What's new

Asus RT-AC87U - Intel 7265/8265 5GHz Freezing.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don’t see any turbo option in advanced driver settings there is a throughput booster which is disabled by default but I’ve already tried that.

throughput booster, that's the one... but since that's already disabled...

Also note that there's been many performance reports here on the forums with regards to the Win10 Creator's Update - and this has been across multiple wifi client adapter vendors - not just Intel, but Broadcom, QC-Atheros, and Realtek...

Microsoft released an update last week that should address these issues (according to their changelog).

Well I've spoken to Asus today and they have said its likely a HW issue and have suggested returning it to retailer as its only 3 months old, so returning it for a refund and have ordered a RT-AC68U as I really like the AsusWRT software and the Netgear I was looking at likely wouldn't work with my ISP's way of doing IPV6 as other users have contacted Netgear about it and they've said they wont update their routers to support it.

So a bit of a downgrade in terms of headline specs but to be honest apart from the laptop which now has an Intel 8265 WiFi card I have no other MU-MIMO devices and all my devices are 2x2 so none that can even max out the 3x3 of the 68U let alone the 4x4 of the 87U.

From what I've seen the 68U comes highly recommended and as its less complicated than the 87U (No quantenna crap) it should work much better and if it doesnt then DD/OpenWRT is an option if needed, however I don't anticipate any issues with the 68U from doing me research.

Thanks to all of those who replied to this thread the help was appreciated.

Same problem here on 5GHz, 2.4GHz working without problems
all devices but intel wifi cards working just fine on both radios.
It's been a months since this problem but at that time it was one problem with win10 globaly so I think that was the reason.Now I'm sure it is quantenna firmware.

p.s. Problems started on 1703 win10 update

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post something that I figured out with my router, and this thread comes up when you google search this issue. I have the same one. It worked great at my old house, then I moved, and all of the sudden constant 5ghz issues.
After days and days of messing with it I realized something. At my new house, I have a subwoofer in the same room as my Router. I noticed when I hooked up the home theater subwoofer, that it was occasionally making a "helicopter" noise. All my research for that lead me to believe that there's a ground fault somewhere, or some other hardware issue in the powered sub.
After messing with the router settings for the 40th time, I realized that I had the 5hgz set to run at 80hz. Which is all well and good. Nice and far away from the 20hz I set the 2.4 at. HOWEVER.... it sudden hit me... I also set my powered sub frequency to 80hz. because that's when my satellite speakers cut out.
The router and the sub are fairly closet to each other at my new house. So, to test, I got the sub to start making the "helicopter" sound again. I could get it to come and go depending on how I placed it in the room. Even just a couple of inches made a difference. What I immediately noticed is... the "helicopter" sound went away as soon as I killed the router. So... I bumped the sub frequency to around 100hz. It's not as clean on the home theater, but it still sounds fine for me.
Low and behold... my router has been up with no issues for 2 days now.

I would suggest... if you are having issues with the 5hgz on this router.... make sure that you don't have anything else nearby that is causing interference. I may still have an issue with the sub. It's entirely possible. But so far, so good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!