What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I definitely say that Apple hardware is a big player is this crazy game....not saying its the main cause, but certainly a big player.

I don't think it's just Apple. Similar things happen to me when I connect my Dell Win8.1 tablet via wireless N.

This is baffling. I installed the 40 beta 1 firmware and I had two reboots in the first couple of hours. After that, I now have 3.5 days of uptime and not a single problem. I'm not doing anything different. Maybe my neighbors had Apple hardware...they're on holiday this week. :confused:

Last edited:
I've never heard of someone over clocking the CPU that high!!!:eek:

What's your CPU Temp running at?

After some changes on the heatsink and thermal pads i was able to get it working at 60-68º.

Previous temps were 75-83º

I don't think it's just Apple. Similar things happen to me when I connect my Dell Win8.1 tablet via wireless N.

This is baffling. I installed the 40 beta 1 firmware and I had two reboots in the first couple of hours. After that, I now have 3.5 days of uptime and not a single problem. I'm not doing anything different. Maybe my neighbors had Apple hardware...they're on holiday this week. :confused:

No it's not just Apple. I think it was just easier to reproduce the problem with apple products. Someone said asus was having a hard time reproducing the problem. I think it was suggested for someone to call asus and tell them to use iPhone/ipad so they can quickly reproduce problem. More of a time saving thing to hopefully help them expedite their bug fix.

I have 3 apple products and use n66u. I've never had a single reboot or any problem on any firmware. Obviously a pretty severe Asus bug on RT-AC68 (and AC56).

I don't use any Apple products and have an N66W and I've been seeing reboots with .4561 firmware. It seemed to start happening after I enabled IPv6 (on Comcast) and started seeing the system log flooded with "kernel: Neighbour table overflow" messages. Turned off IPv6 and we'll see if the reboots continue.

I faced a similar issue yesterday. I traced it back to my PPTP configuration. The password I had set for the PPTP account had 14 characters, when it was 8 characters for the old password prior to the frequent reboots. Using a 10 character (alphanumeric) password prevented an hourly reboot from happening.

So far, over 8 hours uptime. :)

I faced a similar issue yesterday. I traced it back to my PPTP configuration. The password I had set for the PPTP account had 14 characters, when it was 8 characters for the old password prior to the frequent reboots. Using a 10 character (alphanumeric) password prevented an hourly reboot from happening.

:| Really!!!???

Gửi từ SM-N900 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

after installing firmware 3.0.0.4.374.4561 my rt-ac68u randomly reboots when trying to print from my wireless printer with not all the information being sent leaving it to hang and then reboot.

I do have a usb 3.0 hard drive fitted that worked fine after this firmware install, however I have reverted back to 3.0.0.4.374.583 to stop the reboots as I can live without my network hard drive for the time being.

using a smartphone sometimes reboots the router also, although as it used by numerous people within our household its hard to pin point why it reboots that's separate from the printing reboot.:(

Any apple devices on your network?
Asus really dropped the ball with this firmware.

From what I've read about these reboot issues, this isn't merlin's issue he introduced and something Asus did. The only way this is going to get fixed is if more and more of us start reporting the bug to Asus.

From what I can see, this was introduced in (Asus) version 3.0.0.4.374.4422 and is still prevalent in 3.0.0.4.374.4561. After I downgraded to version 3.0.0.4.374.583, the reboot issue went away.

A thread specific to this issue has been noted here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=15502

Here's my latest correspondence with Asus:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:<TSD> Wireless RT-AC68U [ID=RWTM2014030418156303-387]

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is Joe and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Thank you for your feedback. Now I will help you update the issue to my supervior. And we will check if there is the bug in it. If it is turly a bug, we will fix it in the new firmware in the near future. Thank you.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
Joe
ASUS Product Support Team

---------- Original Message ----------
Sent : 2014/3/3 17:08:20
To : "techsupport@asus.com"
Subject : Re:Re:Re:Re:<TSD> Wireless RT-AC68U [ID=RWTM20140228723556105-740]

[CASEID=WTM2014030418156303]

Hi Joe,

Please note that I am NOT the only one having this issue. Please see this thread:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/sh...ad.php?t=15502

Just to let you know, the "reboot issue" started happening on versions:
3.0.0.4.374.4561 AND 3.0.0.4.374.4422.

I''ve downgraded to firmware 3.0.0.4.374.583 and the rebooting issue STOPPED.

There seems to be a problem with the TWO firmwares I''ve noted. Please advise...

