What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is the community of users here more likely to be using the advanced features of the the switch, using capabilities that average joe user might not need nor use, and thus more likely to experience the issue.
Nope, I've actually disabled all advanced features (DLNA, FTP...) and it still reboots. Also when it comes to "average joe", we need to remember that issue is restarting, it will take 30sec-1min but after that everything works. Average Joe is used that technology might not always work so therefore he doesn't "see" constant rebooting as an issue.

ASUS should put more resources fixing this, it doesn't really help seeing NETGEAR keeps releasing new firmware for their R7000, like latest on 17th March 2014.

Nope, I've actually disabled all advanced features (DLNA, FTP...) and it still reboots. Also when it comes to "average joe", we need to remember that issue is restarting, it will take 30sec-1min but after that everything works. Average Joe is used that technology might not always work so therefore he doesn't "see" constant rebooting as an issue.

ASUS should put more resources fixing this, it doesn't really help seeing NETGEAR keeps releasing new firmware for their R7000, like latest on 17th March 2014.

@everyone

If you and others who constantly spam these forums about the random reboot issue used the search function you would have found RMerlin's post from around a week ago mentioning that Asus is aware of the problem and hope to release a new firmware within 2 weeks. Complaining to users who have nothing to-do with Asus is very counter productive.

Very frustrating answering the same question 20 times as no-one bothers to take 5 seconds to use the search function

/rant :cool:

@everyone

If you and others who constantly spam these forums about the random reboot issue used the search function you would have found RMerlin's post from around a week ago mentioning that Asus is aware of the problem and hope to release a new firmware within 2 weeks. Complaining to users who have nothing to-do with Asus is very counter productive.

Very frustrating answering the same question 20 times as no-one bothers to take 5 seconds to use the search function

/rant :cool:

Hmm, I fail to see how my post was complaining? Nick "Preskitt.man" thought issues would be related to advanced features of router and I replied it isn't related to those and told my experience.

And wouldn't you say people have "right" to complain? RT-AC68U definitely isn't the cheapest router on the market. Normally there is saying "you get what you pay for", I can get routers ~30 EUR in local PC market, for Asus I spent ~200 EUR.

I thought this thread is specifically to discuss about latest firmware (hence, the subject) and for me it is strange people couldn't ventilate even though they have the reason.

Asus messed up this, end of story - people here want some "support" from others who face the same. This is in my opinion far better than sending routers back?

Hmm, I fail to see how my post was complaining? Nick "Preskitt.man" thought issues would be related to advanced features of router and I replied it isn't related to those and told my experience.

And wouldn't you say people have "right" to complain? RT-AC68U definitely isn't the cheapest router on the market. Normally there is saying "you get what you pay for", I can get routers ~30 EUR in local PC market, for Asus I spent ~200 EUR.

I thought this thread is specifically to discuss about latest firmware (hence, the subject) and for me it is strange people couldn't ventilate even though they have the reason.

Asus messed up this, end of story - people here want some "support" from others who face the same. This is in my opinion far better than sending routers back?

I understand its annoying, I am using the same router as everyone else. Its just there's no need to have 118 different discussions about the same issue where half of it is just complaining. I think its pretty clear that if anyone is experiences this issue, go back to .39 (beta 3 for rmerlins) or wait for a fix in the next week or so. Asus are aware are doing everything they can to fix the issue and all we can do is wait.

Also my last post wasn't directed at anyone in particular I just happened to quote your comment as it was the most recent :p

I understand its annoying, I am using the same router as everyone else. Its just there's no need to have 118 different discussions about the same issue where half of it is just complaining. I think its pretty clear that if anyone is experiences this issue, go back to .39 (beta 3 for rmerlins) or wait for a fix in the next week or so. Asus are aware are doing everything they can to fix the issue and all we can do is wait.

Also my last post wasn't directed at anyone in particular I just happened to quote your comment as it was the most recent :p

Expecting people (especially newbies) to actually use the search feature:eek:.....ROFL! Ain't gotta time or the smarts for that...:p

Stop reboots

Set 5GHz wireless mode to "N+AC" and channel bandwidth to "80MHz"

Set 2.4GHz wireless mode to "N" only and channel bandwidth to "40MHz"

Obviously this won't help the people who need B or G and also have wireless cards that can't connect at the highest channel bandwidth, but this stopped my constant reboots with the current firmware.

Set 5GHz wireless mode to "N+AC" and channel bandwidth to "80MHz"

Set 2.4GHz wireless mode to "N" only and channel bandwidth to "40MHz"

Obviously this won't help the people who need B or G and also have wireless cards that can't connect at the highest channel bandwidth, but this stopped my constant reboots with the current firmware.

I wouldn't set 2.4ghz to 40mhz. I doubt that caused reboots. I hate that oem of my neighbours set their 2.4 ghz radio to 40mhz.

I wouldn't set 2.4ghz to 40mhz. I doubt that caused reboots. I hate that oem of my neighbours set their 2.4 ghz radio to 40mhz.

Try it and you'll see it stops the reboots. I'm in an isolated area, only wifi signal around is mine.

