What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 (15-05-2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wow it wasn't too long ago when the ax86u was the most recommended router.. im not sure everyone can afford to upgrade every 3 years. There was little difference in my home between the gt-ax6000 and rt-ax86u. I surmise 3004 will still get more updates than netgear's or linksys's most recent models.

3006 features are completely worthless for the use case in our house. I just want security patches and for the 3004 features to actually work.

Yes, I am assuming it is also for that model. I'm not assuming my opinion is fact. But yet, it is based on logic, which seemingly many members here can't differentiate between.

I haven't even tried the 3.0.0.6.xxx firmware yet. No need to from the reports we're getting here about it. But that doesn't make it less of the future either. Stumbling blocks are to be expected, based on history.

But thinking that 3.0.0.4.xxx will be equal to 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (even if it takes a few months for '6 to get there) is also believing in a fantasy. (With regards to how long they will both be supported, how quickly each will be updated, and how secure and performant they will actually be).

I'm stating my facts. And yes, those are based on my perspective of the issue(s), as a whole. Other opinions on the value of those facts are also welcome. But that doesn't lessen what I've stated. At least, not by anything that has been said so far.

And what are facts anyways? Just opinions that others believe too.

And even if they are not facts to many, where does it say we can't express opinions on these forums?

Seems like there are a lot of judgmental individuals here lately. Thats okay. I can explain myself. I hope they can comprehend.
Probably because you're telling people that you believe the AX86 series is EOL. When it's not. Again. Your opinion. Not a fact.

I been following along and I believe nobody knows what asus is doing...
Exactly. Nobody here knows what Asus is planning or what the timescales are.

...but when you put things into perspective, 3004 is technically eol since all the work will now be on 3006 right?
Wrong. There is no "technically EOL" or "effectively EOL". A device is EOL when the manufacturer says it's EOL. It really is that simple. Everything else is speculation.

Yes, me stating what I believe is my opinion. And for me, a fact that will become true in a brief period (vs. how long I expected the RT-AX86U to be useful to me).

Do you get it now?

There is at least one other person that gets what I'm saying in this thread.

Exactly. Nobody here knows what Asus is planning or what the timescales are.

Wrong. There is no "technically EOL" or "effectively EOL". A device is EOL when the manufacturer says it's EOL. It really is that simple. Everything else is speculation.

No, it's not 'wrong'. You just don't know how to process this type of thinking (obviously).

This reminds me of this article, which shows how hard language, facts, logic, and extrapolation really are (even for a computer):

There is no 86-series model router on EOL list - this is the current fact. Not sure what this conversation is about. If it’s about EOL by opinion and personal use specifics - all consumer products are EOL for me… in case someone wants to know. Unrelated to 86-series models EOL status though.

There is no 86-series model router on EOL list - this is the current fact. Not sure what this conversation is about. If it’s about EOL by opinion and personal use specifics - all consumer products are EOL for me… in case someone wants to know. Unrelated to 86-series models EOL status though.
Yep it's all how you view it. We know that the 86 series will get security patches and bug fixes and perhaps other things. New features though are pretty much done. As you said that means eol for me. Time to shop for something new xD

Yep it's all how you view it. We know that the 86 series will get security patches and bug fixes and perhaps other things. New features though are pretty much done. As you said that means eol for me. Time to shop for something new xD

Asus needs to fix the broken features they already have in 3.0.0.4. I am really not interested in the long road to stability with anything Asus releases such as 3.0.0.6. Don't care. My AX86 works great for me the way it is. If Asus releases only security fixes that's good with me. My money will not be spent on another router with little to no improvement over the last for my needs. Way to many people here throwing there money away over the latest that is not the greatest.

I just want the thing to work well. I don't know that expecting significant new features to be added after over 3 years is realistic. And calling that a product end of life if those features aren't likely to materialize seems questionable to me.

We're repeating the same points here. Please read the entire thread before replying.

I've never bought a new 'anything' unless it was a real improvement over the old. See all my posts for proof. No money thrown away. Because I don't have that luxury.

Again; not looking for any new features from the old hardware. Never stated that. Not the reason why it's effectively EOL either.

By the same token though, expecting 3 year old firmware to get fixes is just not likely, when there is a newer branch to direct resources towards.

