What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4422

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Been running the new firmware since it came out on the 13th has been rock solid and all ports show stealth no problems here .

Anyone that is running this firmware should run a port scan to see if port 445 is accidentally open.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Just so you know, Asus properly fixed it after 4422 (they thought they had fixed it in 4422, but there was a slight error in the code). I can confirm that the latest build they sent me does properly resolve this issue.

That new build should be on their support site really soon now.

Just so you know, Asus properly fixed it after 4422 (they thought they had fixed it in 4422, but there was a slight error in the code). I can confirm that the latest build they sent me does properly resolve this issue.

Yes I understand that. But there's bound to be quite a few people that don't understand that it's not fixed at the present moment. (Especially when the release notes imply that it's fixed).

I've seen a couple posts where people still don't understand how they ended up on that long list of IP's that were hacked. It's probably not good if they don't understand how it happened. It probably means they need to familiarize themselves with their router (especially the server center). I understand how it happened. But it doesn't do them any good if I understand how it happened. ;)

Last edited:
Yes I understand that. But there's bound to be quite a few people that don't understand that it's not fixed at the present moment.

I know. Just relaying the information that it was definitely fixed after that.

Is it going to be days or weeks before we see the new firmware released by Asus. I know you can't say the exact date but from your previous experience can you provide a rough guesstimate ?

Is it going to be days or weeks before we see the new firmware released by Asus. I know you can't say the exact date but from your previous experience can you provide a rough guesstimate ?

Come on guys! Give RMerlin a break.

How would he know what Asus will do? :confused:

Days. As I mentioned before, they were already planning a FW release for this week, so unless they ran into last minute issues, I'd expect it to be out before the end of the week (unsure for which specific model).

wow, so its not safe to be using 3.0.0.4.374_371 ?

wow, so its not safe to be using 3.0.0.4.374_371 ?

It's relatively safe if you disable both FTP and AiCloud.

It's relatively safe if you disable both FTP and AiCloud.

Yeah, mine is open then. I have a 3tb HD i need access to using AI cloud. Which firmware can i use that is stable?

Yeah, mine is open then. I have a 3tb HD i need access to using AI cloud. Which firmware can i use that is stable?

Quite frankly at this point, none of them. All the past few versions came with their own share of fixes and different issues.

You can try 374_4561 and see if it's stable for you. While it's stable for many users, there are quite a few who are experiencing frequent random reboots with it. Otherwise, go with the 374.40-alpha4 build of my firmware.

Quite frankly at this point, none of them. All the past few versions came with their own share of fixes and different issues.

You can try 374_4561 and see if it's stable for you. While it's stable for many users, there are quite a few who are experiencing frequent random reboots with it. Otherwise, go with the 374.40-alpha4 build of my firmware.

Will do! Thank you!!

374-4561 keeps hanging

I'm finding it difficult to adjust settings. Updated firmware, did reset and then started to enter settings. I'm finding myself locked on pages and having to close the browser and then log on again. Settings are stored but rather tedious to set everything. Tried with Firefox and Chrome (seems better)

4561 is absolutely terrible for me. Constant reboots. Time to give Merlin a try. If this continues much longer I'll be seeking a refund.

Or, seek what is causing the reboots in your setup.

Today's consumer routers and 'home' setups are complex enough that this process is necessary almost no matter what brand you buy.

Even if a certain brand shows no issues today; does not mean that issues won't be discovered in the future.

A network is complex enough to warrant digging into the details and at least knowing or finding out how they interact with all the different equipment and tasks we require of them.

Hoping for a simple off the shelf solution with even slightly elevated needs beyond basic internet (wired and wireless) is a little naïve.

Or, seek what is causing the reboots in your setup.

Today's consumer routers and 'home' setups are complex enough that this process is necessary almost no matter what brand you buy.

Even if a certain brand shows no issues today; does not mean that issues won't be discovered in the future.

A network is complex enough to warrant digging into the details and at least knowing or finding out how they interact with all the different equipment and tasks we require of them.

Hoping for a simple off the shelf solution with even slightly elevated needs beyond basic internet (wired and wireless) is a little naïve.

What you say may be true however people just want a stable router that works. I can't understand why Asus is not making this there top priority. Seems for some folks there is no stable version of firmware for the 68u and that's a shame for a $200.00 flagship router. Just my 2 cents... :(

Judging by the flurry of new firmware being release; I would say it is their top priority.

We all have our own perception of reality though.

There are plenty of available versions that are stable depending on the specific setup each one of us is running.

Does one firmware cover all situations? No, not at this time for all people.

But I have no doubt this is being worked on as we speak by great minds like RMerlin doing what he can and Asus/Broadcom engineers doing the rest.

I can't ask for anything more?

And I can't believe either Asus or Broadcom has any hidden agenda to make us suffer needlessly.

If anybody needs the best right now; going through the growing pains is part of the process.

I also don't know of any other router that doesn't have some issue in the many customer installations I have completed that couldn't be improved upon (with a 'simple' firmware upgrade), but have been completely abandoned by those manufacturers instead.

Sure; we all want something like a WRT54G that was bulletproof a decade ago.

But the wireless landscape and our network expectation and usage patterns have changed tremendously since then.

6+ days without any real problems except a bit weaker signal and its dropping the Ipad2 eventually. Going back to merlin 39_2.

5 GHZ SSID Won't Broadcast - Can't Connect

Greetings.

I am hoping someone can help me. I seem to be having the same problem as others have reported in this thread. I don't understand how it was resolved (if it was).

I just bought this router yesterday (7/6/2014). Installation and set-up went easily, as described/expected. I set up one SSID for the 2.4 GHz and a different one for the 5 GHz SSID. One big problem: none of my devices can see the 5GHz SSID and I cannot manually connect with any devices (with one exception). I have 2 Xbox 360s, an IPhone 4s (work), an LG VS9 4G (older personnel cell phone), and a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (the one exception - more about that in a minute).

I have the LED indicator solid blue, I seem to have the set-up correct (not hiding SSID, etc.). I contacted ASUS via web (email), an I received a response within a few hours. (Kudos to ASUS for that!) Instructed to change the Channel Bandwidth to 20 MHz for the 2.4 GHz and 40 MHz for the 5 GHz (which I did), and if that did not work (it did not), then do a hard reset - which I did. Reset things up. Still no luck.

About the one exception. At first the Samsung Note did not identify/connect with 5 GHz. At one point in the wee hours of the morning I managed to connect it. I honestly do not remember if the device "found" the SSID or if I just tried to set it up manually. In any event, this device now connects to the 5 GHz, even when I leave home and come back later - it picks it right up. This lone device remains connected, even after the hard reset and setting the router up again. I still cannot connect any other device. I am really interested in getting the Xbox's on this frequency....this is why I forked out the $$$$ for this router!

Can anyone help? I sent a follow-up message to ASUS tonight...but I am impatient and not confident I will get a solution any time soon. I really do not want to return this and start over.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!