What's new

Asus RT-AC88U AC3100 Bricked/Failed Firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Micky_90

Occasional Visitor
This is driving me up the wall as I've followed every possible method that Asus has provided to get this Router Going again.

I've got an ASUS RT-AC88U AC3100

I had it working fine and seemed to have been responding fine. In the Asus App on my app i noticed that there was a firmware update available for the router. so naturally I assumed right this sounds about right lets get this done it's a legitimate update from Asus no harm done here.

Well I was wrong there, as soon as the app began doing the firmware update I let it go and just walked away figured give the router some time to do it's thing. come back 2 hours later and find the router pretty much a paper weight.

all I see on the LED Indicator area is a really Dim light for the power status, A bright light for the ISP/WAN LED Indicator which is solid no flash. a slightly Dimmer Light on the Ethernet Indicator but still brighter than the Power LED light. & same as the Power status a really dim light for the USB 2.0 & WPS

And yes I've tried all these magical reset procedures that are scattered online, I've Tried everything the web had to offer apart from physically opening up the Router which I definitely do not want to go down that path.

I Am aware of the rescue mode that Asus offers as well but unfortunately I can't get it out of that bricked state it seems to be in.

Attachments

• Router.jpeg
    Router.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 69
What did you update from/to and how? This looks like a hardware issue to me.

What did you update from/to and how? This looks like a hardware issue to me.
I was connected to the router through the Asus router app that is available on the android store. Selected check firmware version. It said there was one available and I just continued on and set it go.

Welcome to the forums @Micky_90.

To be clear, you updated the router via an 'app'? On your phone, tablet, computer, or Mac?

Apps are not to be trusted, ime. Ever.

Remove all the cables and USB devices you may have connected to your router.

Pull the power plug from the router, but leave the power button in the 'on' position.

Also, pull the power adaptor/plug from the wall AC power.

Leave the router for a couple of minutes without power.

Now, try doing the reset recommended for your model from the link below.

And/or, try getting the router in rescue mode too.

Welcome to the forums @Micky_90.

To be clear, you updated the router via an 'app'? On your phone, tablet, computer, or Mac?

Apps are not to be trusted, ime. Ever.

Remove all the cables and USB devices you may have connected to your router.

Pull the power plug from the router, but leave the power button in the 'on' position.

Also, pull the power adaptor/plug from the wall AC power.

Leave the router for a couple of minutes without power.

Now, try doing the reset recommended for your model from the link below.

And/or, try getting the router in rescue mode too.
Thanks for the response

Yeah that's correct it was done via the official Asus router app from Google Play store

Ive left nothing plugged into the router at all powered it down for about an hour and back on and it reverted to the state I originally mentioned above.

Ive reset methods you offered in your response already

Oddly enough timed this but after 40minutes of being powered up and nothing plugged in. The routers wan and eithernet led indicator begin flashing non stop

He's providing you a reason not to use their android app. Use the web GUI from a computer.
Right, Yeah I figured I've learnt that the hard way haven't I, I mean I've performed these firmware updates before on my rt-ac1900 the exact same way and they completed the updates flawlessly.

And I'm fairly careful around this stuff. just this particular unit didn't like it at all. Here's to hoping that there is a solution and I can get this thing going again. I don't want anything fancy from a firmware perspective. just want it to function as it's meant to as a product.

Right, Yeah I figured I've learnt that the hard way haven't I, I mean I've performed these firmware updates before on my rt-ac1900 the exact same way and they completed the updates flawlessly.

And I'm fairly careful around this stuff. just this particular unit didn't like it at all. Here's to hoping that there is a solution and I can get this thing going again. I don't want anything fancy from a firmware perspective. just want it to function as it's meant to as a product.

If hard factory reset and recovery mode aren't working, it sounds like during the update it somehow died. Maybe some heat generated finally put a failing component over the edge or something. But I'd try the various resets and recovery mode again, and a previous firmware (if you can get to the point of uploading the firmware via recovery).

