What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81369

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My first drop out on both channels since installing this f/w (not the first one ever)

Tempted to think it was the result of me coming back from the shop and my phone reconnecting. I'll keep an eye out but seems fairly stable other than the game mode bug.

Working in the yard, a 2.4 client (cellular data disabled) had trouble maintaining CNN on TuneIn (TuneIn notes 'stream error'). Normally, I have solid performance moving around a 2 acre lot. So, I performed the reset I had skipped for the last two releases and left AiProtection disable. Today, no such issues. Not much there to form a firm conclusion... too many factors in play... but it's worth noting anytime you have trouble, try something, and then enjoy stability. I'll give it a few more days of use and then enable AiProtection again.

OE

I still had streaming trouble on the router 2.4 WLAN at distance (200'), so I got radical... I downgraded to 81352 and disconnected the USB 3.0 HDD. That changed something... solid 2.4 WLAN where before it kept dropping TuneIn at distance.

I also noticed the Wireless Log 2.4 interference number was at -82 with USB 3.0 Mode, and improved to -92 both without the USB 3.0 HDD attached and with it attached at USB 2.0 Mode.

So, I reconnected the USB HDD and set it to 2.0 mode. I'll test that tomorrow at distance.

If stable tunes in the yard tomorrow, I'll upgrade back to 81369 and see how that behaves.

The issue might have been the USB 3.0 Mode although I'm not sure what interference is present when the HDD is not being used... but the Wireless Log was recording something.

OE

third day in and i got the can't access router bug that was an issue in a previous firmware. only restarting the router solved it. it only happened once, did anyone have the same problem?

Another bug I have noticed is trying to turn of adaptive QoS. Couldn't even try turning this off in favour of game mode just in case there was a conflict. Firmware definitely need addressing.

I still had streaming trouble on the router 2.4 WLAN at distance (200'), so I got radical... I downgraded to 81352 and disconnected the USB 3.0 HDD. That changed something... solid 2.4 WLAN where before it kept dropping TuneIn at distance.

I also noticed the Wireless Log 2.4 interference number was at -82 with USB 3.0 Mode, and improved to -92 both without the USB 3.0 HDD attached and with it attached at USB 2.0 Mode.

So, I reconnected the USB HDD and set it to 2.0 mode. I'll test that tomorrow at distance.

If stable tunes in the yard tomorrow, I'll upgrade back to 81369 and see how that behaves.

The issue might have been the USB 3.0 Mode although I'm not sure what interference is present when the HDD is not being used... but the Wireless Log was recording something.

OE

Back on 81369. Problem with 2.4 client streaming errors appears to be interference from using USB 3.0 Mode. I will no longer use USB 3.0 Mode.

OE

Back on 81369. Problem with 2.4 client streaming errors appears to be interference from using USB 3.0 Mode. I will no longer use USB 3.0 Mode.

"The issue might have been the USB 3.0 Mode although I'm not sure what interference is present when the HDD is not being used... but the Wireless Log was recording something."

OE

I've been curious about this for awhile, regarding the usb 2.0 vs 3.0 mode. There have been reports going back for quite a long time and interference issues when using 3.0 mode. My curiosity centers around whether or not people should set this to 2.0 "as a rule" to eliminate any possible interference that may occur, whether one uses the actual USB port or not.

If 2.4GHz working fine for you no need to do so, deep dependence to the device and cabling you use.

I've been curious about this for awhile, regarding the usb 2.0 vs 3.0 mode. There have been reports going back for quite a long time and interference issues when using 3.0 mode. My curiosity centers around whether or not people should set this to 2.0 "as a rule" to eliminate any possible interference that may occur, whether one uses the actual USB port or not.

Especially for 2.4 client use at distance, which not everyone does. They may approach their house coming home and enjoy a connection, but they may not suffer poor performance working in a far corner of a large lot, if they don't have a large lot to work in.

Also, could USB 3.0 interference be troubling a 2.4 backhaul, making it difficult to add a node... to add a node at distance? I believe adding a node requires all four signals to be healthy. Every time I add my node at distance (77'), it comes up first on the 2.4 backhaul and then switches to the 5.0 backhaul. Interference on the 2.4 backhaul would not help this.

Final point... it seems my backup program is not reading file attributes on my USB HDD (NTFS, SAMBA 1.0). Is this a limitation of SAMBA 1.0? I can not do partial backups from my USB HDD.

So, A USB 3.0 HDD on the router is not looking so convenient. Until I discover more, I will set the router USB Mode to 2.0 (the default is 3.0), whether I use it or not. Also, given the router has two USB ports, I think the webUI is unclear that the USB Mode setting only pertains to the USB 3.0 port (it's logically obvious, but not explicitly stated... the setting pops up in two different places... the USB tab and Administration\System).

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!