What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No all I need is a router and Wi-Fi that has better speed/range than the Netgear. I have no need for the mass of extras on the AC68U. If only some one would produce a nice simple RELIABLE ac wirless device

AC56U is very good to me. When the AC68U launched, I recall many posts here of folks having issues with that model for a while.

Also, my N56U with padavan firmware is rock solid...it is not AC, but is a very good router. Also, if you are looking for a cheap rock solid dual band router...look at the Cisco e3000, you can get one cheap off ebay and flash Tomato(i use Toastman builds) and that thing is rock solid.

I was the only one around on the wireless connection the other day and streaming a sports event on my Android phone. Everything was fine until I walked outside the house and reached a point where the signal dropped out. I went back in and immediately checked the log and sure enough the 68U had rebooted.

This seems to match the other reports from those who have monitored their signal strength while noticing reboots during streaming.

I was the only one around on the wireless connection the other day and streaming a sports event on my Android phone. Everything was fine until I walked outside the house and reached a point where the signal dropped out. I went back in and immediately checked the log and sure enough the 68U had rebooted.

This seems to match the other reports from those who have monitored their signal strength while noticing reboots during streaming.

I wonder what it is that is causing that....doesn't do that with the 56U...must be the hardware difference...2 stream vs 3 stream chips. I have never heard of a router rebooting when a client disconnects until these issues were reported......very weird.

I wonder what it is that is causing that....doesn't do that with the 56U...must be the hardware difference...2 stream vs 3 stream chips. I have never heard of a router rebooting when a client disconnects until these issues were reported......very weird.

They discovered the cause.

No, the issue is known to be in the SDK version Broadcom provided Asus with. Asus is expecting to get a newer version of the SDK from Broadcom, and will release a new firmware based on it when they're ready.

So it was a Broadcom issue and not ASUS :)

I guess the next ASUS RT-AC87U will not have Broadcom
..Yes it doesn't. It has Quantenna Chip.

Are there even any mini pci-e cards for laptops that support the new AC 1.7 gbps link speed yet? You're lucky to get laptops with 3 antennas, most are 2 stream setups....4 stream....won't see that included for a while.

That's why the next ASUS router doesn't use the Broadcom chipset most using that chip have had problems. Its their driver.

Does both the ac66u and ac68u use same Broadcom wireless chipset? Both products have same firmware version and I know the ac66u is running great on this version. Im sure there is little differences between the 2 but just curious.

Does both the ac66u and ac68u use same Broadcom wireless chipset? Both products have same firmware version and I know the ac66u is running great on this version. Im sure there is little differences between the 2 but just curious.

Completely different devices. They don't even use the same CPU architecture (one is MIPS, the other is ARM-based).

The firmware version number doesn't mean anything. Asus uses a unified firmware code, the code gets compiled relative to the target device.

You have to ask if they will replace defective products if the cor of this one can't be fixed. With our car it had recalls for less than the engine failing for defects to be fixed! Some makers have done major recalls for parts made by others that didn't work as they should.
My Dell laptop was upgraded by Dell when many of us pointed out the wifi card fitted didn't work as specified.

Completely different devices. They don't even use the same CPU architecture (one is MIPS, the other is ARM-based).

The firmware version number doesn't mean anything. Asus uses a unified firmware code, the code gets compiled relative to the target device.

Some of the info I found said they both used the BCM4360. Its confusing that both routers have the same firmware version now.

Some of the info I found said they both used the BCM4360.

Some components are identical, but not everything. The CPU is different, the Ethernet switch as well.

Its confusing that both routers have the same firmware version now.

As I said, uniform codebase. When you compile, you tell the build system for which router you are compiling, and it will enable/disable various section of code accordingly, it will use different wireless drivers, etc...

If you check, you will see that even their Ralink routers have the same version number now. Previously they tended to be different simply because they would release new firmware at different point in development. With 4561, everyone got updated at the same time due to the security issues that were addressed by it.

Running in AP-only mode, having an issue where after 5-10 minutes my mobile devices still indicate they are connected to the AC68U but there is no LAN or WAN access. If I then reboot the AC68U, the connection drops, and then the mobile devices wont reconnect to it ("Authentication Error")

In order to successfully re-establish connection I have to reboot the mobile device. All of my mobile devices used to work fine with my old Linksys router. I updated the AC68U firmware when I first got it, and I haven't yet tried downgrading, but from the logs the AC68U is not rebooting.

It seems to happen less frequently (but still occasionally happens) on 2.4Ghz versus 5Ghz.

I'm pulling my hair out here. Any ideas?

FW Beta 4887 is out!!!

Gửi từ iPhone 5s của tôi sử dụng Tapatalk

ASUS RT-AC68U Beta Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4887
Security related issues:
1. Fixed parameters buffer overflow vulnerability
2. Fixed XSS(Cross Site Scripting) vulnerability
3. Fixed CSRF(Cross Site Request Forgery) vulnerability
4. Added auto logout function. The timeout time can be configured in - Administration--> System
5. Included patches related to network map. Thanks for Merlin's contribution.

Others:
1. Enhanced the connection speed for Centrino 6300.
2. Modified the 3G/LTE dongle setting process in quick internet setup wizard.
3. Fixed some issues related to Samba.
4. Fixed the Cloud sync problem
5. Fixed Parental control check box UI issues.
6. Modified the FTP/ Samba permission setting UI
7. Modified media server setting UI
8. Dual wan fail over now support fail back

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_30043744887.zip

^^ No mention of reboot issue in change log

lol

I am downloading this and will report. Thanks :)

Edit: Installed and did a factory reset and entered my settings all over again. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
They ever going to support Iphones tethered to these routers?

When hurricane Sandy came through we lost all communication except cell service. Would have been handy to connect my phone to it and have wireless for everyone.

They ever going to support Iphones tethered to these routers?

When hurricane Sandy came through we lost all communication except cell service. Would have been handy to connect my phone to it and have wireless for everyone.

I don't use tethering via router...nor do I use Apple products much....but...

I think that is an Apple thing....not an Asus thing. Apple is extremely picky with how their stuff works and what it is compatible with.

You can have just used a tethering app on the phone to make a hotspot...if iphones do that....my android does it....lol...:cool:

Last edited:
I don't use tethering via router...nor do I use Apple products much....but...

I think that is an Apple thing....not an Asus thing. Apple is extremely picky with how their stuff works and what it is compatible with.

You can have just used a tethering app on the phone to make a hotspot...if iphones do that....my android does it....lol...:cool:

No you can plug it in a laptop and use it as a tethered modem. It just requires the correct driver to make it work.

Additional note the HOTSPOTS usually only allow 5 connections which doesn't come close to the amount of devices I could use.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!