What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81369

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nothing to report here everything's working properly on a dirty update. I've always not bothered much about opening ports as leaving upnp on always does a good job.

Ye just found out about update, so far good i can see noticable improvement connected with open nat and supported games this is first feature that will help rather than harm.

Perhaps more likely an 86U 2.4 GHz hardware issue.

OE
Yes, I am glad ASUS stands by their warranty and I am impressed and thankful.

I have replaced my 86U twice. Both times were 2.4 related. The first was the SSID and security would never match what I configured. The second was the 2.4 wireless would just die after about 24 hours when the 86U is configured as an AiMesh wireless node.

With my third 86U, I am experiencing the same problem as the first replacement but I have not requested a repair yet. I decided to run some tests and discovered this:

I reset the 86U, configure it as a wireless router mode, use separate wireless names and don't make any other changes. The only device connected to it is my computer via LAN1 to access the admin.
The 2.4 control channel outputted by 86U does not match when choosing a specific channel. However if choosing '1', then it matches. I confirm this by using two other devices to detect the 86U's 2.4 wireless signal.
This 2.4 control channel issue occurs on these firmware versions: x81352, x81351, x81049. Surprisingly it doesn't occur on x45717.
However if I change the channel bandwidth from default of "20/40 MHz" to "20 MHz", then the issue does not occur. This is on firmware x81352.

I'm not sure how this issue affects AiMesh node mode but it leads me to believe that maybe my 86U might not be faulty. I do however remember my first replacement 86U experiencing the 24 hour issue as an AiMesh wireless node when using x45717.

Yes, I am glad ASUS stands by their warranty and I am impressed and thankful.

I have replaced my 86U twice. Both times were 2.4 related. The first was the SSID and security would never match what I configured. The second was the 2.4 wireless would just die after about 24 hours when the 86U is configured as an AiMesh wireless node.

With my third 86U, I am experiencing the same problem as the first replacement but I have not requested a repair yet. I decided to run some tests and discovered this:

I reset the 86U, configure it as a wireless router mode, use separate wireless names and don't make any other changes. The only device connected to it is my computer via LAN1 to access the admin.
The 2.4 control channel outputted by 86U does not match when choosing a specific channel. However if choosing '1', then it matches. I confirm this by using two other devices to detect the 86U's 2.4 wireless signal.
This 2.4 control channel issue occurs on these firmware versions: x81352, x81351, x81049. Surprisingly it doesn't occur on x45717.
However if I change the channel bandwidth from default of "20/40 MHz" to "20 MHz", then the issue does not occur. This is on firmware x81352.

I'm not sure how this issue affects AiMesh node mode but it leads me to believe that maybe my 86U might not be faulty. I do however remember my first replacement 86U experiencing the 24 hour issue as an AiMesh wireless node when using x45717.

I use 20 MHz Bandwidth so that my 2.4 signal is less obnoxious for my neighbors.

OE

Always used 20/40 and have never seen it actually broadcast anything other than 20.

Good, the firmware compensates for you.

OE

The random drop of connection is still there and seems its more often than with previous firmware got it 3 times since factory reseting and reconfiguring from scratch.

Game Device Prioritizing sill causing a small issue. I'll email Asus and see what support they offer. I'm reading in these forums their support is not to bad, so will give them a try. Will keep ya's posted.

Just an FYI, if you turn off "Enable Port Forwarding" in the OpenNAT section, it also turns it off in the WAN->Virtual Server/Port Forwarding area.

So is 45717 still the stability champ?
I put more emphasis on security and performance rather than stability and with this new open nat feature id give advantage to latest firmware over any given previous one. The only dowside is connection drop from time to time (resolvable with manual router restart) , its not so often , (to put it into perspective sometimes once in 3 days and sometimes 2 times a day) so it wont disturb you unless you play real time video games then it might be annoying if not then i would always keep firmware up to date.

I put more emphasis on security and performance rather than stability and with this new open nat feature id give advantage to latest firmware over any given previous one. The only dowside is connection drop from time to time (resolvable with manual router restart) , its not so often , (to put it into perspective sometimes once in 3 days and sometimes 2 times a day) so it wont disturb you unless you play real time video games then it might be annoying if not then i would always keep firmware up to date.
Under normal circumstances I would agree with you, but working from home during the pandemic with video calls and online meetings all day, stability is of the utmost importance.

I use 20 MHz Bandwidth so that my 2.4 signal is less obnoxious for my neighbors.

OE
Thanks again OE! I am also sticking with 20 MHz.

Actually my AiMesh wireless node right now is 68R. The reason is I wanted to take the 86U out of the rotation to run tests and also check if the bandwidth change would do anything. Also it was tiring to reset the 86U after every 24 hours or so. I also found out my 68R is more stable than the 86U. It doesn't seem to suffer the 2.4 dying within about 24 hours issue.

The good news is so far my 68R's 2.4 hasn't died yet. It's been about 5 days. But the strange thing is a couple hours ago the 68R suddenly disconnected and re-connected. I'm not sure what happened. According to the main router's System Log, the 68R was just temporarily removed from the mesh and almost immediately put back in. It also had a lot less clients connected to it than before.

My original plan was if the bandwidth change works out after about a week then I would put the 86U back in the mesh. I am however confused with my 68R's sudden mesh disconnect and re-connect.

Working in the yard, a 2.4 client (cellular data disabled) had trouble maintaining CNN on TuneIn (TuneIn notes 'stream error'). Normally, I have solid performance moving around a 2 acre lot. So, I performed the reset I had skipped for the last two releases and left AiProtection disable. Today, no such issues. Not much there to form a firm conclusion... too many factors in play... but it's worth noting anytime you have trouble, try something, and then enjoy stability. I'll give it a few more days of use and then enable AiProtection again.

OE

Just the one issue this end. Turned the game device prioritizing on, added my device, clicked the little plus icon next to it, but everytime I change menus, the setting is lost. Tried changing menus, and clicking the little x on the top right hand corner of the same screen but it keeps losing my added device.
Same here, I think it’s Bug.

Why don't they release the GPLs?
Missing GPLs for the last 2-3 versions

Just the one issue this end. Turned the game device prioritizing on, added my device, clicked the little plus icon next to it, but everytime I change menus, the setting is lost. Tried changing menus, and clicking the little x on the top right hand corner of the same screen but it keeps losing my added device.

same thing over here. there's no way to apply the settings and i can't add two clients.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!