What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Use this to start:

If it doesn't help:

2.4GHz:
- Set fixed Control Channel, not Auto
- Set Channel Bandwidth to 20MHz
- Disable TX Bursting
- Disable WMM APSD
- Set Modulation Scheme to 802.11n
- Disable Airtime Fairness
- Disable MU-MIMO
- Disable all Beamforming

If still issues:
- Set Group Key Rotation Interval to 7200 or even 86400
- Disable DNS-over-TLS if enabled, some IoTs don't like it

If still issues:
- Try different firmware release, 386_49599 is good
Thank you. I did exactly those step prior your suggestion and downgrade; however I just did the ver. 386_49599 as you mention and Bang! all my IoT are back and fast responding! (I'm shock) now I'm 100% that the 388.xxxx have an issue or bug they haven't figure out. may be because they have focus on Wi-Fi 6 feature or improving 5g, nevertheless no doubt it's on the firmware . Not everyone use lots of device on 2.4 need it like me, but again not a lot of option when it come of IoT, except the long waiting "Matter" (Thread .. didn't make it :( ) , still love having lots of device in my house instead flipping switches :)

Thank you. I did exactly those step prior your suggestion and downgrade; however I just did the ver. 386_49599 as you mention and Bang! all my IoT are back and fast responding! (I'm shock) now I'm 100% that the 388.xxxx have an issue or bug they haven't figure out. may be because they have focus on Wi-Fi 6 feature or improving 5g, nevertheless no doubt it's on the firmware . Not everyone use lots of device on 2.4 need it like me, but again not a lot of option when it come of IoT, except the long waiting "Matter" (Thread .. didn't make it :( ) , still love having lots of device in my house instead flipping switches :)
2.4 GHz working fine here. Even with a couple of "G" IP cams. Running main WIFI with WPA2/WPA3-Personal auto channel and Guest 1 with WPA2-Personal.
This firmware seems to work best if you leave the WIFI settings alone. The more settings I change the more issues I have had. I factory reset two days ago and reconfigured the router manually. So far it is working well.

8 days later, this FW works great for me, just like all other's before...
Curious, do you have any aimesh nodes, or just the router by itself?

My issues personally really only caused a problem with my aimesh nodes and clients bouncing around. Had I not had the nodes I doubt I would have seen an issue.

What GUI lag? Clean flash and I see no lag here...

Port status is fixed:

1672369549210.png

Tx power slider still off:

1672369634449.png

Ugly GUI details as before:

1672369714799.png

Speed test still crashing:

1672370736494.png

Wi-Fi working well so far, passed the tests. Will leave it running with all TrendMicro features enabled and see what happens.

Bandwidth Limiter is NOT working. Max speed no matter what the settings are.

1672373511630.png

The speedtest on Wi-Fi:

1672373554537.png

Traditional QoS is also NOT working, upload speed only obeys the rules:

1672374005053.png

The speedtest on Wi-Fi:

1672374040379.png

One thing fixed, something else broken... both were working in 388_21709 firmware. :confused:

My issues personally really only caused a problem with my aimesh nodes and clients bouncing around. Had I not had the nodes I doubt I would have seen an issue.
Tried AiMesh many times in the past, did not like it, it simply didn't work for me, just the router is very stable and added one TP Link Access Point for stationary clients, never have to reboot the router.

A new GUI defect or effect, not sure:

1672378272813.png

Stays like this for about 5 sec and recovers:

1672378398405.png

Is this part of the GUI lag you guys are talking about? It seems like page refresh is slower.

Last edited:

I have the same issue with clients bouncing around, I’ve gone back to an earlier version

Bandwidth Limiter is NOT working. Max speed no matter what the settings are.

View attachment 46765

The speedtest on Wi-Fi:

View attachment 46766

Traditional QoS is also NOT working, upload speed only obeys the rules:

View attachment 46767

The speedtest on Wi-Fi:

View attachment 46768

One thing fixed, something else broken... both were working in 388_21709 firmware. :confused:
think thats bad? try a speed test from two different clients at the same time! (Dont do this. It will always epic fail.)

A new GUI defect or effect, not sure:

View attachment 46770

Stays like this for about 5 sec and recovers:

View attachment 46772

Is this part of the GUI lag you guys are talking about? It seems like page refresh is slower.
That is probably related. Pages that actively update seem to be the problem.

To test my sanity, I installed 388.22068 again and the problem was present immediately. No waiting required.

AX86U is going back on the shelf... waiting for the next firmware release. :confused:
My AX86U has been on the shelf since I got it. Closet shelf as that is where I have my office in an unused bedroom.

4 days 6 hours uptime since the last reset. WIFI working great! Yes, It still switches up to 160 MHz as needed. WIFI channels have changed a couple of times but seems to have settled on 3 and 48. Adaptive QOS working. DNSSEC/DoT working. Did a lot of transfers yesterday backing up my NAS in prep for larger hard drives arriving tomorrow.

Other than that just getting over COVID for the second Christmas season in a row...

As I said in another thread, some users are happy with whatever they get as long as Netflix is working.

As I said in another thread, some users are happy with whatever they get as long as Netflix is working.
That is correct, Sir! Sorry, but I don't have a computer degree or PHD, and with that router that is certainly a requirement :)
Everything is working for me, Speedtest on gigabit connection. I update and if nothing points to the opposite, and the environment is stable, I do not touch it further...

Screenshot 2022-12-30 123940.jpg

Sorry, but I don't have a computer degree or PHD

Asus and other consumer manufacturers know that. Aggressive advertising of somewhat working features and non-existing advantages works well.

Asus and other consumer manufacturers know that. Aggressive advertising of somewhat working features and non-existing advantages works well.
To be honest, always used Asus and upgrading every couple of years, only want to use one router, no mesh, but added one Access Point to manage some stationary 2.4GHz clients, simple... (upstairs office, central location), mostly concerned with 5GHz coverage, and this router is fantastic so no complaints.
Those I connected to an AP, so when updating the router, all that 2.4GHz stuff remains connected to the AP.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 144745.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!