What's new

Asus RT-AC86U not getting maximum speeds on gigabit fibre

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BTW my closest server is around 35km away so maybe that's the reason for low measured speed?

Anything could be the culprit. You need a trusted measurement at your ISP box before you can draw any conclusions about low speeds. Are you receiving what you pay for is the first question to be answered as best you can. Then proceed from there... upstream to your ISP, or downstream to your next device.

OE

I have Bell Gigabit (Fiber) internet with Home Hub 3000 and connected to Asus RT-AC86U (Router mode) via CAT5e. I disabled the WiFi on the HomeHub and followed most (if not all) of the recommendations found in this Forum to set STP = OFF and QoS = OFF, but still not able to get anything higher than 450Mbps/500Mbps (DL/UL) on speedtest.net (both Macbook Air mid-2013 running Windows 10 and iPhone XS). On Windows 10, I did get 866.5Mbps under WiFi Status - Speed.

Are the "Runner" and "Flow Cache" settings only available for Merlin firmware (not the Asus firmware)? Or any other recommendations? Thanks!

Johnny
There is nothing wrong with your speed. Your getting between 50%-60% of your 866 link rate. WiFi speeds are not going to be what you’ll see on Ethernet.

I'm getting over 750 Mbps on Macbook Pro 2018 (3x3 WiFi AC) with RT-AC86U on gigabit internet connection, you have Macbook Air 2013, which has 2x2 WiFi AC (and one of the first Broadcom implementations), your speeds are adequate.

I'm getting over 750 Mbps on Macbook Pro 2018 (3x3 WiFi AC) with RT-AC86U on gigabit internet connection, you have Macbook Air 2013, which has 2x2 WiFi AC (and one of the first Broadcom implementations), your speeds are adequate.
Exactly. Your 3x3 link rate is probably 1300 on your Pro.

Thanks. So does disabling DHCP on the HomeHub help in getting a higher WiFi speed?

No. One DHCP server should be enabled on your network to dynamically assign IP addresses to clients who request one.

Google DHCP and read about it.

OE

The best thing would be putting ISP box (Homehub) in "bridge mode" or passthrough (if possible) and let RT-AC86U connect/authenticate directly to the ISP network (PPoE).

I have an RT-AC86u and I have a 1Gb/s down and 100Mb/s upload fiber package. I upgraded to Merlin's firmware (v 384.19) earlier today in the hopes of getting full (or close to) 1Gb/s download speeds. However, I'm still only able to achieve slightly less than half of that on a wired connection to my Nvidia Shield and Google Pixelbook via an ethernet adapter.

I don't have the following enabled:
  • AiProtection
  • QoS of any kind
  • TrendMicro (I've withdrawn from the EULA via the Privacy tab)
Here're some screenshots of some of my settings:

View attachment 27206

View attachment 27207

Please help. Thank you.

Edited to add that after installing the Merlin firmware, I did a factory reset via the WebGUI and entered in my WAN connection details, DHCP settings, etc.

Have you tested with a wired and capable PC (no processor power conservation/throttling)? Wired direct to the fiber box?

OE

I've recently upgraded to 1GB Internet and I'm experiencing the same thing. My Asus ac86u is currently running Merlin v384.19. QoS is disabled as well as AiProtection. I also confirmed with my ISP that the modem is indeed getting about 1gig speeds.

I've been testing speeds with spdMerlin and it's been averaging 500mb, half the speeds.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!