What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why go through all the reboot headaches just flash Merlin 39 or 40alpha4 no more reboots.

New user of RT-AC68U
- upgraded during installation to 4561

pretty regular random reboot, 6-10 a day which was distressing
(old netgear router never crashed, upgraded to this for the range)

downgraded to .583 worked without reboot for 4 days
- but then network became ridiculously slow
- had to reboot to fix that ... now fast again

seems like huge step backward from my old functioning router
- considering going back until some new firmware is usable on this device

Sounds exactly like my experience. Back in the old days, cheap wireless routers used to get really slow after a while and require a reboot. I honestly thought those days were over but apparently not.

I'm giving Asus one more chance but if their next firmware has issues, it's refund time. These RT-AC68Us shouldn't have made it past internal testing in their current state.

Don't know if my experience can help with the AC68U rebooting issue.
My main computer computer has a wired connection to the ac68u in addition to that there are two galaxy SII and two Galaxy S4 smartphones wireless connected plus a notebook with an intel centrino 5100 and another one with an intel centrino 5300 card. A galaxy Note 10.1 is also often connected to my network. An additional notebook wireless connected and a second wired desktop were not used during my testing period.
I normally use Linux (Rosa Fresh X64) from my main desktop and, after installing Merlin's Build 40_Beta 1`, I too experienced 3 to 4 rebootings a day (at least one during the night, with at least my desktop disconnected). After 4 days I had to use windows 8.1 from my desktop and I got 5 or 6 reboots in half an hour: to work I had to go back to build Alfa 4 that seems to solve the problem.
If my experience has any meaning, I guess that the problem can be generated in the protocol handling area, something that I don't know if has been modified in the last two Asus build.
I would like to report even the hardware revision of my AC 68U, but I don't want to damage the warranty sticker. What I can say is that, even if overclocked to 1000,800 the CPU temperature stays at 72-73 celsius degrees (something that may either indicate a defective sensor or a newer hardware revision).
Last, I have an usb 3 1TB disk attached to the router that runs transmission installed through entware. All the additional configuration modification needed to have transmission work, such as dns mask, swap partition and fine-tuning were added to the transmission start-up script.

AFter 5 days of uptime, today my RT-AC68U rebooted on it's own. FW 3.0.0.4.374.4561 How did I know?

I keep the LEDS off and after reboot they turn on again.

ASUS are you listening? I have dropped huge cash on this and if stability is not fixed in few months, its bye bye to ASUS. :mad:

Surprising how each subsequent update is making RT-AC68U worse and worse.

I am not loading any 3rd party firmware yet.

Last edited:
AFter 5 days of uptime, today my RT-AC68U rebooted on it's own. FW 3.0.0.4.374.4561 How did I know?

I keep the LEDS off and after reboot they turn on again.

ASUS are you listening? I have dropped huge cash on this and if stability is not fixed in few months, its bye bye to ASUS. :mad:

Surprising how each subsequent update is making RT-AC68U worse and worse.

I am not loading any 3rd party firmware yet.

You must see the systemlog time by time to ensure if your router reboot or not.

Gửi từ SM-N900 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

I don't know what the above two posts are meant to achieve.

Asus will fix what it can when it can.

Threats from two unknown/random users will not suddenly get them in gear...

I'm also not too sure that both posts are possibly from the same user either (IP address will tell).

Or that sanke1 is not a spam-bot either.

I agree with L&LD, with the exception of the one guy who can possibly catch useful information about the reboot using the TTL to USB cable, I guarantee nothing anyone is posting here is helping much of anything, except making the person posting feel better after venting.

I have no doubt Asus is working as hard and as fast as they can to solve this issue. This is their flagship networking product. I doubt they like that this firmware version is causing trouble less than absolutely anyone else. Unusual bugs in complex systems can sometimes be very nebulous and difficult to squash. I have no doubt it will be fixed, just have patience.

Asus is still way ahead of the last Linksys product I had. Flagship product, major, major software and hardware issues, and Linksys never did a damn thing about any of it.

Last edited:
I agree with L&LD, ........

I know ASUS is actively working to fix the issues with RT-AC68U. But they fix one and create another. :p

I am not a spam bot. LMAO Just venting my frustration. I had a huge fight with my ISP where I defended my ASUS router and ultimately it was both my ISP as well as this RT-AC68U who were responsible for disconnections. :(

Merlin on your build RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.40_beta1 Regulation mode is not working anymore, choosing 802.11d it reverts itself back to OFF.

