What's new

Asus RT-AC68U: 10 reboots in last day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Furant

New Around Here
Hi,
Over the past month, my router has been rebooting at seemingly unpredictable times. I upgraded to 384.13 and even did a factory reset and tried to reapply basic settings. However, the reboots continue and, according to the attached system log, seem to occur after a client makes a DHCP request.

It's pretty clear in the syslog to see where the reboot occurs as the system clock is temporarily reset to May 5 01:05:00 after the reboot.

I noticed the router temps are hanging out around: 2.4GHz=60C, 5GHz=62C, CPU=88C. Could that be causing an issue?

I'd welcome other ideas!

Thanks!

https://pastebin.com/embed_iframe/yk2CmHhk

Last edited:
There's nothing unusual in the log (apart from the spontaneous reboots). The radio temperatures look slightly higher than normal but not excessively so. What is the ambient temperature of the room? Is there adequate ventilation around the router?

Check the power supply, leads and plugs. Make sure they are all securely fitted and not damaged.

Hi,
Over the past month, my router has been rebooting at seemingly unpredictable times. I upgraded to 384.13 and even did a factory reset and tried to reapply basic settings. However, the reboots continue and, according to the attached system log, seem to occur after a client makes a DHCP request.

It's pretty clear in the syslog to see where the reboot occurs as the system clock is temporarily reset to May 5 01:05:00 after the reboot.

I noticed the router temps are hanging out around: 2.4GHz=60C, 5GHz=62C, CPU=88C. Could that be causing an issue?

I'd welcome other ideas!

Thanks!

https://pastebin.com/embed_iframe/yk2CmHhk

have you gotten a new android phone by any chance or updated your android OS?

Try a new power supply as a last resort before retiring the router. Just checking the output of your current supply with a voltmeter isn't enough. Bad supplies will show 19 volts but not produce enough power for reliable router operations.

Thank you all for your input. It's crazy but it's uptime now is one day and one hour so just posting here must've scared it into behaving

I'll definitely double check the power supply and the UPS it's plugged into. I may even have a matching power supply that I can try.

And yes, I got a new Android about two months ago. Could that possibly have anything to do with it?

I did look around at the Android issue. I'm not sure that's it but I've turned off my wifi on my phone for a while to see if it has any impact.

Thanks again.

I did look around at the Android issue. I'm not sure that's it but I've turned off my wifi on my phone for a while to see if it has any impact.

Thanks again.
the issue was reported mainly with Android Oreo/Pie one Pixel/OnePlus phones with the Asus 66 models, with some reports on 68s. Disabling NAT Acceleration seems to solve it so far here.

I did disable NAT acceleration and I made sure all of the power cables are well seated and my current uptime is 5 days and 5 hours, so I'm guessing that addressed it :). Thanks again for your quick responses and helping to make sure there weren't any gremlins in the system log.

My ASUS RT-AC66U was plaguing me with random, sporadic rebooting for the longest time. After disabling NAT Acceleration, I'm happy to report that my router is now as solid as Oprah on a big rock.
2019-09-24   16-05-25.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!