What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U boot loop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

prestige29

New Around Here
Hey friends...I think this is a boot loop anyway.

I received an Asus RT-AC68U router that wasn't working correctly, and I was hoping I could fix it. It was a huge pain, but I was able to get into the mini-CFE page and upload Asus firmware.

Anyway, this router will not complete a boot up, even with the WPS nvram reset. The power light turns blue for a while, and most the lights will flash eventually. At the point where the two wifi lights would come on, it starts the boot process over.

It never completes the boot up process. Any thoughts or suggestions?
thanks

did you try asus restauration tool too?
has cfe been changed by your friend (like edited cpu/ram frequencies)?

did you try asus restauration tool too?
has cfe been changed by your friend (like edited cpu/ram frequencies)?

I picked it up on Ebay for a good price (for parts), so I don't know. The seller claimed that it couldn't be seen on the network. When I got my hands on it, I did a NVRAM reset and it seemed two work great. I could see the default SSIDs on my network. I connected to them, added passwords and so on. When I got into the GUI, I saw that it was running Merlin 380.xxxx of some sort.

After a ten minutes or so, the SSIDs did in fact drop out of my network. I thought maybe this was a firmware issue, so I flashed the Asus firmware provided by Bay Area Tech Pros TMAC1900 flashing instructions. That was a PIA because the mini-CFE page kept timing out in the middle of my upload. Finally uploaded though. I immediately did the NVRAM reset, and it the boot loop issue started. It will not boot up to the wifi LEDS after numerous attempts.

Should I part this out, or should pick up and serial cord and get my feet wet....first time for everything!

I see, so everything possible, but think its hardware, otherwise he wouldn't have sold it as defective.

Try to use other power adapter to sort out bad supply (happens sometimes).

Last edited:
TBH it sounds like a hardware fault. FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx is pretty ancient, if you can get the router into recovery mode I'd suggest you flash something like Merlin's 380.70. If you can't get it into recovery mode it's probably not worth spending much time and effort on IMHO.

You guys inspired me to keep trying. I flashed it with a newer Asus Firmware, and it completed the boot...wifi lights and all! I'm attempting to add it as a node right now so I can babysit it for a few weeks to see if everything stays intact.
thanks again

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!