If hard factory reset and recovery mode aren't working, it sounds like during the update it somehow died. Maybe some heat generated finally put a failing component over the edge or something. But I'd try the various resets and recovery mode again, and a previous firmware (if you can get to the point of uploading the firmware via recovery).
Yeah unfortunately, 24 hours worth of this headache, and couldn't get it to even get to recovery mode. I think it's essentially just killed it and it should be binned. It's pretty new I actually bought it from a friend who bought it for his gaming setup and never used it. It sat in the box for a while so I'm actually annoyed that I spent the money initially when I was warned against buying anymore Asus routers and they warned me about them just randomly failing entirely.

Not sure what to do and I don't know if I should bother buying another router or sending it in to an Asus service centre.

Asus routers don't fail randomly any more than any other product.

I'd suggest looking at buying an AX class router today. AC class routers are effectively obsolete (with them being stuck on 386.xx level firmware doing forward).

The RT-AX68U, the RT-AX86U, or the GT-AX6000 is what I would be buying today, depending on price, your ISP speeds, and your expected ISP speeds in the next 2 to 5 years.

Would you have a specific model you would recommend. My ISP provides me 250/25 and I'm thinking to upgrade to 500/50. All my consoles are wired connection the rest of the handheld devices all wifi 5/6 compatible I don't want to spend too much and I like the fact I can get into the webgui and use the QoS feature assuming it actually works or is it just another random added feature that just is just for the sake of selling.

Would you have a specific model you would recommend. My ISP provides me 250/25 and I'm thinking to upgrade to 500/50. All my consoles are wired connection the rest of the handheld devices all wifi 5/6 compatible I don't want to spend too much and I like the fact I can get into the webgui and use the QoS feature assuming it actually works or is it just another random added feature that just is just for the sake of selling.

If you're not going to do VPN at those speeds (and even if you are) any of the AX models will work, that's even within the limits of the AC models. VPN at 500M will push the limits but you'll get close to that on AX and most AC, and doesn't sound like that's a requirement anyway.

The fact that it seems to have bricked during a firmware update doesn't seem to point to hardware failure but stranger things have happened. My guess would be corrupted bootloader but that requires serial cable, taking the router apart, etc to troubleshoot.

If it is within warranty, may be worth the cost to ship it back, as even that router can handle 500M (potentially not if you use Aiprotection and some other features, but it is of limited value, and it would probably be able to hit 500 even with that on). A lot cheaper than a new one.

Of course if you don't use any advanced features of the Asus and just want a decent home router, TP-Link may be a consideration, they are less expensive (but less features that you may not even be using). They are not immune to failure any more than asus but typically going to be a good amount cheaper for equivalent or better specs.

If it helps, my RT-AC1900 is about to hit 6 years of nonstop use, so they can be perfectly reliable.

Yeah i guess I might explore the ax range see what's out there. Yeah I've got the ac1900 and it's going strong. Works flawlessly. This one before I bricked it during the firmware update was meant to replace the ac1600 I had set up somewhere else in the house as I have seperate networks setup in the home.

Yeah i guess I might explore the ax range see what's out there. Yeah I've got the ac1900 and it's going strong. Works flawlessly. This one before I bricked it during the firmware update was meant to replace the ac1600 I had set up somewhere else in the house as I have seperate networks setup in the home.

Maybe get a used AC and wait for the wifi 7 to come out and the AX will drop in price. But that's just me not wanting to spend hundreds on a home router (got my AC1900 on clearance 6 years ago for like $25 at walmart). I've got a TP Link AC3150 sitting here but since it doesn't support scripting I can't use it as I'm doing vlans with the Asus. Good to have a backup for like, dunno those times when asus releases a bad signature update and locks every router up (luckily didn't impact me).