Merlin has direct interaction with Asus. Asus already know they have this bug. The problem is they cannot reproduce it and until they do, they cannot fix it. So while you absolutely should report it, the lack of an immediate fix is not because Asus don't know they have a problem.

Merlin has direct interaction with Asus. Asus already know they have this bug. The problem is they cannot reproduce it and until they do, they cannot fix it. So while you absolutely should report it, the lack of an immediate fix is not because Asus don't know they have a problem.

Good to know, thanks for the additional information.

This firmware is a big f up

reverted back to 3.0.0.4.374_583

7 days 5 hours 14 minutes 27 uptime with no reboots.

Waiting for a fix

Reverted back to 3.0.0.4.374_583

I'm new the forum. However, after reading the lengthy thread and continuing to have the same problem I reverted back to 583 because it stable now. I was having reboots every 2 to 3 hours. Now going strong for 15 hours. I'll keep my finger crossed.

I'm new the forum. However, after reading the lengthy thread and continuing to have the same problem I reverted back to 583 because it stable now. I was having reboots every 2 to 3 hours. Now going strong for 15 hours. I'll keep my finger crossed.

It's so frustrating because the new firmwares introduced the extra frequencies for the 5GHz range. I have a pair of cordless headphones (Sony) that work on 5GHz at the same channels as the original EU frequencies for WiFi (46-52). I was getting interference issues. But when the channels like 100 opened up, I was finally able to separate the two cleanly.....reverting to 583 means I lose the new frequencies again :(

Last edited:
I've got over 12 days uptime on this firmware. I have an iPad that never gets out of wifi range and when it does it's sleeping on LTE. A WP8 device and a couple android devices. A hand full of other devices and 2 laptops, one a MacBook pro. I've disabled everything I could when I originally configured it. Other than listing all my exact settings I don't what else I can tell everyone.

Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

I am wondering if UPNP is causing the reboots. I ended up turning it off and then power cycling the router and have been up for a few days now. I noticed that when I connected my Xbox 360 slim to wifi, the router reset during the network test. It happened the few times I tried it. After turning off UPNP, I waited till last night and ran the network test and had no problems whatsoever. I have over 20 devices connected to wifi and lots of Apple hardware. Will be curious to check the logs when I get home tonight. We have a babysitter who uses the guest wifi and the resets also occurred the last time her two devices connected, so we will see at the end of the day.

I am wondering if UPNP is causing the reboots. I ended up turning it off and then power cycling the router and have been up for a few days now. I noticed that when I connected my Xbox 360 slim to wifi, the router reset during the network test. It happened the few times I tried it. After turning off UPNP, I waited till last night and ran the network test and had no problems whatsoever. I have over 20 devices connected to wifi and lots of Apple hardware. Will be curious to check the logs when I get home tonight. We have a babysitter who uses the guest wifi and the resets also occurred the last time her two devices connected, so we will see at the end of the day.

In the thread about reboots on _4422, there was a log posted. The following was the last entry in their log before the reboot:

Feb 14 23:53:28 miniupnpd[642]: sendto(udp): Operation not permitted

It looks like the UPNP daemon took an error just before rebooting.

QOS Disabled
UPNP Disabled
Parental Control Off
DLNA & iTunes Server Off
Samba Share Disabled
FTP Share Disabled
AICloud and Smart Sync Off
WPS Off
MAC Filter Off
Wireless Scheduler Off in the advanced settings for both 5 and 2.4 GHz networks
Custom DHCP Range, DNS server configured as 8.8.8.8
Routing turned off
NAT Acceleration turned on
Dual WAN Disabled
WAN DNS Servers are configured to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I have 6 port forwards
DMZ turned off
DDNS not used
No VPN
Firewall is set to default settings

In the thread about reboots on _4422, there was a log posted. The following was the last entry in their log before the reboot:

Feb 14 23:53:28 miniupnpd[642]: sendto(udp): Operation not permitted

It looks like the UPNP daemon took an error just before rebooting.

I saw UPNP log entries right before the reboot. I cleared my logs this morning before I left for work, so I will be curious to see how things look when I get home. The xbox appeared to be consistent in taking it down (especially after running a network test, it would report problems and bam... router reboot). I only noticed one other app (Skype) that was utilizing UPNP, but that didn't appear to be causing reboots.

I saw UPNP log entries right before the reboot. I cleared my logs this morning before I left for work, so I will be curious to see how things look when I get home. The xbox appeared to be consistent in taking it down (especially after running a network test, it would report problems and bam... router reboot). I only noticed one other app (Skype) that was utilizing UPNP, but that didn't appear to be causing reboots.

It slowed my reboots down did not stop them completly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!