What's new

ASUS RT- AC86U WIFI DROP OUTS/ SLOW AND FLUCTUATING

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you like big why did you buy RT-AX86U and not GT-AXE16000? Everything is big on it starting from the price. ;)
One final ask, is there a forum that describes how to configure, like can i upload current settings in my ac86u main router to the new ax86u or will that eff it up?

Read below and use at your own risk. You may get lucky. The firmware I would run the new AX86U on is 386_49599. The new 388 has more features, but not ready yet in my opinion based on my tests. There are still broken things on latest 388_22068.

My advice is reset to factory defaults when you upgrade to 388 firmware and start fresh. The above may or may not work for you.

Read below and use at your own risk. You may get lucky. The firmware I would run the new AX86U on is 386_49599. The new 388 has more features, but not ready yet in my opinion based on my tests. There are still broken things on latest 388_22068.

My advice is reset to factory defaults when you upgrade to 388 firmware and start fresh. The above may or may not work for you.
So are you saying refresh to factory default for the ac86u as well?

No, don't do that to your new router!

Flash the firmware you want to use on it, and perform a full reset to factory defaults. Do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your network.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD
Thank you for being there! I will plan a few hours because i think thats what it looks like to me. Much obliged. Pretty sure i will have questions during set up but thats a week off anyways.

So are you saying refresh to factory default for the ac86u as well?

What I'm saying you have a chance to transfer your settings between RT-AC86U and RT-AX86U because I've done it already and it works, but it depends on the type of settings you are transferring. Both routers are similar hardware HND platform. Not recommended in general, use at your own risk. With your AiMesh setup you have to reset the nodes and re-add them after you setup the main AX86U router. There is no configuration on nodes.

Last edited:
Move all high bandwidth devices using streaming services to better speed 5GHz band. This is why we have 5GHz band - 2.4GHz has limitations. If you have devices dropping - try finding the reason in system logs. It could be low signal level or something else. To fight issues you need to know what the issues are in first place. About 2.4GHz speeds - your router supports 802.11n only on 2.4GHz and to common 2-stream client the maximum link speeds are 144Mbps on 20MHz wide channel (~90Mbps throughput) and 300Mbps on 40MHz wide channel (~180Mbps throughput). 40MHz wide channel is not recommended in dense Wi-Fi environments because it occupies almost the entire available 2.4GHz spectrum and does more harm than good.
ill give this a go thx

well its been 24hrs since set up and all appears well and good> I am not sure what I am looking out for that could indicate whats might not be working but the coverage across my house is so much more stable when it comes to moving around the house including the basement, no shift from 2.4 to 5ghz and vice versa. Its all on 5g which is great. Thanks for helping me out. Not sure if I am ready to take the nxt leap of faith i.e Merlin but never say never! cheers

No, don't do that to your new router!

Flash the firmware you want to use on it, and perform a full reset to factory defaults. Do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your network.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD
Thank you some much for the links and the mountain of information that is available to make my life easier. It's a good job others have gone through this process first as I only had to read a couple of times and it was all good. The next step sometime in the future is #Merlin. cheers

ok, just what the heck is going on with these multiple acs candidates failing, should i be worried?
Screenshot 2023-01-12 17.14.27.png

I have had intermittent wifi going down between 10 and 2pm then again shaw guy has been on the street doing stuff, which shaw cable denyvthere is anything going on, so i snapped a photo of the van and the tech and sent it, lol. I just want to check its all set up ok

Thats a no then

So since shaw boy left, no issues however those codes remain and they are frequent. If anyone could take a look to see what they are/mean and if there is anything i can to to rectify them or its not an issue at all, i would be grateful.

thanks @Tech9 for your guidance, failed messaging stopped since i changed the setting.

You're welcome, but because you have asked questions on private messages - this message is coming from automatic channel selection when the router is hunting for better channels on Auto. With 160MHz enabled messages about radar detected may also appear in logs. My recommendation is 36-48 or 149-161 (non-DFS range) at 80MHz wide and fixed control channel. This is what makes the messages disappear and Wi-Fi more stable.

You're welcome, but because you have asked questions on private messages - this message is coming from automatic channel selection when the router is hunting for better channels on Auto. With 160MHz enabled messages about radar detected may also appear in logs. My recommendation is 36-48 or 149-161 (non-DFS range) at 80MHz wide and fixed control channel. This is what makes the messages disappear and Wi-Fi more stable.
Hi . I'm following this thread as I'm having intermittent wifi drop-outs on my AC86U. Previously, I was using an AC68U and I did not have this issue.
i will try and put the settings you suggested in page 2.

I just have a question, what are the good control channels to pick for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

thank you!

I just have a question, what are the good control channels to pick for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

I would use any channel on 2.4GHz with better throughput, 20MHz wide. Set the router on Auto for some time and see what channel it picks most of the time, lock it on this channel and don't change it often. For 5GHz safe bet are non-DFS range 36-48 and 149-161 if available on your country. 5GHz channel choice is more region specific and I can't give any specific recommendations with no information what country do you live in.

I would use any channel on 2.4GHz with better throughput, 20MHz wide. Set the router on Auto for some time and see what channel it picks most of the time, lock it on this channel and don't change it often. For 5GHz safe bet are non-DFS range 36-48 and 149-161 if available on your country. 5GHz channel choice is more region specific and I can't give any specific recommendations with no information what country do you live in.
I'm in Australia

I'm in Australia

In Australia 5GHz lower channels 36-48 are limited to 200mW like in most other countries, higher channels are available and permit up to 4000mW. Home routers are up to about 1000mW and not all models. My suggestion is to try 36-48 first and see how it goes. Higher output power is not necessarily a good thing. Then try 149-161 and compare. Use the channels that work better for you. Use 80MHz wide channel for better Wi-Fi range. Close to the router common AC 2-stream client will get about 500Mbps throughput, common AX 2-stream client about 800Mbps.

Information found in this document:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!