What's new

Asus RT-AC88U AC3100 Bricked/Failed Firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My company is UK based and we do financial tech so deal with all the major financial centers and we have staff in each. One of our main customer support centers used to be in Sydney but moved to Malaysia (as is the trend). I usually just defer to APAC folks for anything over there (including AU) as it is a bit of a different world. If I could talk myself into that long of a flight, I'd check out AU and NZ and maybe even HK and Tokyo. But even from Hawaii, it is a looooong flight. For me on the east coast US I'd have to go to Cali, then HI, then direct to one of those places. Guess could do a few days in each to break it up. On one hand that train that goes coast to coast across AU seems like a cool thing to do, on the other hand, who wants to be on a train that long?

It is nice dealing with all the different cultures and perspectives, and all the different ways things "work" in different regions (technically and culturally). Some still haven't figured out they can't send me a teams message at 3AM US time and expect me to respond (though sadly I'm usually up).

From a tech perspective Melbourne seems to be more problematic than Sydney. Seems anything we try to do into the MEL POP gets delayed or has issues, even sub-gig circuits. Luckily we don't have to do much outside of those two cities as that is where most financial customers are located. I can only imagine trying to get circuits into like the northwest part of NSW. The middle east is the worst we've had to do, a circuit we have traverses first a private line from London to (somewhere I forget), then an internet VPN, then a microwave link, then a local private line within Saudi. Needless to say the latency and reliability aren't great (though honestly better than I expected).

I mean, used stuff is used stuff, there is additional risk obviously. If you know how it has been used (not inside a cabinet and subject to overheating) and how old it is, you can sort of make the call based on how good the price is. Generally I think the AX86 is recommended higher but if the price is right, may be worth a shot. As a bargaining tool, it is one of the older AX models out there, so maybe knock them down on price some.
Hahaha !! (Middle east being the worst) that's too funny, I actually wanted to look into careers in the UAE. don't put me off it. as for that AX series he supposedly is Negotiable so says his Ad. his asking for $200 for it. Look to be fair it's main purpose is to run few consoles. a PC, Set top box & a TV. although this time round, I'm thinking just leave it as is and don't bother updating the firmware on it Haha !! assuming the AX6000 still offers a 2.4Ghz channel as I have a handful of smart devices throughout that part of the house that can't pick up 5Ghz.

Hahaha !! (Middle east being the worst) that's too funny, I actually wanted to look into careers in the UAE. don't put me off it. as for that AX series he supposedly is Negotiable so says his Ad. his asking for $200 for it. Look to be fair it's main purpose is to run few consoles. a PC, Set top box & a TV. although this time round, I'm thinking just leave it as is and don't bother updating the firmware on it Haha !! assuming the AX6000 still offers a 2.4Ghz channel as I have a handful of smart devices throughout that part of the house that can't pick up 5Ghz.

UAE is a different story. I think everyone there has free 100G internet. In Dubai at least. Delivering stuff there has been relatively painless, though it does take a bit longer as you have to pay someone off if you want the fastest delivery. Actually that's the case in many countries we deal with (especially South America) but the UK has strict anti bribery rules and these officials aren't exactly willing to give you an itemized receipt.

All Asus (and I'd imagine every home-oriented brand) routers still have 2.4ghz so no worries there. Some even support using both frequencies to the same device at the same time to boost throughput, though I can't imagine it works all that well. I forget if that was introduced with 6e or 7, definitely not common yet.

Assuming 200 AUD that doesn't seem too bad, maybe see if he'll go for 150, like I said it is one of the older ones. Not sure how much they go for new there.

He's offered me an RP-AX56 with the AX6000 for $150 AUD what do ya think @drinkingbird

Yeah only thing I probably have working for me with these guys is I speak the language fluently. they might not make my life difficult haha !

He's offered me an RP-AX56 with the AX6000 for $150 AUD what do ya think @drinkingbird

Yeah only thing I probably have working for me with these guys is I speak the language fluently. they might not make my life difficult haha !

Both for $150? I'd say 150 for the AX88U is reasonable - maybe @Tech9 can give his opinion on that model, it is older. Do you need a range extender? I guess it is a decent bonus either way, could maybe offload it to cut your cost a bit.

Well I ended up getting them both for 150 the range extender was essentially just the bonus piece didn't really needed but couldn't complain for the price I think. So now the question is. Do I update the firmware 🤣 or do I keep as is. And if I do. I have to figure the safest and best way to update the firmware on this so I don't brick it. Fingers crossed 🤣

Over the weekend I saw someone Put up for sale a RT-AX88U AX6000 - figured i'd ask him for it. But the nerves of buying Second-hand items after this AC3100 have me freaking out. Opinion?

I would get a new router with warranty. Asus or something else that meets the requirements.

