What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49447 (2022/06/20)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you @OzarkEdge, based on that reading of the FAQ, and looking at Asus' direction, since my router is functioning, doing a UI reset should be all I need to simply clear values and start fresh with the new firmware.

There are some contradictions there... like 'since my router is functioning, all I need to do is reset'. etc.

IF you are going to reset the firmware to its default settings and then configure the firmware from scratch, you might as well clear the logged data, too... a hard reset/restore+initialize. That would be 'starting fresh'.

OE

There are some contradictions there... like 'since my router is functioning, all I need to do is reset'. etc.

IF you are going to reset the firmware to its default settings and then configure the firmware from scratch, you might as well clear the logged data, too... a hard reset/restore+initialize. That would be 'starting fresh'.

OE
I didn't do a hard reset, however I went into the UI, and checked the box to initialize which also states it will clear the logs and other data, clicked the restore button and then ran the initial setup like I took it out of the fox the first time. Everything has come back without issues.

That release contains a minor SDK update.
So it was not updated?
Version number changed from 2803 to 2809.

Broadcom BCA: 17.10 RC157.2803
wl0: Oct 27 2021 17:00:10 version 17.10.157.2803 (r795020)

Broadcom BCA: 17.10 RC157.2803
wl0: Jan 5 2022 22:56:12 version 17.10.157.2803 (r795020)

Broadcom BCA: 17.10 RC157.2809
wl0: Jun 16 2022 12:25:10 version 17.10.157.2809 (r801046)

Hi,

Maybe a very stupid question..
I'm currently running Asuswrt-Merlin, is there any benefit of running this new stock version?

Appreciated.

I'm currently running Asuswrt-Merlin, is there any benefit of running this new stock version?

Most of it must be included in Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7, currently in beta stage.

Still no return of DNSFilter? Skiddish lawyers.

I didn't do a hard reset, however I went into the UI, and checked the box to initialize which also states it will clear the logs and other data, clicked the restore button and then ran the initial setup like I took it out of the fox the first time. Everything has come back without issues.

[Wireless Router] How to reset the router to factory default setting? | Official Support | ASUS Global

"Note: WPS reset and UI initialize are the hard reset that will reset to factory default and also clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History. For more hard reset details could refer to ASUS router Hard Factory Reset"

You performed a hard reset, no matter how its worded and whether you realize it or not.

OE

Clean install here seems to be running ok.

New DNS preset servers add 'QUAD9 Privacy-respecting' to 'QUAD9 Safe' options, but the new 'Privacy-respecting' servers are not available for DoT configuration, and also leave you wondering if they are as 'safe' as the 'Safe' servers. I suspect this will all evolve as more more-enlightened nations demand more consumer protection.

1655747704471.png

OE

Last edited:
Hi,

Maybe a very stupid question..

Appreciated.

If you don't need Asuswrt-Merlin enough to keep it running, then you are wasting your time switching back and forth, imo.

OE

Clean install here seems to be running ok.

New DNS preset servers add 'QUAD9 Privacy-respecting' to 'QUAD9 Safe' options, but the new 'Privacy-respecting' servers are not available for DoT configuration, and also leave you wondering if they are as 'safe' as the 'Safe' servers. I suspect this will all evolve as more more-enlightened nations demand more consumer protection.

View attachment 41989

OE
I’m confused 9.9.9.11 is available through DoT. Is this some sort of special server?

I’m confused 9.9.9.11 is available through DoT. Is this some sort of special server?

Entered manually, I assume. I did not try it... does it work with TLS?

OE

Entered manually, I assume. I did not try it... does it work with TLS?

OE
Manually in the past. I don’t currently use DoT, or Quad9 with ECS due to minor hiccups with both. My bank doesn’t support ECS and would have pages error out.

So it was not updated?
Version number changed from 2803 to 2809.
As I said, yes, it's a minor SDK update. Just don't expect any major/radical changes.

[Wireless Router] How to reset the router to factory default setting? | Official Support | ASUS Global

"Note: WPS reset and UI initialize are the hard reset that will reset to factory default and also clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History. For more hard reset details could refer to ASUS router Hard Factory Reset"

You performed a hard reset, no matter how its worded and whether you realize it or not.

OE
That's why I'm a bit confused about us being on the same page here I didn't do anything to WPS other than to turn it off in the web UI, I didn't touch the WPS button on the router, in fact I didn't physically touch the router. I as mentioned went into the UI to administration to restore / backup clicked the checkbox there that states it would initialize the settings / logs etc. and the clicked the restore button. So does Asus still consider this a hard reset without physically touching the router ?

Physical button WPS reset method and GUI reset + initialize do the same thing.
OK, now I'm clear. The way I had initially interpreted the articles when I had read them was the physical method was for if the router wasn't functioning and you couldn't get into the UI, and the restore/initialize was for a working router where you could get into the router.

So the button combination physically does the same process without needing the web interface to be working.

That's why I'm a bit confused about us being on the same page here I didn't do anything to WPS other than to turn it off in the web UI, I didn't touch the WPS button on the router, in fact I didn't physically touch the router. I as mentioned went into the UI to administration to restore / backup clicked the checkbox there that states it would initialize the settings / logs etc. and the clicked the restore button. So does Asus still consider this a hard reset without physically touching the router ?

I can't explain it any further. It might help to not cling to any misconceptions, and be willing to read between the lines since OEM documentation often requires this.

You performed a hard reset. Now, reread our discussion until you understand that. And know that resetting a router is the easiest part. :)

OE

Is there a CFE bump in this release?

There was another question I wanted to ask, this may need it's own thread, but since I noticed the issue after upgrading to the new firmware again, I thought I would start here.
What exactly was changed in the wireless drivers? (especially the 2.4ghz). My lights were a little glitchy again after the update but seem to be ok now. They work smoothly on the 46061 release, they had some problems on the April release when I was testing the 82U before getting the 86U. Now with the newer firmware, occasionally they're slow to respond again.

The details I can provide are as follows:
through the Geeni app they seem to b OK when it's direct interaction. The bugginess seems to show itself through a home assistant such as google, or Alexa, and running routines.

Has Asus implemented features in recent firmware versions that would interfere with cloud operations such as this, or is it maybe the hardware in the bulbs may not be fully compatible with the latest wireless drivers since they rarely get firmware updates on the bulbs, if any.

I did try enabling multicast routing and it seemed to make a difference here, but I didn't turn it back on after the reset.

The only technical specs I can provide on the bulbs are they are:
Wifi 4 80211n, and they rely on the Tuya Smart Life backend to function.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!