What's new

Release Asus RT-AX86 Series Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24231 (11/07/2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@bennor Thank you for the updated post, and info. I took your post and made it the initial post replacing my own, so all the major info is correct.
If there is anything else I need to add / change let me know.

Thanks

Updating through the APP...

I loaded up this firmware. Only been a few hours but everything i need working as it should.

so far so good ...

but have you noticed that the option to hibernate the hard drive has disappeared?

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky 2023-11-08 v 11.32.17.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2023-11-08 v 11.32.17.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 67
so far so good ...

but have you noticed that the option to hibernate the hard drive has disappeared?
I just logged in to check, and I don't see any option to hibernate a hard drive. I don't ever remember seeing one to begin with though. I don't connect drives to the router though. I run Plex on the Mac, and then have it's drives connected directly to the computer, and the same with Time Machine, I do locally connected backups. I tried a few years ago with Apple's own latest Generation Airport Extreme, and the network backup corrupted itself, so have stayed local since.

i switched from last Merlin and there was this option ... and i believe there was option to hibernate even on asus firmware 23285

i switched from last Merlin and there was this option ... and i believe there was option to hibernate even on asus firmware 23285
Maybe Asus removed it because it was causing problems. I haven't used Merlin's firmware. I really haven't need anything beyond what Asus offers in their stock, and as a whole, this router is overkill for my needs. But I like having the flexibility and options (if needed.)

I see some GUI changes.

Privacy -> Policy

1699481508678.png

DDNS certificate No -> Auto

1699481647199.png

Status, WAN port is separate:

1699481609217.png

System Log, Channel Utilization:

1699481969690.png

A few days have passed since the release of this update, but on my router it is still unavailable. Router tries to search but unfortunately can't find anything :( What could be the problem?

I know you can, but it has always been possible to do it from the router level but now (so far) the update is unavailable.
have you tried a power cycle of the router, just to clear things out of memory and give the system a fresh start?

have you tried a power cycle of the router, just to clear things out of memory and give the system a fresh start?
In fact, after rebooting the router, the update showed up. The router worked without a reboot for about 5 months :) Thanks for the advice.

just curious as to why some folks on this thread may prefer the "stock" fw over what i refer to as merlinware - the enhanced fw?

i personally run stock only on my mesh (ac86u) box. i use openvpn extensively and when i last tried stockware, that interface was clunky at best.

. . . just a casual interest of mine, if anyone cares to share.

just curious as to why some folks on this thread may prefer the "stock" fw over what i refer to as merlinware - the enhanced fw?

i personally run stock only on my mesh (ac86u) box. i use openvpn extensively and when i last tried stockware, that interface was clunky at best.

I'm sure someone else can answer better than me, but I think the differences were the stock firmware didn't have many advanced features and was more buggy over Merlin. Now it seems like Asus has stepped up their game and the differences are as big now. However, I've never used Merlin's firmware for myself, so am going by what people who have, have said.

RMerlin firmware is simply less buggy. Period.

Even if no extra features are used.

There is no reason for using stock firmware if using a current and RMerlin supported model.

I have used Merlin firmware since my first Asus router, a RT-N66U. Also used Merlin on RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U and tested it on my RT-AX86U Pro. Early on I used it for the features and the ability to try new things, like DoT which in time made it to the Asus firmware. Now I stick with Asus firmware as it has the features I want to use and is easier for someone else to manage should something happen to me. I also feel it is a bit more stable than Merlin. It is my choice and opinion. Neither firmware is right or wrong.

I have used Merlin firmware since my first Asus router, a RT-N66U. Also used Merlin on RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U and tested it on my RT-AX86U Pro. Early on I used it for the features and the ability to try new things, like DoT which in time made it to the Asus firmware. Now I stick with Asus firmware as it has the features I want to use and is easier for someone else to manage should something happen to me. I also feel it is a bit more stable than Merlin. It is my choice and opinion. Neither firmware is right or wrong.
whoa, now that's SHOCKING coming from u! i've read countless responses from u and l&ld over the years on the merlinware blog, so reading this is meaningful. i use static ip's and openvpn extensively. merlin's ui (director) was so much easier to navigate. do u know if that was incorporated into stockware?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!