What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U firmware release 3.0.0.4.384_32799

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
For me, it's on both links/sites. Maybe your browser is not refreshing or something.
tried 3 different browsers, all the same, US and Global not updated and SG/UK/DE got it.

tomorrow they all will be updated ...

tried 3 different browsers, all the same, US not updated and SG got it.

tomorrow they all will be updated ...

Must be an Internet thing... it's updated here... in the US. I would not have posted the link if it did not list the firmware for download and the download works!

OE

I know, but in the past I thought we all get the same page if we call US-site, and all get the same page for UK or SG or Global (without infix).
Yes they will update one after the other within one day.

But now it seems if I call it here from EU I get a different site than @OzarkEdge sitting in US.

Updated mine through the GUI. Needed a power cycle for router and nodes.

Wifi seems much better. I get a consistent 35 MB/s both directions on file transfer (internal network) on my laptop.

i lost node after upgrade, now i can't add node. I try reset to default my node but still unable to add node.

This new firmware is nice to see ... Was going to do a full reset on the router and node to see if it would fix the wifi dropping issue since the last update.

Come to think about it, I think I'm going to reset the router and node .. Can anyone point me to steps to perform this? Both are 86U's.

Thanks

Last edited:
This new firmware is nice to see ... Was going to do a full reset on the router and node to see if it would fix the wifi dropping issue since the last update.

Come to think about it, I think I'm going to reset the router and node .. Can anyone point me to steps to perform this? Both are 86U's.

Thanks

On back of router, there is reset button you need to press it till power light start flashing, once light start flashing release reset button from back and let router complete its boot cycle. Once done router will return to factory default state.

With this update, my router lost its nodes. Nothing after a good 5 minutes. But I had to go out, and decided to fix it later. Came back an hour later and it had found them!

This was the smoothest firmware upgrade so far for me. Running 3 RT-AC86U's, did firmware update on control router and after logging in found it had propagated it to both nodes, no reboot required and all devices rejoined the wi-fi network without issue. I've normally had to updated the nodes separately with a manual upload and then had to reboot everything.

My 86U GUI is offering a firmware upgrade. I hope it fixes this issue: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...rt-ac86u_3-0-0-4-384-32797.48520/#post-427910

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_32799
- Release Note -

Bug fixes and enhancements:
- Fixed WIFI stability issue.

Link to RT-AC86U firmware and release notes: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

OE

Unfortunately, this firmware 32799 does not fix the node wireless client speed slow down/crap out defect introduced in firmware 32797 as was first described here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...rt-ac86u_3-0-0-4-384-32797.48520/#post-427910.

So, it's back to firmware 21140 and holding.

OE

Last edited:
(3) rt-ac86u... and six minutes with fingers crossed. Success. I may well be on the forums complaining tomorrow... but this marks my ?5th? firmware upgrade thusfar. And never an issue with the upgrades. Just one click, no manual resets, reboots, or config. All via web client, except one via android client.

My AiMesh: RT-AC86U Router (FW 32799)
Node#1 RT-AC68U (Wired Backhaul) (FW 32738)
Node #2 RT-AC66U_B1 (WIFI Backhaul) (FW 32738)

Was having general stability problems with 32797. My ROUTER (AC86U) would go offline every several days, fixed by reboot, so I updated to 32799 FW. I suspect my stability issues with 32797 had to do with the fact that I did not, as recommended, do a factory reset. So this time I did, on the router and both nodes. Since it was such a thrash, I decided to test performance while I was at it, to investigate @OzarkEdge's reports. I observed:

The wired backhaul reports a transmission rate of 702 Mbps, which seems consistent with my gigabit service.
Wired Backhaul.png
My speed tests give me ~300Mpbs, which I expect, given that I have QoS implemented.

The wireless backhaul reports a transmission rate of 867 Mbps, but my speed tests only give me ~140 Mbps.
WIFI Backhaul.png
This is about half the speed, at the WIFI backhaul. Additionally, my bufferbloat drops from a B to a C. A wired connection at the WIFI backhaul gives me the expected ~300Mbps, and my expected WIFI bufferbloat score of B.

Other observations: the download speed is affected, not the upload speed, which remains steady whether I'm connected to router, wired or wireless node, using WIFI or LAN connection.

I think this is a firmware issue. For my part, since I have high speeds, I'm keeping the current firmware (switching it out is not for the faint of heart!). I'll report on stability if I have issues. I'm hoping I won't!