What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 (15-05-2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This isn't an Asus issue, it is your specific unit's issue.

Don't mistake the tree for the forest.

Can you return/RMA or exchange it?
Im looking into it, I believe it’s still covered but I’m not sure how good ASUS support is. Any idea what their policy is on RMA?

No idea. Never used it. Depends on your location too.

I'm in the process of trying to determine if my RT-AX86U has developed hardware issues or not, or if it's certain devices on my network. Lately even after doing a clean configuration of the latest firmware, my Amazon speakers randomly report no internet. However, it only lasts about a second, or 2 each time. I consider this odd, since they've never had this issue before and I've been using fixed channels. 6 for 2.4ghz and 36 for 5ghz, the amazon speakers are on the 2.4Ghz network and they seem to be the only devices showing any kind of network drops. So, it's possible they're having an issue and it's not the router. However to further confirm this, I've put my TPlink router back in place it's different hardware, and software on the router end. If this happens like this, it's most likely an amazon issue, if not it was probably something wrong with the Asus. Considering this is a recent issue within the last month, and it doesn't happen regularly, and the fact my amazon speakers have had a few firmware updates, it's completely likely it's a client issue but changing routers will help narrow that down to be sure.

Anyway just thought I would post since my setup has been for the most part stable with the exception of this recent behavior. If things go OK with the TP-Link will either do a factory reset on the Asus, or just wait for the next firmware for it, and then do a factory reset and start fresh to see if the problems go away.

OK, regarding the firmware this thread is geared toward. I last reported having some random disconnect issues on my Amazon Echo devices while running this firmware on an RT-AX86U. Happy to report the issue wasn't a router issue, as I had the same issue under my TP-Link AX4400 router on the latest firmware of June this year and a clean setup. So, factory reset the RT-AX86U on this firmware and everything seems to be working as expected. Will just have to deal with Echo issues independent of the router.

Anyway I'm reporting back to let anyone who maybe have been concerned, or experiencing similar issues in there setup that, this particular issue isn't connected to AsusWRT specifically.
Also happy to report, I've been able to leave most settings at defaults except for those specific settings I change either to personal preference, or they are known to cause problems and everything seems to be working smoothly.

I too have been experiencing a similar issue since updating the firmware that I haven't been able to find any relatable experiences until now. Randomly, all devices lose connectivity to the router (WiFi 2.4/5 and LAN) requiring a manual power cycle.

I have done a factory reset and reconfigure but the issue persists. I did have a number of 'optimized' settings configured prior but after the refresh I'm running with mostly bare minimum setting changes.

My setup may be a bit unique but not entirely unusual in that I have an RT-AC68U in Ethernet backhaul and I've disabled the 5 GHz radio on the AC68U. To be thorough, I also have 2 unmanaged Netgear switches throughout my home.

I have noticed that connectivity gets sluggish for a bit before connectivity ultimately drops and logging doesn't seem to be of much help.

I've considered reverting back to the previous firmware but I'd be happy to share what I can if it would be of benefit.
The network has finally stabilized. Reverting back to the previous firmware did help but scrutinizing performance showed a degradation over time though no disconnects.

Based on issues others have experienced with AI Mesh, I decided to try using the device as a standalone. The stability is rock solid now. Perhaps with a sister device it would be more stable but at least this specific mix hasn't worked out.

Hey all, I have had an issue I have been curious about ever since owning an Asus router. When clicking logout in the WebUI, sometimes it says logged out successfully, other times it just goes back to the login page. What causes this, and when I don't get the logged out successfully page, does it mean there was a problem? I don't see anything inherently wrong here, as things work as they should. I was mainly curious about the odd quirk I'm seeing. Thanks

It may depend on your browser, it's settings, and which page you logged off from the router itself.

It may depend on your browser, it's settings, and which page you logged off from the router itself.
Typically Safari, gives me the successfully logged out page regardless on which router pave I click the logout button from. Chrome and Firefox seem to be hit or miss. As far as settings, I'm not using any special settings on any of the browsers. Since I don't have any issues with things not working when logging back in, I've pretty much just overlooked it as an Asus quirk. I just thought I would ask because I was still curious about it.

I'm using Edge (exclusively) with none of those issues at all.

Very slow. Been what like 5 months and this fw has some niggles well 388 does.

Actually, running the AX86U with this firmware as an AiMesh node has been a good experience. The AX86U gets about half of my WIFI clients to connect to it. I just use a 1 GB Ethernet backhaul which works just fine for me. I feel the AX86U has a stronger WIFI than the AX86U Pro.

Actually, running the AX86U with this firmware as an AiMesh node has been a good experience. The AX86U gets about half of my WIFI clients to connect to it. I just use a 1 GB Ethernet backhaul which works just fine for me. I feel the AX86U has a stronger WIFI than the AX86U Pro.
It would still be good to know the status of this router as far as updates. It's been a while, and I've seen various other Asus routers get recent updates based on threads here. Some lesser models, and some greater. My router has been pretty solid since I factory reset it after my fairy recent troubleshooting process. So, I'm not chomping at the bit to update from having problems. More out of a question of, is there any security holes that need to be patched, or any other routine stability and bug fixes that need to be addressed.

Par for the course for almost all models this past year as Asus has been concentrating on moving to 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware on all its non-EOL routers for a while now.

For many models that RMerlin supports, his firmware is more up-to-date and has fewer security risks.

Yes, updates from Asus are in the works.

When they arrive, nobody can tell you.

In the meantime, RMerlin's supported models are more up-to-date than many stock Asus firmware images today.