What's new

ASUS RT AC86U Stability issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the input to everyone who had posted. I'm currently using the 68U as root and an 86U as node.

Even this is unstable sometimes, but rarely and for less extended periods.

The IT guy at my school (I'm a teacher) will connect with me tomorrow and have a look via remote connection, though I'm not hopeful about any solution as the problems seen to manifest themselves hours after initial setup.

The reason I'm on this forum is purely to engage a community with a higher knowledge base and try to fix the issues I have with the ASUS routers. I am not a hobbyist or interested in the advanced features that the hardware may provide. I just want decent WiFi in all the rooms of my house. If the products worked out of the box I wouldn't know this community even existed.

The fact I'm on here (probably annoying some of you with dumb questions) is an indictment of the product itself. These products are not sold or marketed as sandboxes for network engineers, I had falsely assumed they were plug and play.

If I could hire someone to come to my home and fix it I would, but this impossible under current circumstances in Madrid. If I could sell the whole lot and invest in another system I would, yet this also impossible due to the lockdown.

The frustrating thing is that being under lockdown and working from home means the only way I can try stuff out is staying up after everyone who wants to use the network has gone to bed. I'm literally losing sleep over this problem

I can safely say I wont purchase or recommend ASUS products in the future.

My main message is say thanks for all the advice even though my lack of understanding of terminology or concepts has limited how many and/or to what effect I've been able to use it, and to have a little rant!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
"I'm currently using the 68U as root and an 86U as node."

What is meant by "root"?

If it is primary router in AIMesh, then it might be preferential to use the more powerful router (86U) as main router in AIMesh environment.

And i'm back....

But hopefully should be easier to fix this time. WIFI working great all over the house, Strong and Stable!

Unfortunately I have been unable to add my printer to the network wirelessly (Canon ip8750).

I have followed OE's set up notes and there fore have the all settings default except the ones that he has reccomended to change.

1. Enable WPS, try to connect to via WPS push button, the printer is not detected
2. Try to intriduce WPS pin code from printers default wifi settings, the printer is not detected
3. Tried to connect using install SW (this is how i installed on my last network), the printer is not detected. I have enabled the drivers access through firewall.

Any pearls of wisdom? I can't find/got rid of the printer cable during the move but I can see the printer creating a WIFI network on my PCs wireless settings so connecting wirelessly should be possible.

All the best and many thanks

And i'm back....

But hopefully should be easier to fix this time. WIFI working great all over the house, Strong and Stable!

Unfortunately I have been unable to add my printer to the network wirelessly (Canon ip8750).

I have followed OE's set up notes and there fore have the all settings default except the ones that he has reccomended to change.

1. Enable WPS, try to connect to via WPS push button, the printer is not detected
2. Try to intriduce WPS pin code from printers default wifi settings, the printer is not detected
3. Tried to connect using install SW (this is how i installed on my last network), the printer is not detected. I have enabled the drivers access through firewall.

Any pearls of wisdom? I can't find/got rid of the printer cable during the move but I can see the printer creating a WIFI network on my PCs wireless settings so connecting wirelessly should be possible.

All the best and many thanks

Undo "drivers access through firewall". This is not normal and not required, whatever you did.

Your Canon iP8750 spec:
Wired Connections: Hi-Speed USB
Wireless Connections: Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, WEP

Temporarily change your router's 2.4 security to OPEN and see if you can find it. Don't forget to undo this setting!

Can you configure the printer WiFi settings manually instead of using WPS?

Also make sure the printer is using DHCP to get its IP address from the router.

After enabling/apply WPS to setup your printer, try rebooting the router.

Try changing the router's 2.4 channel. Maybe the printer WiFi doesn't like it.

Try disabling the router 2.4 Universal Beamforming.

Get a Lexmark mono (or color) laser printer and never buy another ink jet printer!

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!