What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, somebody at Asus knows. But Asus doesn't monitor these forums.

My best guess is 'soon'.

One other thing I wanted to make you aware of @drinkingbird when I had everything on the same network, a few of my more basic amazon echo devices would always report a dirty / busy wireless network. After isolating the bulbs to their own subnet / guests, the same echo devices report a clean and working properly network. So, I think the bulbs themselves also generate quite a bit of noise, due to cheap wireless chipsets. So I wanted to let you know I solved two problems by doing this. With that said, my wireless network seems a lot cleaner now all around.
Are you leaving the echo on the main network?
I dont trust Jeff that much
mine is on the IOT subnet with my bulbs and other IOT devices

Are you leaving the echo on the main network?
I dont trust Jeff that much
mine is on the IOT subnet with my bulbs and other IOT devices
Everything is on my main network EXCEPT the bulbs. Never had an issue with anything else. My 4 Echo devices, and Google Nest Audio just sit. I don't hear a thing from them unless I call for their help, or if the Echos notify me of an alert of some kind, be it weather, or amazon shopping related, etc. People have returned Asus routers just because they have trend Micro security built in. I'm not that paranoid. I don't use the features because i've seen it add a performance hit to the router. Not because of anything privacy related though.

Everything is on my main network EXCEPT the bulbs. Never had an issue with anything else. My 4 Echo devices, and Google Nest Audio just sit. I don't hear a thing from them unless I call for their help, or if the Echos notify me of an alert of some kind, be it weather, or amazon shopping related, etc.
The echos are popular I have 2
This makes them a target for hackers
My opinion is put them on a Guest network or a separate subnet for safety
Mine work very well segregated from the main network. No issues

The echos are popular I have 2
This makes them a target for hackers
My opinion is put them on a Guest network or a separate subnet for safety
Mine work very well segregated from the main network. No issues
what about in terms of local communications with the Alexa App, that was my main reason for leaving them on the main network so they can easily communicate with the app, and other devices that need local communication, if needed.

what about in terms of local communications with the Alexa App, that was my main reason for leaving them on the main network so they can easily communicate with the app, and other devices that need local communication, if needed.
all of my IOT switchs and bulbs and Door locks are on the IOT network with Echo,s
I use hubitat hub for control. it is on my main network, but only the hub alone is on the main.
I have not had any issues controlling the locks or switches and bulbs with echo or the associated apps for the devices.
most of the bulbs ect have access the WWW. making the apps functional.

all of my IOT switchs and bulbs and Door locks are on the IOT network with Echo,s
I use hubitat hub for control. it is on my main network, but only the hub alone is on the main.
I have not had any issues controlling the locks or switches and bulbs with echo or the associated apps for the devices.
most of the bulbs ect have access the WWW. making the apps functional.

Out of curiosity, what sort of hacks are you concerned about, and if any, what are you concerned about being stolen? I don't use windows computers, I use a Mac, and while it's still good to be safe, they still aren't as big a target as windows is. Either way, I'd rather not change the network anymore, if I don't have to. It took quite a while to get it stable as it is now. So don't want to introduce something that will make me have to start over again. I always keep an eye and ear out for strange behavior though, so if I see, or hear anything, I'll be sure to make changes asap, and that's coming from using my devices on one network for over 5 years, the bulbs to guest was the main change, and that was for their protection, more than anything else so they wouldn't get flooded off.

here is one article https://www.makeuseof.com/how-amazon-echo-devices-hacked/
You may be fine
I always error on the side of caution when I can
15 Years working in the Verizon network made me this way....
I'll check it out. I am aware of a few ways they can be taken over, so for the most part I've taken steps to not let mine be in a situation where that is possible, e.g. being hacked by laser pointers if they are in line of sight of a window. Also, I make sure they have the latest firmware. I don't give anyone else access to them in any way that could have elevated privileges used, etc. I'll look at your article, and see if it lines up with what I already know, and what it might offer to add. Thanks for the feedback, and info.

@OakleyFreak OK, just finished reading that article you linked yesterday. Most of that stuff I already knew. Most of it doesn't apply to me, and the parts that do, I already practice, and some of those practices are just good security and safety practices in general.

Also, most of the items listed there would still be an issue regardless if it's a guest network, or not. I can understand your concern though, especially after working with people in the public. Most probably do not have any concept of security, or good practices when it comes to safety online. So based on that article and my use case for these devices, I think overall I'll continue to be fine with my setup. It's always good to re evaluate though, and make changes as, and if needed.

I see the pro got a new firmware…I shouldn’t complain however; the 22525 has been very stable for me so far…

I see the pro got a new firmware…I shouldn’t complain however; the 22525 has been very stable for me so far…
It has been stable. I think my only concern now is, having just bought the router last year, not betting much more support for it, if Asus decides to push everyone to the Pro model now. Only having started to deal with Asus since I got the router last year, I'm not real familiar with how they do things. With that said, I still see their older AC routers getting updates, so maybe this won't be an issue.

It has been stable. I think my only concern now is, having just bought the router last year, not betting much more support for it, if Asus decides to push everyone to the Pro model now. Only having started to deal with Asus since I got the router last year, I'm not real familiar with how they do things. With that said, I still see their older AC routers getting updates, so maybe this won't be an issue.
It'll be around for a while yet. Asus are class leading for device support for years after launch

It'll be around for a while yet. Asus are class leading for device support for years after launch
I've seen that from others who use their products, I just wondered if maybe they were making the pro models to fix flaws in the initial products, and that's why I was curious if they were going to push people to the pro. Either way, good to know things will continue to get support for a while longer.

I've seen that from others who use their products, I just wondered if maybe they were making the pro models to fix flaws in the initial products, and that's why I was curious if they were going to push people to the pro.

No, you're making that up.

OE

Well, my AX86U has been at the Asus repair center since Tuesday and I learned this morning that "repairs have been completed" and the router is being shipped back to me. No mention as to what they fixed or if I'm getting another unit. Regardless I'll keep the AX86U Pro.

I've seen that from others who use their products, I just wondered if maybe they were making the pro models to fix flaws in the initial products, and that's why I was curious if they were going to push people to the pro. Either way, good to know things will continue to get support for a while longer.
Not much happening in the consumer router space. So it's all for money, throw in a newer soc, new name, few new tricks like vlan in the gui, newer kernel etc. Normal stuff.

just wondering out loud if that's why

Why - because of business and increased profitability. Almost all Asus higher-end models are now based on the same hardware platform (debuted with GT-AX6000) and almost all low/mid-level models are based on the same hardware platform as well (debuted with RT-AX58U V2). Altogether perhaps 20 different models with consolidated supply channels and software development. Different models are similar inside, but offered with variety of radios, with or without RGB lights, ROG or Pro (one model even both), different shapes and sizes. Some are exactly the same with different marketing only. Some have locked features and are offered in lower price category. Asus does this for years and now more effectively.

To close out my encounter with the Asus repair center...
The repairs were finished on a Friday and a FEDEX shipping label established. FEDEX picked up the package Monday afternoon and I've spent all week watching FEDEX truck the router across the country. Ir arrived today, Saturday. The Asus service Service Repair Report said the old router had a bad power switch and gave me a replacement. Right...there was nothing wrong with the power switch on the router I sent them. Guess it was an excuse to give me another router with a one month warranty.
Anyway, am trying the AX86U as an AiMesh node using the 2.5 GB ports with CAT 5e cable. I know, overkill for my small home network but it is working!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!