I would get a new router with warranty. Asus or something else that meets the requirements.
As pleasing as the idea sounds I couldn't see myself spend that sort of money. They aren't cheap here in Australia. Something like this is no less than 500-600 AUD

I get it, but otherwise you buy a cat in a bag. I had one AX88U with intermittent 2.4GHz radio and the only fix was IC re-flow. This is invasive surgery method. There are other folks around reporting additional switch issues (ports 5-8) for AC88U/AX88U models. I don't know. This one plus extender on top is suspiciously cheap - AX88U is still very capable router. You have some decisions to make. Ask the seller for a week return option or choose something else cheaper. I see the prices on Amazon Australia and they are indeed criminal, but this is your world and perhaps you know solutions.

Yeah, I've spoken to the guy just before I purchased out it and gauged The use. It was mainly for his kids ipads and some light gaming he's purchased it sometime late 2021 and sent me the copy of the invoice. So I'm hoping it's a barely stressed device. He didn't seem to knowledgeable about these things So I would assume he didn't really mess with it. I don't see myself using more than 5 of the ports neither with a small amount devices on the wireless side. Truth be told it's essentially me seperating my personal devices and consoles from the rest of the household.

Yeah prices here in Australia are definitely criminal.

And I'll be learning more and more about networks with this stuff.

Do you have any recommendations tips and tricks with this thing guys. Definitely want to find the safest way to upload the latest firmware available for it...

The most reliable use cases of Asus' 8 port routers for the long term are to only use Ports 1-4. Simply ignore Ports 5-8. If you need more ports, buy a $20 switch instead.

The most reliable use cases of Asus' 8 port routers for the long term are to only use Ports 1-4. Simply ignore Ports 5-8. If you need more ports, buy a $20 switch instead.
Well in that case I'm safe I've got two spare 8 port switches lying around which I'll definitely put to use now thanks heaps.

Yeah, I've spoken to the guy just before I purchased out it and gauged The use. It was mainly for his kids ipads and some light gaming he's purchased it sometime late 2021 and sent me the copy of the invoice. So I'm hoping it's a barely stressed device. He didn't seem to knowledgeable about these things So I would assume he didn't really mess with it. I don't see myself using more than 5 of the ports neither with a small amount devices on the wireless side. Truth be told it's essentially me seperating my personal devices and consoles from the rest of the household.

Yeah prices here in Australia are definitely criminal.

And I'll be learning more and more about networks with this stuff.

Do you have any recommendations tips and tricks with this thing guys. Definitely want to find the safest way to upload the latest firmware available for it...

Don't be gun shy about firmware, you had a pretty rare encounter. Uploading it over a wired connection is the safest, but I've done it many times over wifi. Use a PC, not app. The router validates the upload isn't corrupted (to a certain extent) before applying it. Make sure nothing is plugged into USB when upgrading, that has been an issue for some, however it typically won't brick your router just make the update fail and you'll still be on the old version.

For this "new" router, I'd hard factory reset it first, configure enough to get in, update to the latest firmware, hard factory reset again, then configure it as though it was new. Same for the extender should you choose to use it (or even if you just want to have it prepped for use in the future).

Technically there is no reason you can't use the built in update check/auto update functionality, however I usually download the firmware file from the website and uploaded it from my PC (for any router, not just Asus), just less variables involved. With the merlin versions you have to do that regardless now anyway.

Don't be gun shy about firmware, you had a pretty rare encounter. Uploading it over a wired connection is the safest, but I've done it many times over wifi. Use a PC, not app. The router validates the upload isn't corrupted (to a certain extent) before applying it. Make sure nothing is plugged into USB when upgrading, that has been an issue for some, however it typically won't brick your router just make the update fail and you'll still be on the old version.

For this "new" router, I'd hard factory reset it first, configure enough to get in, update to the latest firmware, hard factory reset again, then configure it as though it was new. Same for the extender should you choose to use it (or even if you just want to have it prepped for use in the future).

Technically there is no reason you can't use the built in update check/auto update functionality, however I usually download the firmware file from the website and uploaded it from my PC (for any router, not just Asus), just less variables involved. With the merlin versions you have to do that regardless now anyway.
Well I've got it up and running over the weekend. And it's up and running and it works wonderfully. Tried messing around and trying something different but it failed LoL guess I must of set it up wrong.

I was thinking of running my modem directly into an 8 port gigabit switch and then from the switch to the two Asus routers I have.

Unfortunately for some reason they wouldn't work. Butt...

When I plug the modem directly into one Asus router and the second Asus router into the first one it works fine... Was hoping a network expert might know why?

Well I've got it up and running over the weekend. And it's up and running and it works wonderfully. Tried messing around and trying something different but it failed LoL guess I must of set it up wrong.