I went to this from a Cisco/Juniper/HP Procurve setup and I'm doing my best not to start moving in the opposite direction. Adding a 8 port TP link smart switch recently is like "I'll just have one beer after 6 years of sobriety" but so far I've managed to limit it to that. I have a 10 gig capable Cisco router and switch sitting here that I do testing for work on, so the temptation stares me in the face every day.

Maybe get a used AC and wait for the wifi 7 to come out and the AX will drop in price. But that's just me not wanting to spend hundreds on a home router (got my AC1900 on clearance 6 years ago for like $25 at walmart). I've got a TP Link AC3150 sitting here but since it doesn't support scripting I can't use it as I'm doing vlans with the Asus. Good to have a backup for like, dunno those times when asus releases a bad signature update and locks every router up (luckily didn't impact me).

I went to this from a Cisco/Juniper/HP Procurve setup and I'm doing my best not to start moving in the opposite direction. Adding a 8 port TP link smart switch recently is like "I'll just have one beer after 6 years of sobriety" but so far I've managed to limit it to that. I have a 10 gig capable Cisco router and switch sitting here that I do testing for work on, so the temptation stares me in the face every day.
I definitely feel you on that. My work is doing a network upgrade and they're looking to bin a whole bunch of switches and access points that are cisco and I've been just staring at them thinking do I go down that rabbit hole of fitting it out in my home. Or do I just keep it basic.

Unfortunately though here in Australia though regardless of the new series routers they bring out they still seem to keep prices up for the routers. Even on clearance seems like they just out to empty our pockets for a simple upgrade.

Either that or the general public here doesn't seem to be too interested in changing out routers because internet in this country is border line 3rd world.

I definitely feel you on that. My work is doing a network upgrade and they're looking to bin a whole bunch of switches and access points that are cisco and I've been just staring at them thinking do I go down that rabbit hole of fitting it out in my home. Or do I just keep it basic.

Unfortunately though here in Australia though regardless of the new series routers they bring out they still seem to keep prices up for the routers. Even on clearance seems like they just out to empty our pockets for a simple upgrade.

Either that or the general public here doesn't seem to be too interested in changing out routers because internet in this country is border line 3rd world.

The main issue with the enterprise gear is the power draw. If I ran the ASR1004 router and 4900M switch it would cost me around $25 to $30 per month in electricity alone. Not to mention the noise and heat. If you pick and choose some stuff is lower, I had a 1941 router which was ok (still about triple the Asus) and the 29xx switches aren't too bad either. But even with my lower end setup I had before it was $10 a month or so and that was at cheaper electric rates. Amazingly my fairly powerful server drew on average 50-60 watts, but that's with all the modern power saving/throttling features.

"Unfortunately" all the stuff I can get free now is 10G high power stuff and it is just not practical.

Their APs don't draw a lot, but the routers and switches assume you're going to be pushing them hard and don't have any power saving or "throttling".

I have coworkers around Sydney that have good internet and Melbourne seems ok too - wonder if the sheer size of the country and the amount of rural/undeveloped areas in between the more populated areas is holding back advances in internet. Those are the only two areas I'm really familiar with since we have POPs and a lot of customers there. Local connections are easy but I know when we got a 10G from SYD to MEL it was challenging.

The main issue with the enterprise gear is the power draw. If I ran the ASR1004 router and 4900M switch it would cost me around $25 to $30 per month in electricity alone. Not to mention the noise and heat. If you pick and choose some stuff is lower, I had a 1941 router which was ok (still about triple the Asus) and the 29xx switches aren't too bad either. But even with my lower end setup I had before it was $10 a month or so and that was at cheaper electric rates. Amazingly my fairly powerful server drew on average 50-60 watts, but that's with all the modern power saving/throttling features.

"Unfortunately" all the stuff I can get free now is 10G high power stuff and it is just not practical.

Their APs don't draw a lot, but the routers and switches assume you're going to be pushing them hard and don't have any power saving or "throttling".

