What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

384_81792 seems to have been pulled from the asus website: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Looks like that action is global. Checked the AU support page and it is gone. Sure hope the router does not try a downgrade.. oh yes, I did download that version. Good for me!

Since OE mentioned Smart Connect I turned it on and am very pleased! Only WIFI device that I had issues with was my Dish box. and a restart of Dish fixed that.

bb

Strange. Gone from Canada and Hong Kong sites as well. Judging from the posts in this thread this release seemed to be better than the previous few yet this is the one that's pulled back.

Yeah, I'm still liking this release! It's a puzzle why they pulled it. It would be nice if they would give us a clue!

OE

What's up with that...been looking to move from 45717 merlin 384.12...oh well..looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer.

I was having many issues with it. Makes sense they pulled it out.

Yeah, I'm still liking this release! It's a puzzle why they pulled it. It would be nice if they would give us a clue!

OE

Maybe it was too good! LOL
For me I really like Smart Connect now with manual channel selection...but then the manual selction didn't stick...

Which Wifi analyser do you use?

If you're using a Mac, the preloaded "Wireless Diagnostics.app" has a wifi analyzer feature. Its buried in an unusual place though. The path is:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/

Found another problem in this firmware, I cannot connect to the andriod app. Always get a "connection failed" message. And wifi drops are more frequent.

Found another problem in this firmware, I cannot connect to the andriod app. Always get a "connection failed" message. And wifi drops are more frequent.
Android app works well on my phone and tablet as well as the iPod. Am not seeing any disconnects. 2.4 GHZ set to ch 11 20 MHZ and 5 GHZ set to ch 36 20, 40 80 MHZ. Have media server and samba off. Using QOS and AiProtect.

Maybe it was too good! LOL
For me I really like Smart Connect now with manual channel selection...but then the manual selction didn't stick...

Does the 2.4 channel selection stick?

Does the 5.0 channel selection stick if you do not use a radar sensitive channel?

OE

Android app works well on my phone and tablet as well as the iPod. Am not seeing any disconnects. 2.4 GHZ set to ch 11 20 MHZ and 5 GHZ set to ch 36 20, 40 80 MHZ. Have media server and samba off. Using QOS and AiProtect.

My settings are almost the same as yours but before updating to this firmware i had little to no trouble with my router. Of course I already reset everything and configured from scratch after I had some cpu spikes that went away with the reset. I'll downgrade to a previous firmware and check.

Does the 2.4 channel selection stick?

Does the 5.0 channel selection stick if you do not use a radar sensitive channel?

OE
Yes, 2.4GHz (11) does and now 5GHz (36) sticking as well...

Yes, 2.4GHz (11) does and now 5GHz (36) sticking as well...

So, maybe your complaint of it not sticking has to do with the router being designed to avoid radar interference, and nothing to do with defective firmware.

OE

So, maybe your complaint of it not sticking has to do with the router being designed to avoid radar interference, and nothing to do with defective firmware.

OE
That could entirely be the case but who am I to suugest otherwise?
Its all magical to me and almost a hobby fiddling with the Asus firmware during these trying Covid-19 times...
I have to say that I definitely like all these updates, even if they may not be 100%

That could entirely be the case but who am I to suugest otherwise?

I think you have a general responsibility to the community here to not suggest a defect if you don't know one to exist and when you have a plausible explanation to the contrary, that there is no defect. Otherwise, you're just piling on with likely misinformation and undermining your own credibility. By this, you decide who you are.

OE