz radio but the thought of it going out before my return period and having to deal with warranty service is painful. I'd have to relocate the handful of 5 GHz N devices I have to another segment but that would be worth it if I manage to get better overall throughput from the the new hardware.

I've just replaced my RTAC68U with a AC5300 and found the 2.4 Ghz very bad. The first image was taken with a WiFi analyser on my S7 Edge this morning with my AC68U connected

2lt6bt2.png

The 2nd image was taken after installing the AC5300 from the same place in the room and it has dropped from 104mbps to 7mbps

1xx5xs.png

When I go onto speedtest on the 5G2 I get full 75/17
on the 2.4 I get 3.4/2

I've updated the firmware to 380-4180 straight away, does the router need to be defaulted again and re configured.