I have coworkers around Sydney that have good internet and Melbourne seems ok too - wonder if the sheer size of the country and the amount of rural/undeveloped areas in between the more populated areas is holding back advances in internet. Those are the only two areas I'm really familiar with since we have POPs and a lot of customers there. Local connections are easy but I know when we got a 10G from SYD to MEL it was challenging.
I agree with you entirely that's why I have been hesitant. Just too much for a home & to be fair I wouldn't really be pushing it that hard but I've been just toying with How networks are structured and figured I'd start small scale and start setting up something within my home. Also that's pretty Cool that you're based in the US & you have coworkers here in Australia as well. Our company is pretty much international but I have had very little contact with our colleagues outside Australia from an I.T Perspective. I've been exploring the option of joining something outside of Australia and maybe migrate out of it for some career growth.

As for your 10G from SYD to MEL. let's not start there lol !!.. I have our file servers hosted in SYD in the head office and All our additional branches around Australia Access it Daily. It has to be the worst thing ever. So slow.

I'm new to all of these forums so getting insight from people around here is awesome. and if you're all sharing knowledge too that would be great. Over the weekend I saw someone Put up for sale a RT-AX88U AX6000 - figured i'd ask him for it. But the nerves of buying Second-hand items after this AC3100 have me freaking out. Opinion?

I agree with you entirely that's why I have been hesitant. Just too much for a home & to be fair I wouldn't really be pushing it that hard but I've been just toying with How networks are structured and figured I'd start small scale and start setting up something within my home. Also that's pretty Cool that you're based in the US & you have coworkers here in Australia as well. Our company is pretty much international but I have had very little contact with our colleagues outside Australia from an I.T Perspective. I've been exploring the option of joining something outside of Australia and maybe migrate out of it for some career growth.

As for your 10G from SYD to MEL. let's not start there lol !!.. I have our file servers hosted in SYD in the head office and All our additional branches around Australia Access it Daily. It has to be the worst thing ever. So slow.

I'm new to all of these forums so getting insight from people around here is awesome. and if you're all sharing knowledge too that would be great. Over the weekend I saw someone Put up for sale a RT-AX88U AX6000 - figured i'd ask him for it. But the nerves of buying Second-hand items after this AC3100 have me freaking out. Opinion?

My company is UK based and we do financial tech so deal with all the major financial centers and we have staff in each. One of our main customer support centers used to be in Sydney but moved to Malaysia (as is the trend). I usually just defer to APAC folks for anything over there (including AU) as it is a bit of a different world. If I could talk myself into that long of a flight, I'd check out AU and NZ and maybe even HK and Tokyo. But even from Hawaii, it is a looooong flight. For me on the east coast US I'd have to go to Cali, then HI, then direct to one of those places. Guess could do a few days in each to break it up. On one hand that train that goes coast to coast across AU seems like a cool thing to do, on the other hand, who wants to be on a train that long?

It is nice dealing with all the different cultures and perspectives, and all the different ways things "work" in different regions (technically and culturally). Some still haven't figured out they can't send me a teams message at 3AM US time and expect me to respond (though sadly I'm usually up).

From a tech perspective Melbourne seems to be more problematic than Sydney. Seems anything we try to do into the MEL POP gets delayed or has issues, even sub-gig circuits. Luckily we don't have to do much outside of those two cities as that is where most financial customers are located. I can only imagine trying to get circuits into like the northwest part of NSW. The middle east is the worst we've had to do, a circuit we have traverses first a private line from London to (somewhere I forget), then an internet VPN, then a microwave link, then a local private line within Saudi. Needless to say the latency and reliability aren't great (though honestly better than I expected).

I mean, used stuff is used stuff, there is additional risk obviously. If you know how it has been used (not inside a cabinet and subject to overheating) and how old it is, you can sort of make the call based on how good the price is. Generally I think the AX86 is recommended higher but if the price is right, may be worth a shot. As a bargaining tool, it is one of the older AX models out there, so maybe knock them down on price some.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!