What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amazon has the RT-AX86U Pro for $250, I'm tempted to just upgrade. However, that's quite a bit of money to buy something I really don't need. With that said though, do you think Asus is going to discontinue support for the standard models, to push sales of the Pro models. That would be my incentive to upgrade.
The AX86U is new enough to get support for a while yet.

Amazon has the RT-AX86U Pro for $250,
In the United States, one can, possibly, get Best Buy to price match Amazon if Best Buy's price is higher (Best Buy is currently $249 as well), and then use Best Buy's 15% network device recycle discount to get the price a bit lower. Its how I picked up a RT-AX86U Pro in a Best Buy local store for $226+sales tax over a week ago.

Its how I picked up a RT-AX86U Pro in a Best Buy local store for $226+sales tax over a week ago.

Congratulations! It was about time to upgrade from RT-AC68U.

While I am a great fan of the AX86U, yesterday my router started acting up.

If this is really hardware issue - yours is the 3rd AX86U I read about going South. Hopefully you find a way to recover it.

In the United States, one can, possibly, get Best Buy to price match Amazon if Best Buy's price is higher (Best Buy is currently $249 as well), and then use Best Buy's 15% network device recycle discount to get the price a bit lower. Its how I picked up a RT-AX86U Pro in a Best Buy local store for $226+sales tax over a week ago.
It is a 65 mile round trip for me to get to the closest Best Buy. The gas and time do not make it worth the trip to save $23.00 and I really do not have a trade in right now. Worth it to have Amazon deliver one to the house.

Congratulations! It was about time to upgrade from RT-AC68U.

If this is really hardware issue - yours is the 3rd AX86U I read about going South. Hopefully you find a way to recover it.
Asus Tech Support had me reflash to 388-22068 to see if it helped. It didn't. I have an RMA even though I am two months exactly out of warranty. Will have to consider if the cost of shipping is worth it but plan to let the Pro version come in. AS for now, the AX58U seems to be working well!

I have an RMA even though I am two months exactly out of warranty.

Out of warranty means you pay for shipping and for eventual repairs. The total amount may come higher than new RT-AX86U Pro.

Asus Tech Support had me reflash to 388-22068 to see if it helped. It didn't. I have an RMA even though I am two months exactly out of warranty. Will have to consider if the cost of shipping is worth it but plan to let the Pro version come in. AS for now, the AX58U seems to be working well!
As soon as that firmware shows up Publicly for the RT-AX86U, I'll update and see if I have any sluggish UI problems. I never had any of the sluggish UI issues others did a while back with an older firmware. Don't remember the version, that people were complaining abut. I just know I didn't have the particular problems.

As soon as that firmware shows up Publicly for the RT-AX86U, I'll update and see if I have any sluggish UI problems.

What firmware?

Out of warranty means you pay for shipping and for eventual repairs. The total amount may come higher than new RT-AX86U Pro.
Actually they gave me until 10 May to get it shipped to them and they would honor the warranty. Might be worth the chance...
Will have to read the fine print .....

This is an older version:
OK, maybe I got confused in terms of talking about two different router models. I thought I had seen mention of a new firmware line rolling out, and that the X86U was due to get it soon. Again, maybe it was a misunderstanding.

As a followup to my GUI lock up issue, I've flashed Merlin 388.2 and formatted the /jffs and have done a minimal/manual configuration. I seem to have better results moving around the various areas of the GUI. Still have hesitation with some clicks which do not seem to be area specific. Merlin has only been u p for 30 minutes and I plan to let it run for a while to see how things go. I may be cancelling the order for the Pro version...

Well, it was a good try with Merlin. The same thing happened after I had just about finished my usual configurations. The GUI paused for a long time and would not respond to clicks. Reset, back to Asus firmware, reset again and tried to add the AX86U as a node to the running AX58U. The add was successful but for some reason the AX58U stopped responding for a while. I had to wait for several minutes to get back to the AiMesh screen to remove the AX86U as a node.

Guess I'll let Amazon deliver the AX86U Pro after all...

Well, it was a good try with Merlin. The same thing happened after I had just about finished my usual configurations. The GUI paused for a long time and would not respond to clicks. Reset, back to Asus firmware, reset again and tried to add the AX86U as a node to the running AX58U. The add was successful but for some reason the AX58U stopped responding for a while. I had to wait for several minutes to get back to the AiMesh screen to remove the AX86U as a node.

Guess I'll let Amazon deliver the AX86U Pro after all...
Well, at least you'll know if it's hardware / software this way. It would be interesting to see if you have the same issues with the new hardware after completing your usual configuration.

Was curious, is there any reason to change the default Hostname on the RT-AX86U under LAN? Everything is working as it should, so I wasn't going to change that. I was simply curious if I should for security, or since it's LAN only, does it really matter?

Thanks

I went ahead and changed it, if for nothing more, than to give it a personalized name for my network vs the default generic name.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Asus will release a new FW version 23xxx?
I don't think anyone here can give you an accurate answer. They could release it today, a week from now or even more. I hope they take their time and release a firmware with as little issues as they can.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!