What's new

Asus RT-ac56u SMB permissions bug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abescalamis

Regular Contributor
do you guys know how can I tell asus about this?

I notice that the RT-AC56U has some problems with the samba permissions and I believe this is a bug in the Asus firmware.

The hard drive is formatted to Ext4 and is always plugged to the router.

I did some tests and I couldn't locate the problem.

(Windows PC) When moving some files over SMB within the same hard drive the router locks some of the files being unable to delete them or move them,

(linux PC) When I access the hard drive over SMB, I can move those files but it shows a lock symbol in those files.

Finally I plugged the Hard Drive directly to the Linux PC to compare the permissions, and they are the same as to the unlock files.

This happens to 10 out of 500 files that I move.

Make sure it's not your antivirus software locking the files as it scans them. I have seen Windows antivirus software do similar things when accessing files over a network. With a slower remote storage such as a USB disk plugged to a router, that lock can take a while before the security software is done checking the file.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!