I had a few reports about this, but I am unable to reproduce it here, and can't see any technical reason why a specific setting would randomly fail to get saved to nvram. I suspect it could be a browser-related issue.

EDIT: seems like it's playing tricks on me. It stays on 802.11d, until I leave the page and go back to it, at which point it's indeed back to disabled. Odd.

EDIT2: Even curiouser. If I check nvram right after saving settings, it's set to "d". 5 secs later if I check again, it got reverted back to "off". As if something was overriding the setting...
Code:
admin@stargate4:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl0_reg_mode
d
admin@stargate4:/tmp/home/root# service restart_wireless

Done.
admin@stargate4:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl0_reg_mode
off

EDIT3: Found it. Some code that Asus had disabled in previous FWs got enabled in 4422 which will automatically set reg_mode for EU users, and clear it for everyone else. That would occur only a few seconds after you applied the webui settings, which was why it wasn't visible for me. Should be an easy fix.

Last edited:
I'm starting to detect more and more of a trend here, so just to confirm it, I'll ask again:

Anyone experiencing frequent random reboots who does NOT have an Apple product?

It's starting to look like the issue mostly happens to people using Apple products (mainly iPads and iPhones). If that's the case, then that could be a hint to pass to Asus in their attempts to reproduce the issue. I'm sure someone in their R&D department will have access to an iPhone or an iPad to test it.

I'm starting to detect more and more of a trend here, so just to confirm it, I'll ask again:

Anyone experiencing frequent random reboots who does NOT have an Apple product?

It's starting to look like the issue mostly happens to people using Apple products (mainly iPads and iPhones). If that's the case, then that could be a hint to pass to Asus in their attempts to reproduce the issue. I'm sure someone in their R&D department will have access to an iPhone or an iPad to test it.

There is at least one user that claimed his router rebooted and he specifically said he doesn't own an Apple product. I know I've seen one post confirming the above.....he posted in this thread. Can't check right now since I'm on my phone but I'll do it later if you can't find the specific post

Edit: found it....post 363 in this thread. You want to pm him to provide you the log or to find what devices connect to his router. He might have a different problem than all the apple users
Also if I can suggest you, start a temporary stickie where you ask users to post ONLY if they experience reboots while no Apple devices connected to the router

Last edited:
There is at least one user that claimed his router rebooted and he specifically said he doesn't own an Apple product. I know I've seen one post confirming the above.....he posted in this thread. Can't check right now since I'm on my phone but I'll do it later if you can't find the specific post

Edit: found it....post 363 in this thread. You want to pm him to provide you the log or to find what devices connect to his router. He might have a different problem than all the apple users
Also if I can suggest you, start a temporary stickie where you ask users to post ONLY if they experience reboots while no Apple devices connected to the router

I know for a fact that it's not strictly triggered by Apple devices (I've had two reboots myself in two weeks, and I have no Apple products here), just wondering if people with a LOT of reboots were all using Apple products.

Merlin,
I am using a iPhone4 with iOS6.1.3 and experiencing random reboots.

I know for a fact that it's not strictly triggered by Apple devices (I've had two reboots myself in two weeks, and I have no Apple products here), just wondering if people with a LOT of reboots were all using Apple products.

As mentioned earlier, I can tie mine down to specifically my iPhone. If I have low wireless strength and try to do something bandwidth intensive the router reboots. This is true of Merlin's beta firmware as well.

Having just chatted to my ISP, the router is disconnecting 40-50 times a day. I've gone back to 3.0.0.4.374_4422 to see if that is any better.

As described in my post (#383) I had few reboots until I used linux on my wired connected desktop, but many as soon as I switched to Windows. Only android devices here.

I don't know what the above two posts are meant to achieve.

Asus will fix what it can when it can.

Threats from two unknown/random users will not suddenly get them in gear...

I disagree. When the customers sit back and say nothing, companies assume everything is fine (or not a big deal) and don't do jack. It's obvious that Asus ignore their own forum for anyone that's spent any time there. Venting and letting companies know that putting out shonky products is NOT OK is a legitimate course of action.

That doesn't mean ranting and raving is OK but customers have to be firm and let the company know when they are highly dissatisfied. You might call it a threat when a customer says that they will take their business elsewhere but it's typically the only leverage a consumer has.

I confirm that I have latest fw on my rt-ac68u several apple devices and only one android device. Also when my android device is powered off the router reboot a lot of times per day.

Since I've installed Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4_374.39_0 this problem is gone away!!!

By the way I can try also the latest beta version(4_374.40_beta1) or do you suggest me to wait until it is more stable ?

Thank you very much

hjogi

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!