I have a feeling a new firmware is coming soon. My source is a guy that posted in this forum saying Asus tech support told him a new firmware should be available " immediately ". Hopefully next week...one can only wish. Owner of 3 x Asus ac68u but using a netgear router because of buggy Asus firmware

I tried to get it working but have given up

As someone new to “having” to learn how to mess about with poor routers I must admit I have given up and gone back to my old Netgeare.
There were three main resins, one the inability to get things to work with my WHS2011 server. It was working at one time (at least accessible from my local network) I have no idea why, but then wasn’t.

After adding the port forwarding they were wide open on shields up test.
No matter what I did I couldn’t stealth them, something the cheap Netgare did itself.
Next WHS2011 couldn’t be persuaded to work through the router, again no problem with the Netgear.
I didn’t have the thing running long enough to find rebooting a problem but had seen about that and had the Marlin 739.40 stable alpha installed. No the last issue was the good old port 445. I say good old but in many years with many different routers all have not had this found on port testing. That’s cheap routers from ISP, through many Belkin, Netgear and a Billion.
Many have said the problem is there is too much expected/provided with such routers, I agree as the basics don’t work. I spent a day, gave up and may try again when the current poor firmware is replaced. But is it the current firmware or more that caused my problems and I know my inexperience didn’t help but this is an expensive product claiming easy to set up.
:(

Last edited:
Try it and you'll see it stops the reboots. I'm in an isolated area, only wifi signal around is mine.

Ok, if you are isolated its ok. I've been on 374.39 since it came out and have not experienced 1 reboot.
Uptime as writing this 2 days 12 hours. It's so short because I turned to off while flashing an rt-n66u hooked up to the same pc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
As someone new to “having” to learn how to mess about with poor routers I must admit I have given up and gone back to my old Netgeare.
There were three main resins, one the inability to get things to work with my WHS2011 server. It was working at one time (at least accessible from my local network) I have no idea why, but then wasn’t.

After adding the port forwarding they were wide open on shields up test.
No matter what I did I couldn’t stealth them, something the cheap Netgare did itself.
Next WHS2011 couldn’t be persuaded to work through the router, again no problem with the Netgear.

The WHS2011 port forward issues can be resolved with these shell commands:

Code:
nvram set upnp_min_port_ext=1
nvram set upnp_min_port_int=1
nvram commit
reboot

The reason for privileged ports not being forwardable by default through UPNP is security. You don't want any random software to open your internal web server or mail server through UPNP. Those commands tell miniupnp to accept forwarding privileged ports (ports below 1024) through UPNP.

I see you mention having used my firmware - those settings can be set through the web interface as well.

The Networkmap issue with WHS2011 has been fixed in my firmware with 374.40, and I sent the code patch to Asus. I expect it to be fixed in their next FW release.

How long till we get a new reliable firmware. It's been a month my router is rebooting randomly.

Only got this because of my previous excellent RT-N56U

Makes me wonder if my Next router will ever be Asus. :(

I don't think there's any point in trying to figure this out ourselves. If this issue was simple enough for us to determine the cause, Asus would already have the answer and a new firmware would be in our hands. The people in Asus's networking division are all professionals and this is what they do day in and out, anything we can think of, I guarantee they've already thought of and tested.

I don't think there's any point in trying to figure this out ourselves. If this issue was simple enough for us to determine the cause, Asus would already have the answer and a new firmware would be in our hands. The people in Asus's networking division are all professionals and this is what they do day in and out, anything we can think of, I guarantee they've already thought of and tested.

As of 2 weeks ago they were not able to duplicate the issue. People here and on ASUS website have been hollering for a month about reboots. People on here have been able to reproduce the problem and narrowed it down. So its a good point for people chatting here IMHO.

The WHS2011 port forward issues can be resolved with these shell commands:

Code:
nvram set upnp_min_port_ext=1
nvram set upnp_min_port_int=1
nvram commit
reboot

The reason for privileged ports not being forwardable by default through UPNP is security. You don't want any random software to open your internal web server or mail server through UPNP. Those commands tell miniupnp to accept forwarding privileged ports (ports below 1024) through UPNP.

I see you mention having used my firmware - those settings can be set through the web interface as well.

The Networkmap issue with WHS2011 has been fixed in my firmware with 374.40, and I sent the code patch to Asus. I expect it to be fixed in their next FW release.

Given the problems my sons idea is we use my working router for most things and the 688U for witless. Given the problems we will give that a go. But thanks for posting another way round the WHS2011 problem.
But it was the 374 I was using with WHS so I don't know what was going wrong

Last edited:
Given the problems my sons idea is we use my working router for most things and the 688U for witless. Given the problems we will give that a go. But thanks for posting another way round the WHS2011 problem.
But it was the 374 I was using with WHS so I don't know what was going wrong

That would work too, provided you don't need any of the additional services such as OpenVPN, and your WAN speed isn't faster than what the old router can handle.

That would work too, provided you don't need any of the additional services such as OpenVPN, and your WAN speed isn't faster than what the old router can handle.

No all I need is a router and Wi-Fi that has better speed/range than the Netgear. I have no need for the mass of extras on the AC68U. If only some one would produce a nice simple RELIABLE ac wirless device

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!