I can understand why one may not think a new firmware branch isn't that important (initially).

But logically, the conclusions reached by some are simply baffling.

New features though are pretty much done.

Did Asus ever promised new features? What is coming and what isn't is equally unknown.

We're repeating the same points here. Please read the entire thread before replying.

I've never bought a new 'anything' unless it was a real improvement over the old. See all my posts for proof. No money thrown away. Because I don't have that luxury.

Again; not looking for any new features from the old hardware. Never stated that. Not the reason why it's effectively EOL either.

By the same token though, expecting 3 year old firmware to get fixes is just not likely, when there is a newer branch to direct resources towards.

I can understand why one may not think a new firmware branch isn't that important (initially).

But logically, the conclusions reached by some are simply baffling.
I get it. A new firmware branch is a big deal. I have no idea how Asus handles that internally. I used to support a software control system and my spouse runs a software control system for a living. So I know that changes can be applied from one branch to another, if you have a capable system and want to do it.

Did Asus ever promised new features? What is coming and what isn't is equally unknown.
3006 represents new features so it goes without doubt that the ax86u and others won't see any new features. Makes sense

so it goes without doubt that the ax86u and others won't see any new features.
That's not accurate. 388 is still actively developed. Just look at the very first post in this thread for instance, it lists a number of new features that were just added to 388.

That's not accurate. 388 is still actively developed. Just look at the very first post in this thread for instance, it lists a number of new features that were just added to 388.
Oh well that's good to know. But it makes logical sense that most of the focus will be on the newer stuff though right

But it makes logical sense that most of the focus will be on the newer stuff though right
Yes, although in this case only a small subset of their devices are on the 3.0.0.6 codebase for the time being (currently only their BCM4912 and BCM4916 devices - I don't think a single QCA device was moved to it yet). The majority of devices are still on 3.0.0.4, so I expect it will still get a fair amount of development, until more clients can be migrated.

Asus has always had multiple parallel branches, as they don't have all their devices on the same branch. Back in the day for example, only AiMesh-capable devices were on 384, everything else was on 382, so both were kept up to date for a fairly long time.

Yes, although in this case only a small subset of their devices are on the 3.0.0.6 codebase for the time being (currently only their BCM4912 and BCM4916 devices - I don't think a single QCA device was moved to it yet). The majority of devices are still on 3.0.0.4, so I expect it will still get a fair amount of development, until more clients can be migrated.

Asus has always had multiple parallel branches, as they don't have all their devices on the same branch. Back in the day for example, only AiMesh-capable devices were on 384, everything else was on 382, so both were kept up to date for a fairly long time.
Cool that's good news mate. Yes that is true

Cool that's good news mate. Yes that is true
Well, and all I am looking for right now is security and bug fixes / updates. I have the features I need right now, and would still have them in a munch simpler router than an Asus. For me, the time to upgrade would be:

1. If my existing router physically dies
2. I get to the point where I can take advantage of a new WiFi standard, and therefore need new hardware.
Right now, my iPhone 12 Pro Max is my ONLY WiFi 6 device (actively used with WiFi)
I have an Apple TV in use that supports WiFi 6, but it's connected by Ethernet. Everything else wireless in use, is either WiFi 5, or 4, or below.
Remember, I only use WiFi as a last resort, I try to use Ethernet first.

Well, and all I am looking for right now is security and bug fixes / updates. I have the features I need right now, and would still have them in a munch simpler router than an Asus. For me, the time to upgrade would be:

1. If my existing router physically dies
2. I get to the point where I can take advantage of a new WiFi standard, and therefore need new hardware.
Right now, my iPhone 12 Pro Max is my ONLY WiFi 6 device (actively used with WiFi)
I have an Apple TV in use that supports WiFi 6, but it's connected by Ethernet. Everything else wireless in use, is either WiFi 5, or 4, or below.
Remember, I only use WiFi as a last resort, I try to use Ethernet first.
Well I can tell you the last time this router ran great was January last year I believe stock or either 386.5-2 for merlin. I have no idea how the ax86u gets rated so highly for WiFi. Nothing but bugs, hanging to move places so I can fit a new comms cabinet and move over to the good stuff.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!