I was thinking of running my modem directly into an 8 port gigabit switch and then from the switch to the two Asus routers I have.

Unfortunately for some reason they wouldn't work. Butt...

When I plug the modem directly into one Asus router and the second Asus router into the first one it works fine... Was hoping a network expert might know why?

If you're in the US, nearly every ISP only allows one device connected directly, that's pretty much what invented the home router in the first place decades ago, they wanted you to pay for each extra device. The first one it sees after modem reboot will get an IP. The second will not. With some ISPs you can pay an extra fee for another device/IP.

Just use your second one in AP or Aimesh mode (connected to the first router, not modem) if you're looking for extra coverage.

Haha. I figured that was the case. Explains why it wouldn't work. Yeah that's what I've done. The second router is a seperate network that's all. Im just concerned it might impede on my download and upload speeds like this.

Haha. I figured that was the case. Explains why it wouldn't work. Yeah that's what I've done. The second router is a seperate network that's all. Im just concerned it might impede on my download and upload speeds like this.

Nah, daisy chaining 2 routers will be an imperceptible difference as far as speed and latency (assuming of course both routers are capable of your ISP's speed). You could do things to disable NAT on the second router (requires static routes to be added to both routers etc), or use it as an AP/Aimesh instead, but the difference will be minor. Mostly the only consequence is if you want inbound ports opened you either have to do it on both routers, or put the second one into DMZ of the first one.

From a simplicity perspective, having the second one (I'm assuming the AC1900) as an AP or Aimesh node makes more sense, unless you have a specific reason to want a different subnet or two layers of routers. Especially considering that model has much lower capabilities as far as routing throughput (and obviously wifi too since it is AC). If you run them both on the same code base (386 unfortunately for the AC, so you'd have to run the AX on the 386 code too, which is fine for now) Aimesh will even give you the ability to have a guest network across both units with LAN access disabled etc. It MIGHT work with 388 on the master and 386 on the node but some have had problems with that. If you don't care about the guest network or the centralized aimesh setup/management for roaming etc, then you can run the AX on 388 and the AC on 386 and just use the AC in AP mode, standalone.

Kinda read through this a little quick, saw you tried recovery mode. I had to recover one of my old AC5300's and everytime it started to load the firmware it would fail at some what I first thought was a random %. Router connected to PC, good cable, 1Gbe should've worked fine. Tried other firmware versions, and noticed the % of where it failed to upload changed with the version. It wasn't the version of firmware but the size of the file. I finally found a firmware (had to go back to a very old Merlin version) to find one just small enough, it was 32.7MB. After getting to 98% a dozen times seeing it get to 100%, finish and seeing the router come back to life felt great.

Subsequent testing, I also could've gone a different route say DD-WRT that for the 5300 is just under 27MB, which also worked. Then back on to Merlin, of course...

Drove me nuts for two days trying to figure why recovery mode was failing at the same % for the few FW versions I tried until I stumbled on that 33MB FW size. Not sure if its a timing thing or a file size on the router or the recovery mode program, but got past it by finding the using an older FW, once up I then upgraded to current version. That's my case, recovery mode, PC, 1Gbe, AC5300, that may or may not yeild the same results in your case...

Nah, daisy chaining 2 routers will be an imperceptible difference as far as speed and latency (assuming of course both routers are capable of your ISP's speed). You could do things to disable NAT on the second router (requires static routes to be added to both routers etc), or use it as an AP/Aimesh instead, but the difference will be minor. Mostly the only consequence is if you want inbound ports opened you either have to do it on both routers, or put the second one into DMZ of the first one.

From a simplicity perspective, having the second one (I'm assuming the AC1900) as an AP or Aimesh node makes more sense, unless you have a specific reason to want a different subnet or two layers of routers. Especially considering that model has much lower capabilities as far as routing throughput (and obviously wifi too since it is AC). If you run them both on the same code base (386 unfortunately for the AC, so you'd have to run the AX on the 386 code too, which is fine for now) Aimesh will even give you the ability to have a guest network across both units with LAN access disabled etc. It MIGHT work with 388 on the master and 386 on the node but some have had problems with that. If you don't care about the guest network or the centralized aimesh setup/management for roaming etc, then you can run the AX on 388 and the AC on 386 and just use the AC in AP mode, standalone.
Actually it was essentially the other way around loll.. the ac1900 is directly connected to the ISP modem. And the AC3200 is connected to the ac1900 via ethernet and I've placed the ac3200 in wireless router mode and I guess it's been working well. < Not sure if i set it up incorrectly.

General speed tests ive run both download and upload seem fine giving me the speeds my ISP has offered.

Tried the test on my ps5 console via its own network test, and I'm not sure if it tests it against the Sony network or not but the upload speed was a quarter of whats available from my ISP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!