What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U QOS Download Question.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AllTimeMitch

New Around Here
Hello,

I recently purchased an ASUS RT-AC68U as I wanted better Wi-Fi around my home and while fiddling around with the settings, I decided to try out the QOS feature as I have never used one. While it works fantastic for the upload, it just doesn't seem to work for the download, ever.

In my home I have three Sky+ HD Boxes which are connected to the on-demand service. As they all download at around the same time, it's hogging the total bandwidth of my download which is affecting important applications such as Skype and my PS4. If possible, I would like to prioritize these so when the time comes, they only get a minimum of 5Mbps as that's all they need as they can playback the files as they are downloading like YouTube.

Testing.

1) I switched on the Traffic Manager - QOS and set my upload and download speed.

2) I set my laptop to have the highest priority and I set my computer to have the lowest priority.

3) I set the highest to take all the bandwidth and the rest to only have 10% each.

I initiated a download on my Laptop from Ubuntu and it was downloading at around 40Mbps which was fine. I then ran a SpeedTest on my computer and it took all of the bandwidth up for the download which caused my Ubuntu download to flop and download at near dialup speeds until the testing was over. As you can see below, the Upload was prioritized automatically by the router.

Is this correct and by design or is it a bug or an issue or something I'm doing wrong?

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, I did have a look around the internet but couldn't find a solid answer on it.

Thanks,
- Mitch

instead of by device, you should try an arrangement like thus;

53 both highest
80 both high
443 both high
ps4 game server ports at highest

and set the priorities to 100% for everything. see if this smooths thing out.

everything will of course have full access to the bandwidth, but this can mean shorter buffer times, which reduces congestion

if that doesn't work, then you can try playing with bandwidth settings for the 'high' category, which should apply on a per connection basis

when you add to the port list; never add torrents, add bandwidth hogs to 'high' and low latency apps to 'highest'.

Last edited:
instead of by device, you should try an arrangement like thus;

53 both highest
80 both high
443 both high
ps4 game server ports at highest

and set the priorities to 100% for everything. see if this smooths thing out.

everything will of course have full access to the bandwidth, but this can mean shorter buffer times, which reduces congestion

if that doesn't work, then you can try playing with bandwidth settings for the 'high' category, which should apply on a per connection basis

when you add to the port list; never add torrents, add bandwidth hogs to 'high' and low latency apps to 'highest'.

Hi sinshiva,

I tried as you said but still no dice, the router just seems to ignore the downloading side of things so when I download a file on my computer or through on-demand on one of my Sky boxes, the PlayStation Network starts lagging even though it has been set as the highest priority.

QOS is definitely working as with my previous tests, I set my computer as the lowest which had 1.1Mb/s as it's upload and that's what came out in the SpeedTest but why it's not throttling the downloading is beyond me.

Thanks,
- Mitch

Limit download bandwidth

I am having the same problem with downloading limit!

I tried official assus firmware 3.0.0.4_376_1663 and now I am trying the new Merlin 3.0.0.4.376.47_0 but its the same.

I have 2 pcs on network I want to limit one og them with lowest possible upload and download 1%.

The upload works and it blocks it o 1% but the download does not, it keeps downloading as fast possible, even if my other computer with Highest is downloading something they split the bandwidth.

Anyone can help ?
Isn't this option of download limit supposed to limit bandwidth on a network computer? if not how can i do so?

Thanks in advance.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!